[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does China have like no media presence? It affects movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Chinese Dany.jpg (488KB, 1050x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Dany.jpg
488KB, 1050x1500px
Why does China have like no media presence? It affects movies being made by America to be shittier and more pandering, but Chinese movies and TV never get exported anywhere, and their video game presence seems to be limited to ripoffs of American and Japanese games. The only significant Chinese work I can think of is Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which is like thousands of years old. Hell, I can think of more significant works by Poland.
>>
>>78386164
The worldwide Chinese population around the world (this includes the disapora everywhere around the world and not just China) is close to 2 billion. The Chinese entertainment market is big enough to support itself for now. "Wolf Warrior 2" that just came out 3 weeks ago has already made $700+ million

http://deadline.com/2017/08/wolf-warrior-2-annabelle-creation-dunkirk-spider-man-homecoming-weekend-results-international-box-office-1202147805/

No other country outside of the US can compete with those numbers ...
>>
Mainland Chinese pop culture in the early 20th century did influence post-Korean War pop songs.

I would say that the romance novel during the Republican era China before the Pacific War influenced South Korean cinema until the 60s.

You have to think of mainland Chinese pop culture influencing Korea and SE Asia.
>>
>>78386164
I can't imagine their government and society really fosters creativity.
>>
>>78386164
The Cultural Revolution decried traditional Chinese culture as an unequal and incompatible with the Maoist ideology, marred by capitalist invaders' inflence in the 19th century. Thus, they sought to uproot every trace of it, and ever since then, China's been struggling to gain a foothold in entertainment as they really have no culture to go off of. I'm not kidding when I say that old Chinese people are absolutely soulless. They were ruined by Mao.
>>
On the other hand, South Koreans did destroy their own traditions in the name of capitalism. Asia was screwed even without economic ideologies.
>>
>>78386373
Not Japan?
>>
>>78386502
Didn't mention Japan since it was too obvious.
>>
>>78386497
Why? What happened?
>>
>>78386549
Post-Korean War poverty created the image that the remaining traditional Korean culture must be thrown away.
>>
>>78386164
China has couple of good directors like Yimou Zhang, Johnnie To, Chen Kaige and rest of the fifth generation.

Then of course if you count Hong Kong cinema into Chinese culture you get countless of examples of cultural export but I don't think you are?
>>
I have to say that non-political mainland Chinese novels since the 90s are of great value. They were very experimental when it came to story-telling.
>>
There more Chinese internet users than Americans on the interwebs by a factor of 4x. If you added up all Westerners internet users, there would still be more Chinese on the interwebs by 2x.

Does the OP know how massive the Chinese population is?
>>
>>78386164
The text on your image is Japanese, not Chinese.

And I do believe that the Chinese produce quite a lot of movies, but they are generally not meant for export. Many of them are also way too slow for Americans.
>>
>>78386164
Even in HK cinemas, Mainland Chinese movies are not that hot. They got lower exposure, like they sell tickets only for a week, two sections of viewing available for each day, then it's good luck finding DVD; compare to Taiwanese movies, they usually can last over a week, 4 to 6 sections of viewing each day.
>>
>>78387262
>Does the OP know how massive the Chinese population is?
Doubt it.
>>
It's because Chinese stuff is about Chinese politics, which no one cares about outside of China.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.