[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to Sydney

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: rMrtbu5.png (56KB, 919x737px) Image search: [Google]
rMrtbu5.png
56KB, 919x737px
Hello Australian friends, I will be moving to Sydney soon to work as a Software Engineer.

I don't know anyone there. Any tips on how to make the best out of Sydney and manage to make some friends?

Thinking of moving to a flat share, to make networking easier. Probably moving near Bondi beach as well, since it's quite close to work.
>>
>>78374364
Pom
>>
>>78374364
Just kill yourself, the people here will love you for it and you'll make heaps of friends almost instantly.
>>
>>78374364
>Hello Australian friends, I will be moving to Sydney soon to work as a Software Engineer.
Are you a native Brit or the child of third world immigrants?
>>
>>78374746
I'm not native, moved there from Portugal when I was 18 to study at Oxford uni.

Have been working at Google for the past 2 years (been here for 6 in total), but now moving to Sydney since I always wanted live somewhere sunny
>>
>>78374364
Just make sure that you love the beach and the outdoors in general, and that you're also a normie. But I guess the last part goes for pretty much anywhere.
>>
>>78374839
how high-level do you need to be to work as a software engineer or developer at google?

I've always thought that google only hired high-fliers, people that you would call "whizzes" , like the kind of people you who were top 5 of their graduating class at engineering or compsci or maths at university.

But after the google memo was released I saw so many replies that were downright stupid and totally misunderstood the point , were incapable of engaging with empirical evidence, were irrationally aggrieved...

Like how could the kind of people who will have competed at highschool math olympiads where only like 5% of competitors are girls be so hysterically angry and delusional about the idea that boys are probably predisposed to finding some things more interesting than women?

does google have mediocre IQ people working for it too?
>>
>>78374364
Please kill yourself.
>>
>>78374643
>>78375023
Being a rude piece of shit isn't funny or banter
>>
>>78375075
He's some weird Arab cunt
>>
File: 1502821460777.jpg (136KB, 1200x825px) Image search: [Google]
1502821460777.jpg
136KB, 1200x825px
>>78374993
>does google have mediocre IQ people working for it too?
They're autistic savants.
>>
>>78374993
Perhaps it's possible that people you don't like are smarter than you
>>
>>78374364
>It's extremely expensive, one of the most expensive in the world iirc.
>Interent is very bad in Australia, its capped, slow and expensive
>Prepare to feel like a minority because Sydney is very, very Asian
>Nightlife isn't great because lock out laws
>Sydney does have a high living standard and is quite a decent place to live
>It's kinda boring like most of the country
>Bondi is a great beach, lots of tourist, especially British
>In winter Sydney can be quite wet
>Summer can extremely hot
>If you have a good wage you should survive high rent cost but eating out might be a problem
>>
>>78374993
I'm working more on the Artificial Intelligence side of things, and I do find that most people in the department are really smart.

However, outside of more software engineering related jobs, Google does hire pretty much anyone.

>>78375113

pic related, Customer/Site reliability engineers, Technical Infrastructure people, who are not really programmers, can be dumb as shit. They just need to memorise a bunch of stuff to spout at the interviews and they're through. Especially if you're LGBQT+ or a minority, due to Google's facade to appear liberal, you'll have many advantages over a typical straight white male.

Also if you work on Marketing, Customer facing stuff, etc. etc. you can be dumb as shit.

Also, it's worth being really good at maths/comp-sci doesn't translate into being smart at anything else. A lot people here, have never read any Philosophy, History, etc. books and know fuck all outside of anything related to programming... I have always been very keen on Economics/Finance and read a lot on it... I've tried having discussions with people outside my department about this sort of things and they all show very little in the way of rational thinking.

Finally, just because you see on Social Media, people from Google being majorly Leftist, doesn't mean that's representative of the opinion of most Google employees. A lot of people (at least here in the London offices) tend to be more Conservative (wouldn't say right-wing though). However, they feel like they'll be prosecuted if they say anything that goes against Google's liberal agenda, so they keep quiet and don't announce their opinions publicly.
>>
>>78375477
*worth notice
>>
>>78375435
>Prepare to feel like a minority because Sydney is very, very Asian

Even with this in consideration, do you think it's fair to say most people in Sydney will be quite welcoming/friendly? At least that's the stereoptype
>>
>>78375643
Most should be, plenty of rude like people who are pushy because narrow paths but service is friendly, overall people tend to keep to themselves as is the case in most places,
>>
>>78374364
One of the most beautiful cities in the world mate you'll love it welcome home
>>
>>78375671
>>78375730

What would you say is the best way to meet new people? Outdoors activities seem the way to go in Australia.
Definitely going to pick up Surfing and hope that helps, but would be cool to hear some recommendations?
>>
Been living here 2 months and have not a single friend. Starting a hobby next week though that is autistic enough that I think I will
>>
>>78375119
what part of being unable to engage with empirical evidence, being unable to read a straightforward memo without totally misinterpreting it and being delusional about the state of men and women is smart?
>>
>>78374364
Sydney is basically Australias London. It's big, overly expensive and filled with ethnics.
>>
>>78376000
Aside from that though, are you enjoying living in Sydney? Where did you come from originally?

Also, have you tried befriending people at work? Or is that, not very easy? (or you're not interested in being friends with them)
>>
>>78374364
learn chinese
>>
>>78375897
Ripping Billies.
Don't be too disappointed when you find out how hard surfing is but definitely give it a go! It's so fun.
>>
>>78376230
Jersey > NZ > Aus. I am enjoying it here, since its basically Auckland but everything is better. The guys are work are alright, but they're about as far from the type I am as is humanly possible. Baywatch bondi crossed with corporate go-getters. I'm pretty content though and looking forward to traveling around more of the country.
>>
>>78375075
This.
>>
>>78374930
If you work with computers then being a normie is a bad thing.

The IT industry is one place where normies are the ones that don't fit in.
>>
>>78375435
You have never been to sydney.
>>
>>78377034
IT is where le quirky normalfags work though
>>
>>78375113
>huge gay nerd
My first ban on twitter was for calling someone that.
>>
>>78377145
No, it isn't.

I studied IT for a small period of time...

Most awkward and nerdy environment I have ever been in.
>>
>>78377288
I will graduate in computer networks this year. I think i only had one faggot in the class, and he was like a pimp because he knew all girls from the building.
Of course, it's a particular uni, not a federal one, which attract aberrations.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.