[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have to take a class for either Japanese or Mandarin. I am

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

File: flags.gif (112KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
flags.gif
112KB, 630x473px
I have to take a class for either Japanese or Mandarin. I am very interested in both languages, but I am not sure which would be better to learn. Although Mandarin has more speakers, there also seem to be more people who know both Mandarin and English because of the Chinese diaspora and the great number of learners. Japan does seem to be a better country to live in though.

I am also very interested in traditional cultures and religions, and unfortunately it seems like China destroyed most of it during the Cultural Revolution.

So to those who have lived in either country, or those who have studied either language, what are your thoughts?
>>
chinese might be more useful

t. ex weeb who studied japanese
>>
>China destroyed most of it during the Cultural Revolution
this is just a meme westerners repeat because of propaganda and chinks repeat because they're trying to make excuses for how dirty they act
>>
>>78477187
Regardless, it seems that traditional ideas such as Confucianism, Taoism, and filial piety have eroded.

>>78477157
I have heard many people online say that Japanese is very useful because very few Japanese people know English, meaning that there is a high demand for those who can speak both languages.
>>
study chinese
japan is the declining shithole
>>
Don't study Chinese, please.

Learn Japanese. There are much more pretty girls over there for gaijin foreigner sexpats like you to fuck.
>>
>>78477241
Japan would have to decline immensely and China would have to advance extraordinarily for the average Japanese person to be as poor as the average Chinese person.
>>78477274
That is not really a part of my decision making process.
>>
>>78477312
Regardless, you sound like a bitch. Don't bother study Mandarin or Chinese, please.
>>
pick the one you find the most interesting. if you pick a language because it's "more useful" over something that's interesting, you will hate every minute of learning it.
>>
>>78477341
Mandarin is a form of Chinese.

>>78477377
Thank you for the advice. I have learnt a language to fluency on my own before, so I am not too worried about that. The problem is that I am more or less evenly interested in both languages, so I have to rely on other factors like usefulness and the quality of the country where it is spoken.
>>
>>78477399
Yes, I know. Please don't study any form of Chinese was what I meant.

In short, "fuck off, we're full (literally)".
>>
>>78477157
>t. ex weeb who studied japanese

I'm just curious, did you ever get to any real level of proficiency? As in you could understand whatever a Jap says to you, or did you just get to a point where with a dictionary you could kind of translate a basic text, but it never became natural or anything, and you probably made lots of mistakes?

Just curious since it seems like it's nearly impossible to really become fluent in a language not close whatsoever to your mother tongue.
>>
>>78477399
>I have learnt a language to fluency on my own before
What language?
>>
>>78477498
French. I realise that Japanese and Mandarin are both harder, but the same principles apply for language learning.

>>78477445
I do not understand how it is full. Chinese is a useful language.
>>
>>78477142
I can speak both fluently, and i am quite sure both are shit decision
Reason: it's east asian language and you're not going to use it
And in addition, you're just taking a single class on a language. You'd be better off just to take the one you feel interested in other than future and cultural thing. It's close to impossible that you'll make use of any of those two languages with some university or high school class.
>>
>>78477481
>I'm just curious, did you ever get to any real level of proficiency?
flunked JLPT N3
which makes me 45% profficient in all of japanese
i can understand text, but for most kanji i need a dictionary
at some point i had to grind advanced grammar (phrasal modes for example) and that's where i failed
so obviously i can't hear adult conversations, i have to read what they're saying and look up the kanji
>Just curious since it seems like it's nearly impossible to really become fluent in a language not close whatsoever to your mother tongue
nah it's quite possible it's just too damn long. too many things you should learn to pass N1
>>
If you are weeb you should learn Japanese
But if not, you should learn Chinese
Chinese will be very helpful in doing work
>>
>>78477557
>it's east asian language and you're not going to use it
there is a VERY SLIGHT possibility that USA gets into war with China or some shit. knowing foreign languages such as arabic or chinese can earn you a desk job
>>
>>78477535
If you are too retarded to understand what I meant, then you are probably also too retarded to usefully use Chinese even if you knew how the language worked. Please, don't study my language. We don't want or need you.
>>
>>78477563
This desu
>>
>>78477557
I am fully willing to study on my own time at home. I am a determined person, and learnt French on my own with no class at all. The class will merely complement my self-study.

>>78477563
>>78477621
I am not really a weeaboo, in that I am not a fan of anime or manga. However, I do think that Japan has an interesting history, and I have more interest in their history than that of China.
>>
chinese

the reason is simple, chinese is an internatoinal language while japanese is not
>>
>>78477664
I'd recommend Japanese only if you're well skilled worker. it's relatively harder to live on in Japan while Chinese has guarantee of jobs among economy and so on.
>>
>>78477593
You're basically supporting my ideas
Would rather die in a good way rather than getting nuked by either chinks or american shits though, not finding jobs

>>78477664
The thing is both language will do good when you're in east asia, not in usa.
You'd be way better off if you just spend those times on other stuff.
>>
>>78477748
How easy is it to get a job in academia in Japan?

>>78477778
I have no problem with moving to East Asia for employment.
>>
File: oscar.jpg (207KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
oscar.jpg
207KB, 640x480px
>>78477312
>for the average Japanese person to be as poor as the average Chinese person
Dose it mean "Average Japs are going to become poor as much as average Chinks within a decade"? I'm not so good at English.

My opinion, you don't need to learn Japanese unless you are weebs, just same as other Japs here talk to you.
But I can't find the reason to recommend you to learn Mandrin neither. Haven you read Carl Crow's work? According to my experience, it seems the situation there have't changed at all.
>>
>>78477142
I studied French for two years at college, but it's never good enough for business use.
I should have studied Chinese, because there are lots of Chinese speaking countries near Japan and it would be fun to use it when I visit them on holidays.
>>
>>78477804
>How easy is it to get a job in academia in Japan?
based on your bachelor, dunno much about tho
>>
p, pls don't abandon us weeaboo-san.
if you learn this glorious language Japanese, you can watch animu all night long and you can communicate to this wired pararel world directly.
>>
>>78477804
>academia in Japan
It's really competitive and exclusive.
You need to know right people to get in.
>>
>>78477607
>flag: The United States of America
>>
>>78477846
Hello Zainichi Schizo Chong Kim! Nice Proxy You Have A There All-Nationz Zainichi! How Is A Life In A Shin Okubo Psychiatric Ward?
>>
>>78477846
What I was saying is that Japan is not going to be as poor as China, because the odds that the average Japanese person will become poorer than the average Chinese person is very low.

>>78477854
I agree. Even here, in my own town, there are many opportunities to use Chinese. Unfortunately, not many opportunities to use Japanese.

>>78477884
Linguistics.

>>78477899
That really sucks. Is it too risky?

>>78477892
I am not really a weeaboo, I do like Japan a lot though.
>>
I've tried learning both but I stuck with Japanese since I liked it more. I don't have any intention of living in Japan but it's by far my #1 holiday destination since it's much cleaner and tranquil than China. No annoying street merchants, no scammers, pretty much zero crime. I'm not a weeb either, but I can definitely vouch for Japanese, they have a lot of cool things to see and do.

However, I have no advice in terms of work, but I know for a fact that it's hard as fuck to get a job as a foreigner, unless you're highly skilled or willing to become an english teaching slave.
>>
>>78477607
why are chinks such fuckwits
>>
>>78478025
stay out of this, emu gofer. i don't like her because she is an ugly kike with an unattractively large jew nose.
>>
>>78477607
you can stop pretending to be chinese now
>>
>>78478009
Japan is slowly changing, some companies adopt 3 days off in a week.
in my case, I work 5days but 3days are nomad style. I work in a cafe, library or any place you want to work. so no stress, no tired.
>>
>>78477930
>risky
>専業非常勤講師は約6割で、平均勤続年数は約11年、平均年齢は40代半ば。
>平均年収は約306万円。
The average annual income is 30.6 mill.
>そのうち44%は年収250万円以下
44% of it makes below 2.5mill. p.a.

don't.
>>
>>78477341
>american education
>>
Taiwanese Mandarin is the only right choice desu in order to wed qt3.14 Taiwanese waifu
>>
File: thanks.jpg (116KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
116KB, 640x360px
>>78477930
>>for the average Japanese person to be as poor as the average Chinese person.

OH I GOT YOU you said
>>Japan have to decline and China have to advance extraordinarily to make a situation in which ordinal Japanese are as poor as average Chinese are.
Thanks, thanks thanks, US anon-san.
>>
File: haha oui.jpg (13KB, 344x500px) Image search: [Google]
haha oui.jpg
13KB, 344x500px
>>78478107
That sounds great. Do you think these changes will speed up?

>>78478137
That is a shame.

>>78478184
I am glad I could help. Be glad that you are learning English grammar, learning Japanese grammar is a very difficult challenge.
>>
>>78478232
umm. maybe no. but depends
If you have programming skills, you can work free style. but if you choose typical Japanese shit companies, you life will be end.
>>
Japanese

China is becoming more anti foreign and nationalistic by the month. It's not ever going to be useful to you. You're not ever going to be some big shot with an office in Beijing or Shanghai doing business with chinks and speaking in mandarin with them, trust me. lol

That's a fucking fantasy that literally never comes true for all these retards that parrot the "learn Chinese, iz gud 4 biznezz!" line like fucking sheep.
>>
>>78478335
Frankly, I am not interested in business. I am interested in linguistics, history, linguistics, anthropology, etc.
>>
you should learn spanish. japan is over. china will slow to more normal growth. Mexico is going to be the next low-income/high-growth economy in the coming years.
>>
File: ellen.jpg (19KB, 338x435px) Image search: [Google]
ellen.jpg
19KB, 338x435px
>>78478232
"For" is such a useful word as it can be used as either meaning of "because" or "in order to".
(Dose this sentence work? Is there any other expression I shoud take?)

Besides, as for grammer, I think Mandrin is far more similar to Western languages than Japanese, hence it's far easier to learn Mandrin for you I think.
>>
>>78477142
Study Chinese. As someone who fell for the "study Japanese to watch anime without subs or dubs" meme, it's really not worth investing the time in studying a language with little use outside of being a weeb.
>>
File: smile.jpg (6KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
6KB, 320x180px
>>78478493
This.
We shall always learn much about the neighbors rather than the opposite side of the earth.
>>
>>78478548
I will try to explain this with a few examples :).

To explain the instance in which I used it, '___ would have to ___ for ___ to happen.' This would mean that the first thing, a noun, would have to do something, a verb, to get the final result.
'He would have to practice to improve.'
This means that he must practice if he wants to improve.

For can show a duration. An amount of time.
I will be here *for* three hours.

It can also mean 'because,' but this is archaic.
'I will put on a coat, for it is winter.'
This is possible, but rare, and is an older usage.
To respond to your statement about Mandarin, yes, I think Mandarin is overall a bit easier. However, easiness is not a major factor for me. I would prefer to learn a language based on my interest, rather than how easy it will be.

>>78478589
I am not really interested in learning Japanese to watch anime or manga, but rather to open up job opportunities in Japan or working with Japanese people. I also am interested in Japan, and would not mind living there.
>>
>>78478700
To clarify on my first explanation,
'For him to improve, he would have to practice.'
'He would have to practice for him to improve.'

Those are better wordings for the example.
>>
>>78478725
if the purpose is to open up job opportunities, you're better off learning mandarin. bigger target audience.
>>
Japanese can read Chinese classics literature more than Chinese.
>>
File: dumbu shitu.png (35KB, 213x291px) Image search: [Google]
dumbu shitu.png
35KB, 213x291px
>>78478885
>>
>>78478885
How?

>>78478817
My only fear is that it is a less valuable skill, because more people can do it.
>>
File: beatle.jpg (78KB, 611x404px) Image search: [Google]
beatle.jpg
78KB, 611x404px
>>78478700
>>78478725
I appreciate your detailed explanation. I totally understood.
"for" as meaning of "because" is relatively popular here, at least for me, because of lyric below being popular at least for me.
>>for I don't care to much for money for money can't buy me love.

>> job opportunities in Japan
I occasionally see people saying it, and why those Gaijin-san won't intend to get a job rather in embassy / miitary / a huge company in your cunt which has branch office here, which will pay you tons of salary and prepare very nice circumstance to live?
>>
>>78479134
That is a possibility. I enjoy studying languages, history, ancient texts, philology, things like that. It is a shame that it is difficult to get a job in fields like those. Ideally, I would make a living off translating ancient texts into English.
>>
Japanese and Chinese are very different languages.
I wonder why 毎回日本語と中国語が比べられているのか like this thread.
>>
>>78479348
何故一部分が日本語?ってのはともかくこの手の質問で最初に"言語を学んで何がしたいのか"を書いていない事が多すぎるよな

仕事がしたい、文化を楽しみたいとかね
>>
>>78479371
Yeah, I totally agree.
OP is a 同性愛者のカマホモ野郎
>>
>>78478493
CHI
>>
File: kanzan.jpg (23KB, 402x390px) Image search: [Google]
kanzan.jpg
23KB, 402x390px
>>78479302
>translating ancient texts into English.
Hardwork though.. actually even most of us feel hard, or almost impossible when hitting on some of those ancient texts. Furthermore most popular works must be already well studied by predecessors...
And it seems the works to be on everyone's lips were already achieved by guys like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5LY4Mz15o

But if you are serious there shall be something left between layers of history.
I wish everything will go well in your plan. Thank you for talking.
>>
File: polar bear.jpg (325KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
polar bear.jpg
325KB, 1200x799px
>>78479672
Yes, thank you.
>>
>>78477142
>Chinese diaspora
but they mainly speak Cantonese and also use traditional forms of Kanji
just learn Mandarin and simplified forms of Kanji if you are interested in cultures of mainland China
>>
>>78480174
That is very true, I had not thought of that.

Like I said though, the traditional culture of mainland China has been greatly eroded. The Cultural Revolution caused the destruction of much of China's traditions.
>>
>>78477892
>and you can communicate to this wired pararel world directly.
Lies. The fact is you don't want filthy gaijin speaking japanese at all.
>>
>>78477142
I think I saw you a couple months ago.
Have't you made a decision yet?!
You'd have memorized a thousand of words if you made it that time. What a waste of time! MAKE THE DECISION HERE NOW.
>>
chinese
japanese are becoming extinct
>>
>>78477142
Japan has a better phd program than China.

Most foreigners get scammed when it comes to Chinese phds.
>>
File: 62316498.jpg (54KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
62316498.jpg
54KB, 500x381px
>>78477142

ITT
>>
>>78480667
>You'd have memorized a thousand of words if you made it that time
If he chose chinese, yes. It would take much longer for Japanese.
>>
>>78477884
>>78477899
Depends on what kind of academia you want to do in Japan.

In any country, becoming a professor is hard because those old fucks won't fucking retire quicker.
>>
>>78480697
No we don't have. And gaijins in Japan tend to be lonely and stat to hate Japan. Then, shitposting on Japantoday where gaijin losers gather
>>
>>78478009
The majority of foreigners with no skills do end up being english teaching slaves.

The ones with some personality can get work doing stuff for like NHK but its rare.

There's a lot of successful foreign chefs or bakers in Japan, though.

The world's "best" bakers from countries like France open bakeries in Japan because Japan has more demand for French bread than even the native French these days.

Anyways, the point of my post is that skilled foreigners will have a much easier time living in Japan than those who do not.

Unless you get lucky and work for Costco in Japan and are content to work for Japanese Costco the rest of your life until Costco decides to quit from Japan.
>>
>>78478641
>>78478493
Not until Mexico goes Mussolini and the cartel becomes extinct in a week
>>
>>78478589
And how is Chinese useful other than being able to read a Chinese restaurant menu better?

The only businesses associated with Chinese is Silicon Valley or the rare earth metal industry.

But they aren't gonna hire a white guy to do that when they can hire a Chinese American instead.
>>
>>78478817
Tell me what job opportunities are in China when America has more Japanese branches in Japan as opposed to Chinese branches in China?
>>
>>78480740
A lot of foreigner researchers are in Riken University.

Quit lying, English teacher.

http://www.riken.jp/en/about/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riken
>>
>>78480884
If you are a person who can get a job in Riken, you may get paid in any other cunt. They were literally carrying out research on nuke bombs during the war.

besides, there are also fuckin sluts getting positions through connection.
>>
>>78477142
I know people who work in Toyota America that get a chance to rotate jobs at Toyota Japan. They are engineers though and weeaboos. I think there is a greater chance of that happening if you tell Toyota that you know Japanese should you be employed by Toyota.

There are definitely some Lexus foreigners in Japan as well.

I guess in the end, it depends on what kind of industry you want to join in Japan.
>>
>>78478885
Are you sure? Ordinary Chinese people also learn 漢詩(or 唐詩 in Chinese) in their schools. Furthermore, they learn those poetries in Chinese language while Japanese learn and read them in Japanese.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.