[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/int/lang pt. II

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

File: 2613.png (646KB, 750x690px) Image search: [Google]
2613.png
646KB, 750x690px
We had a thread about /int/ users creating a language, so I invite all linguistic geeks to come contribute.

What we have so far:

>Alphabet contains no special characters for ease of typing

>Grammar is completely regular and quite simple

>Vocabulary planned to be fairly limited, at least for now, to avoid making users spending hours each day learning a huge vocabulary

>Words mostly based on simplified versions of reconstructed Proto-Indo-European words
>>
>>78400528
Some helpful links

Interactive International Phonetic Alphabet chart
http://www.ipachart.com

Proto-Indo-European dictionary-translator
https://indo-european.info/dictionary-translator/translate/English/Indo-European

A random language generator
vulgarlang.com

The basics of building a language
https://youtu.be/sFWc0sBO62c
>>
As of right now our phonemes are

>Consonant inventory
/b d f g h j k l m n p s t tʃ v w z ɾ ʃ ʒ/

>Vowel inventory
/a e i o u/

I feel this is the easiest way to have a natural sounding language without being overly difficult or too simplified.
>>
>>78400915
We have yet to plan out an orthography, but I was hoping some anons will come tribute some good ideas.

I think the best course of action for phonemes like tʃ, ʃ, and ʒ could just be written using letter combinations; ch, sh, and zh respectively. Everything is still open for doscussion so feel free to suggest anything.
>>
>>78401010
As for vocabulary, going back to the Proto-Indo-European word base, I think finding appropriate similar meanings and simplifying the words would be the best course of action. (Dictionary can be found in above post)

The simplification of words is mainly just for two reasons; Pragmatism, most importantly, and aesthetic value (whether or not it "looks right" with the rest of our vocabulary).

So first we have a simplification due to pragmatic value of the word. Take for instance "kémelom," which is the PIE word for "heaven." We aren't using diacritical marks, and this word is quite long, and can therefore be shortened to "kemel."

Next, simplification due to aesthetics. Let's now take the PIE word, "bharsjom" meaning, "bread." Theoretically we could just shorten it to, "bars," but I feel as though the aesthetic of, "pan/pans/pansi" fits better with the aesthetic of the language, and is also more easily understood among modern speakers of IE languages.

Some words require little to no change. For example, "God" in PIE is "Deiwos." As this doesn't contain any special characters and really isn't that long, I see no reason to change it.
>>
>>78401256
As for grammatical structure, I feel as though simplifying it too much would cause it to be difficult to gain meaning from more complex texts, but the aim is to keep it as simple as possible while retaining a good level of understanding without having to write a book.

The way I see it working out best would be to sort of copy the particle system found in languages like Chinese and Indonesian. What I mean by that is, having separate words one can "attach" to existing vocabulary to modify its meaning without extensive use of tenses, cases, and declensions.

For example, let's compare some example sentences.

>Man ambet krinadoms.
Literally, "Me travel buyhouse."
I go/I'm going to the store.

If we take a particle and attach it to the verb, amb (to go/travel) we can make it have a different tense without enhancing the grammar.

>Man par-ambet krinadoms.
Literally, "Me pre-travel buyhouse."
I went to the store.

This particle was taken from the PIE "pṛnos" literally meaning "past"
>>
File: 1377363144588.jpg (175KB, 317x699px) Image search: [Google]
1377363144588.jpg
175KB, 317x699px
>>
>tfw last thread had 60+ posts and this one is destined for death
>>
instead of basing words off European languages just make new ones
>>
>>78402267
It's easier for most people on /int/ to learn familiar sounding words, as well as deduce the meaning of existing words which they don't know.
>>
Happens every year
>>
A small dialogue showing how you can play with the simplistic grammar.

Person A: Dwen dien!
Person B: Dien dwen. Ki ast tu-me nom?
Person A: Man-me nom ast Josef. I tu?
Person B: Nom man-me Shtefan ast.
Person A: Dwen ajko tu, Stefan.
Person B: Toke dwen ajko tu, Josef.
Person A: Kal ast tu is-dien, Shtefan?
Person B: Abro dwen, grasha. I tu?
Person A: Toke dwen.
Person B: Retis, Josef.
Person A: Retis, Shtefan.

Will post the translation next
>>
>>78402511
>Person A: Dwen dien!
Good day!

>Person B: Dien dwen. Ki ast tu-me nom?
Day good! What is you-possessive name?

>Person A: Man-me nom ast Josef. I tu?
Me-possessive name is Joseph. And you?

>Person B: Nom man-me Shtefan ast.
Name me-possessive Stephen is.

>Person A: Dwen ajko tu, Stefan.
Good meet you, Stephen.

>Person B: Toke dwen ajko tu, Josef.
Also/too good meet you, Joseph.

>Person A: Kal ast tu is-dien, Shtefan?
How is you this-day, Stephen?

>Person B: Abro dwen, grasha. I tu?
Much good, thanks. And you?

>Person A: Toke dwen.
Also good.

>Person B: Retis, Josef.
Goodbye, Joseph.

>Person A: Retis, Shtefan.
Goodbye, Stephen.
>>
>>78402657

Looks like Latin mixed with Farsi.
>>
Let's make a language only with vocals!!
>>
>>78402511
>>
>>78402329
And it fails because the people who end up being he biggest contributors know nothing about linguistics or how to make a natural looking language.
>>
File: eb4.jpg (32KB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
eb4.jpg
32KB, 600x486px
whats it called

is there a forum
>>
>>78402721
How would we type in it online?

>>78402811
No name yet, I wanted to let collaboration take its effect and we could eventually give it a name.

No forum yet but as soon as I get back to my house I'll start some collaborative resources up, like some Google docs and maybe a proboards. Really though, I'd just like to have daily general threads, like the Swedes and the Latinos have.
>>
>>78402943
Here's my take on the Lord's prayer

Nosh-me Pater, ki ast an Kemel
>Us-poss Father, what is in Heaven

Sanktis ast Tu-me Nom
>Sanctify is you-poss Name

Tu-me Reg ejket
>You-poss Kingdom come

Tu-me Welti didemet
>You-poss Will do

An Ters Kal ast an Kemel
>On Earth how is in Heaven

Dintet-nosh is dien nosh-me dienpan
>Give-we this day we-poss day read

I ludet-nosh nosh-me delegs
>and free-we we-poss debt

Kal nosh ludet nosh-me delegswiroms
>How we free we-poss debt man

I na wedet-nosh an temptashons
>And not lead-we in temptation

Mo smejet-nosh po skelis.
>But send-we from evil.
>>
Needs more chan terms

Thread, post, weeaboo, etc
>>
I suggest vowel harmony
>>
>>78403538
For now we can just use our spelling on the existing words until we flesh out the full lexicon. At the moment they're tredis, wejabu, and postis(noun)/poster(verb)
>>
>>78403565
Vowel harmony for creating plurals or all words in general?

I haven't created a complete system of plural mounds yet. Still debating on how to do it, so at the moment it's a very good possibility to implement
>>
>>78403565

Doesn't mean much unless the language is agglutinative with super long words
>>
>>78403635
Postet*

So far I have verbs ending in -et and nouns ending in -s/-is
>>
>>78401010
>I think the best course of action for phonemes like tʃ, ʃ, and ʒ could just be written using letter combinations; ch, sh, and zh respectively
Or just use the Cyrillic alphabet and write them as ч, ш and ж.
>>
>>78403815
I planned on building a separate orthography for both Cyrillic and Greek. I think Cyrillic would probably work best though.
>>
>>78403815

Op said he wanted it to be easy to type

Most people don't have Russian keyboards
>>
>>78404275
I think having multiple possible writing systems is a god thing though. Also writing Cyrillic without a Cyrillic keyboard is easily done with a grease monkey script if one so pleased.
>>
>>78404493
>grease monkey script
windows literally has a built-in screen keyboard

you only should add a russian layout which is again built-in in any windows. when you add it you also can type russian with your ordinary keyboard too (alt+shift is the most common layout switch) but you need either key stickers or to sign your keys or something so usually it's not very practical
>>
>>78404547
Thanks for the info, but IIRC the script just transliterates the letters you type into their Cyrillic equivalent, rather than needing to remember a different keyboard layout.
>>
If enough people are interested I can go ahead and get started on a forum if you guys want
>>
>>78400528
It's called English
>>
>>78400528
Serious bump though genuinely interested because this would be fun, keep posting these generals
>>
http://intlang.boards.net/

It's very raw right now and there isn't a lot of content, but we can have a place to keep concrete development projects outside of threads, to better contribute to daily generals.
>>
>>78405936
bump, if you're interested just sign up on the forum and let's start building this
>>
Fuck articles

To ensure maximum shitposting in the 2000 character limit we should not include an indefinite article and include an optional definite marker (perhaps a postposition like in northern Germanic languages if that's not too wacky)

I feel like we should start with translating the first 500 most frequent words in english and perhaps make a list of shitposting-specific words which need translations
>>
>>78406529
IMO articles aren't needed and I wasn't planning on adding any at all.
>>
>>78407262
i feel like an optional definite article/marker might prove useful

i also wonder how we're going to make this work with regards to publicity seeing as we now have a seperate forum for discussion
>>
>>78407366
The forum is just to store information. Our main means of communication will be daily generals on /int/
>>
>>78407366
It could work, yes. We'll have to come together as a group and decide on it. I'm for it if everyone else is.
>>
I like language learning but this is just autistic and will never set off.
It's like the /g/s Linux distro.
Failed before it even started.
>>
>>78407627
It will succeed if more people contribute. Join our forum and start posting stuff, mate.
>>
>>78407473
>>78407580

great.

i am currently making a start with translating the words from this page : http://www.talkenglish.com/vocabulary/top-1500-nouns.aspx

i feel like we should also look into the following before going any further:

1. how verbs work

I'm not saying we should have conjugation but perhaps having all verbs and in the same syllable might prove useful (-er if preceded by a consonant, -ner if preceded by a vowel for instance)

perhaps this rigidity could also come in handy in other word classes. like having all adjectives end in a certain syllable, etc.

2. an orthography

i really have no idea how to go about this
>>
>>78407754
Very nice. I like the idea. Let me know if you need any assistance.

I didn't want to go ahead and flesh out too much, so I could leave room for other anons to contribute.
>>
>>78407839
can't really find good translations for information, system,data, understanding, theory, especially without exhausting the word gnot (knowledge) which i have overused already
>>
>>78407580
>>78407473
this is what i got so far, will also post to the forum.

the numbers refer to words from the list above
the letters are other words i came up with in the process (not necissarrily nouns)
below are ideas i came up with with regards to morphology (mostly redundant as they're explained in the list but it is nice to have them in one place)

english / intlang [etymology](notes)
1. people / wolgos
2. history / prosgnot [pros from prnos meaning "past" and gnot from gnotis, meaning "knowledge"]
3. way / pont
4. art / artis
5. world / dobnom
6. information / _ (can't think of anything, i feel like making some weird compound word might be too retarded)
7. map / zemel [lithuanian]
8. two / dwo
9. family / wenya
10. government / kubernan [greek] (perhaps -nan could be a good gerund marker, see e.)
11. health / koiluta (are we doing diftongs?)
12. system / _
13. computer / legegnot [leger + gnot : reads knowledge] ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
14. meat / memsom
15. year / atnos
16. thanks / grat-tu [latin gratus + you]
17. music / musik
18. person / wiro [wiros literally translates to man, but man will be mannus]
19. reading / legenan [leger + nan]
20. method / gnotpont [knowledge + way]
21. data / _
22. food / pasknis
23. understanding / _
24. theory / _

a. past / pros
b. knowledge / gnot [could be an -ology / -any translation, for instance: biology: sitagnot ]
c. life /sita
d. to be / esmi (conjugated: esmer / esminer, i don't know which one you prefer)
e. being|creature / esminan [to be + gerund marker]
f. to read / leger
g. shit / skerd
h. post / lom [pie for "sign" is gnotlom]
i. shitpost / skerdlom
j. new / nos
k. man / mannus
l. love / amayo
m. homosexual / manamayo
n. newfag / nosmanamayo

ideas:
-nan might function as a gerund marker: kubernan (government) from kuber (to govern) and esminan (being) from esmi (to be)
-gnot might function as a translation to -ology. -ory, -any (basically science stuff/academics); biology : sitagnot; history: protgnot
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.