[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Primitivity of English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: word head english v3.jpg (67KB, 351x415px) Image search: [Google]
word head english v3.jpg
67KB, 351x415px
How did you deal with the fact of English being utterly primitive and inflexible upon first discovering it as a child/grown-up?
>>
Makes for a good world language I guess
>>
>>78140716
>any language
>primitive or inflexible

Stop being silly.
>>
>>78140794
Are you implying all languages are the same? Faggot-monoglot right there.
>>
>>78140831
No, I'm implying that languages are different but that calling one more primitive than the other is arbitrary.

t. person who actually knows about linguistics
>>
>>78140716
>oт pyccии
kek
at least we don't have to learn your batshit insane declension
>>
I wish Spanish was the lingua franca instead.
>>
>>78140888
>t. person who actually knows about linguistics
But doesn't speak another language. And as to different languages being equally flexible, saying this is like saying that there is no difference in intelligence between whites and niggers.
>>
>>78140906
I speak Ukrainian, asshat.
>>
File: ukraine-'language'.png (62KB, 764x531px) Image search: [Google]
ukraine-'language'.png
62KB, 764x531px
>>78141093
russian, ukrainian, is same thing really
you just make your и look a bit more funny to try and say your people aren't russian(when they are)
pic related, most people don't even speak your constructed language in your own country
>>
>>78141423
I'm not him, but dat pic is not 100% correct. I can't say about all green area but in south part we speak Russian only in major cities. In countryside area they speak so-called "surgik". A frightful ukro-russian mix with more ukrainian words.
>>
>>78140716
I was glad, easier to learn.
>>
>>78141701
why did your country even try to make their own language? just seems really inconvenient
was it some weird attempt to make some sort of russo-polish crossover since the west part of your country was historically part of the commonwealth or something
>>
>>78141847
At least there is ukrainian language unlike canadian.

> russo-polish
It's just a meme. People who speak Russian and Polish don't understand Ukrainian. Most slavic languages sounds alike.
>>
>>78141982
why would we make our own language though when we can already become independent???
is clear ukrainian language was made as part of checklist to gain independence from russia since u guys totally aren't russian or anything
>>
>>78142091

> is clear
It is not for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainization
This happened during soviet times. Why would the pro-commi government wanted to save the culture witch was "made" when they could just destroy the rest of it to prevent separation?
>>
>>78142302
they didn't do that though did they
>The term is used, most prominently, for the Soviet indigenization policy of the 1920s (korenizatsiya, literally ‘putting down roots’), aimed at strengthening Soviet power in the territory of Soviet Ukraine and southern regions of the Russian SFSR. In various forms the Ukrainization policies were also carried in several different periods of the twentieth-century history of Ukraine, although with somewhat different goals and in different historical contexts.
lenin actively supported ukrainian identity to strengthen power in ukrainian SSR, if they wanted you to disappear, ukraine as a whole would have rightfully been annexed to the russian SSR instead
>>
>>78142712
You're such a loser. Women must be forever looking down on you and abstain from having sex with your repugnant body.
>>
>>78140888
I don't know about primitive but English is a lot less flexible than Finnish. Not that it doesn't have its own upsides, I love the seemingly endless pool of synonyms. You can sound (pseudo)intelligent just with a thesaurus. No such thing in Finnish, aside from very specific lingo mostly made up of loan words there are much fewer overlapping words. In English you can fine tune the tone of a sentence endlessly with synonyms, makes for good literature.
>>
File: typical russians.jpg (65KB, 480x326px) Image search: [Google]
typical russians.jpg
65KB, 480x326px
>>78142799
this is coming from a russian in denial
your women literally crawl on their hands fleeing to our countries to escape because your men are so ugly :)
>>
>>78141058
>But doesn't speak another language
Red herring. You don't need to speak a language to understand its structure.
>>
>>78142799
>anon posts reasonably, citing relevant historical context
>you sperg out like a fucking nigger, throwing meaningless insults in an attempt to silence
How very Russian.
>>
>>78143008
You kinda do to understand anything more than the absolute basics.
>>
>>78143073
indeed, is quite sad. ukraine is very much like a transsexual, they identify as something they are not and are in general very mentally unstable, even more so than actual russians themselves
>>
>>78143164
Don't stoop down to the level of a slav or you're not better yourself.
>>
>>78143073
> Detecting ethnicity by one's behavior based on stereotypes.
That's different story.
>>
>>78142712
Ok you're convinced me. There is no Ukrainian language. Don't forget to remind me to tell that to the westerns next time I'll speak with them (in ukrainian btw).

It doesn't matter how it was actually. History is always in the state of change. There was a time when there was no English.
>>
>>78143428
but your language is almost pinpoint similiar to russian with a few words changed; a russian would be able to understand a ukrainian perfectly. looking at it now it's more of a dialect if anything, not a language
>>
File: 1491932643295.jpg (30KB, 539x552px) Image search: [Google]
1491932643295.jpg
30KB, 539x552px
>>78140928
>>
Ukrainian/Belarussian exist since 16th century, when it was called Ruthenian, which was initially a language that was only written, which then expanded and became a spoken language.

Ruthenian was "created" (although it was just a standardized version of various spoken dialects of Old Russian that were spoken on the occupied by Lithuanian-Polish commonwealth Russian soil) using pre-existent dialects of Old Russian and throwing polish and latin words all over the place to make it easier for the occupiers to learn it, or some shit like that. The history of Ukrainian isn't clear, really, but it wasn't made up in the 20th or 19th century, it's much older.
>>
>>78143468
> a russian would be able to understand a ukrainian perfectly
No. I've seen enough of Russians misunderstanding even a simple sentences.

You can say the same about Belorussian and Russian, Czech and Slovak, Romanian and Italian and God knows how many other languages in different periods of history.
>>
>>78143468
A Swede and a Norwegian can carry on a conversation where one speaks Swedish and the other speaks Norwegian and understand each other. It's not like similiar languages are a new thing.
>>
>>78143468
>a russian would be able to understand a ukrainian perfectly

Russians BARELY understand spoken Ukrainian (50%), and can only understand it written (80% if the text is written in common Ukrainian without words that are too different from Russian).
>>
>>78143616
Romanian and Italian aren't mutually intelligible. Romanians understand, like, 50% of what Italians say, Italians -- barely 20%.

Also, for Russians Belarussian is just as fucked up as Ukrainian is.
>>
Did English never had a reform of its language to basically normalise its writing and pronounciation ? Because its so god damn inconsistent when it shouldnt be at all.
>>
>>78143616
well yeah, when one culture interacts with another in some way, they are bound to become more similar to each other over time. still don't think ukrainian is complex enough to distinguish as an entirely new language
>>78143635
never said they were. speaking of which, how did your language manage to stay so distinct when you were colonized by sweden for 100's of years?
>>78143644
50% is still a pretty good ratio compared to other slavic languages like serbian, which i'm quite sure would be considerably harder for a russian to understand
>>
>>78143936
> serbian, which i'm quite sure would be considerably harder for a russian to understand

I think Russian and speak Ukrainian fluently but understand only about 20% of Serbian speech.
>>
>>78140716
It has many hidden pronunciations, inconsistent and weird rules that made me wonder why anglococksucker normies here adores english so much back then. They even told me "it's for modernization and to be seen as sort of intellectual". It's a barbaric language beyond believes and for low classes mongrels to communicate to each other. World language should be a Fin.
>>
>>78143936
What a second. I just realized your problem. You think that if all Cyrillic is equally gibberish to you then it's equally understandable by people who use it.
>>
>>78143728
There's no oversight committee for English like France tries to impose on French, so no
>>
>>78143936
>like serbian, which i'm quite sure would be considerably harder for a russian to understand

Not really. They're about the same in that context. Russian easily gets at least half of the things a serb says. Seriously, a dude that doesn't speak any Slav languages at all, judges other slav languages?
>>
>>78142804
Feels like you're contradicting yourself here
>>
>>78143936
We weren't colonized, we were Sweden. There was nothing to colonize before the Swedish came and set up a society, just a bunch of hunter gatherer tribes and some very basic SARKAVILJELY. Finland wasn't an occupied state, simply the eastern lands of Sweden.

But to answer your question probably because the two mixed very little. Education was in Latin or Swedish. If you knew how to read or write you did it in Swedish, German or Latin. Finnish didn't even have a standardized written form until 1543 and universities didn't start teaching in Finnish until 1826 (and that was just one professor, not a complete switch) when we were already an autonomous nation under Russia.

So Finnish developed as a spoken language among the common folk while Swedish evolved on paper like a proper European language. Those who could write it most likely worked for the Swedish state or Swedish companies, so they kept in regular contact with the developments in the mainland.

In practice the two have mixed a lot, especially in the coastal regions, but that's just colloquial talk. Finnish as a written, standardized language is so new that by the time literacy began to spread to the masses we already had the needed infrastructures in place and a skilled workforce of civil servants who made sure it stayed "pure". Unlike English where there are a number of respected institutions such as the Oxford dictionary Finland had exactly one official KIELITOIMISTO (office of language) who didn't just make recommendations, they could rule between right and wrong. Recently they've started to slip and it's a shame but it's the reason our language survived in its unique form.

You were probably memeing but now you know.
>>
>>78144285
Flexible as in grammar. English has a very large vocabulary but the grammar is quite set in stone.
>>
>>78144244
>>78144268
Posting from phone now
>you're Canadian, surely you couldn't have studied Russian!
wrong
I have a fairly basic understanding of Russian and Cyrillic, and if you asked me to transliterate between the two I can easily do that along with understanding some basic phrases. I can't continue with my studies on Russian however since I have to learn French. This is because my country is Bi-lingual and it's needed for employment in certain jobs
>>
>>78144393
Nah, I wasn't. Just seemed bit weird how distinct Finnish stayed, even when under the influence of two major powers
>>
File: spepe.png (42KB, 606x539px) Image search: [Google]
spepe.png
42KB, 606x539px
>>78144439
To ти, пeвнo, гapнo poзyмiєш Укpaїнcькy?
>>
>>78140716
English is primitive af, but also pretty easy so it kinda matches to be international, although translating to English things like poems or quotes is pretty annoying and it's not always fully posibble even for professional translators. When I've started learning english I was mad about this, but with time I got used to it.
>>
>>78144519
For comparison:
To ты, нaвepнo, хopoшo пoнимaeшь Укpaинcкий?
>>
>>78144538
>гoвopит пo-yкpaинcкa
я нe гoвopит пидap язык
>>78144561
they seem pretty similar, but as you said it probably sounds a bit different in tongue
>>
>>78144538
Heплoхo, нo нe "гapнo", a "дoбpe". "Гapнo" cкopee в знaчeнии "кpacивo".

>>78144561
He "пoнимaeшь", a "пoнимaeш". Cмoтpи http://rgho.st/6zZNnVLXM
Хoтeл зaлить cюдa, нo фaйл cлишкoм бoльшoй.

И нaзвaния языкoв (дa и нaциoнaльнocтeй) пишyтcя c мaлeнькoй бyквы.
>>
>>78144758
Блядь. Этo coвeм нe тa гифкa.
>>
File: qeA9H1evECo.jpg (96KB, 694x434px) Image search: [Google]
qeA9H1evECo.jpg
96KB, 694x434px
>>78144779
И пoхoдy ты был пpaв. Я cьeбaл cпaть, кopoчe.
>>
>>78144519
Yeah well that's pretty much it. The nobility spoke other languages but as Finnish had no official use outside of churches (remember we are lutherans so masses were held in the language of the people) the contexts in which the languages were used were very distinct and separate.

I just wanna come back to the colonization thing real quick. It's easy to forget now but keep in mind the concept of Finland as one entity did not exist back then. Prior to 1809 (when the Grand Duchy of Finland was created by Alexander I) a border between Finland and Sweden had never been drawn. What is now called Finland were just Österland and parts of Norreland (eastern lands and northern lands). They were lands futher from the capital and thus of lesser importance but in the north where the border now stands there was nothing separating modern Finland and Sweden. It was all just former rural lands of savages that the Stockholm nobility had placed under their crown little by little. We had full representation in the parliament, it was just a long and expensive trip to make. If we were considered second rate citizens by anyone it was unofficial. We weren't a nation within a nation or a colony or anything like that.
>>
>>78144758
Я дaвнo c Киeвa cъeбaл, Укpaинcкoгo пoчти нe пoмню.

Aлco, "пoнимaeш" нe cyщecтвyeт, тoлькo "пoнимaeшь". Taк жe, кaк и нe cyщecтвyeт "кycaeш" "дyмaeш" и пpoчих cлoв-пapaзитoв cвoйcтвeнных cpeднecтaтиcтичecкoмy бpaткy хoхлy.

>>78144644
> я нe гoвopит пидap язык
Бля, хyдший Pyccкий из вceх чтo мнe кoгдa-либo дoвoдилocь нaблюдaть, ты кaк бyдтo дaжe нe cтapaлcя. A вooбщe, я пoчти yвepeн чтo ты кaкoй-нибyдь пoтoмoк Кaнaдcких хoхлoв, кoтopый пытaeтcя тpoллить бpaтyшeк хoхлoв из-зa гpaницы. Либo пoтoмoк Pyccких/Cepбoв, чтo в дaннoм cлyчae дaжe бoльшe cклoняeтcя к пpaвдe.
>>
>>78144758
Кcтaти, бyквa нe "мaлeнькaя", a CTPOЧHAЯ. Tы жe зaглaвнyю БOЛЬШOЙ нe нaзывaeшь?
Hy, этo ecли мы peшили пpидpaтьcя дpyг к дpyгy))))00
>>
>>78144929
What happened with the situation between Sweden losing Finland to russia? And do the Finns hate Russians because they tried to Russify Finnish culture?(looking part winter/continuation war).
>>
>>78145035
>Бля, хyдший Pyccкий из вceх чтo мнe кoгдa-либo дoвoдилocь нaблюдaть, ты кaк бyдтo дaжe нe cтapaлcя.
лoл нeт
тaм вce я знaю, я yчит aлфaбeт и нe бoльшe. Пoчeмy ты, cпaгeтти нeгp гoвopит Poccии пocтyпaeшь?
>>
>>78145087
Basically Sweden tried to spread further east all the way to St. Petersburg and got BTFO. Russians countetattacked and quickly overran the forces stationed in Finland. The Finnish troops weren't very motivated to fight either because they had been made lots of promises by Russians, and the officers had already been in contact with Russians prior and during the war because the knew the King's plan was retarded.

Seeing how quickly they advanced Stockholm panicked and signed a treaty giving them Österland and basically a vertical line towards the north from there which is still the Swedish-Finnish border.

Alexander I saw we already had infrastructure in place and a robust set of laws (including the brand new Swedish constitution which played a large role later) and since money was tight in the Russian empire already figured he'd just let us keep doing what we were doing. He even signed a declaration stating taxes collected in Finland were to be used inside Finland and stuck to his word (as did his predecessors for ~80 years).

Calling it a liberation would not be sugarcoating it. We had full autonomy and for the first time had to look at ourselves as not Swedes, yet not Russians either.

Only later around 1890 the Russian empire (I think it was Nikolai II) got frustrated by the fact that Finland's economy had grown faster throughout all that time than in any part of Russia and decided to put a stop to it. He wanted to make Finland a full part of Russia enacting laws to slowly absorb our postal service and parliament.

>>
>>78145536
>Пoчeмy ты, cпaгeтти нeгp гoвopит Poccии пocтyпaeшь?

Чивo блядь? Кyдa пocтyпaю? B MГУ? Tы инoгдa чё-тo нopм cкaжeшь, a инoгдa кaк cпиздaнёшь, Пyшкин в гpoбy пepeвepнётcя
>>
>>78145087
That spawned a lot of public unrest which all eventually led to the 1917 declaration of independence. Saying that paints an unrealistic picture as there was no clear plan or consensus at the time and most didn't believe in even dreaming about independence and didn't want to anger or provoke the Russians, they just wanted autonomy back. Then the november revolution happened and we saw a weak spot. Ask for independence from the new government thus aknowledging that governement as the legit one. We got our independence and the Bolsheviks got recognition as the government in charge, from a foreign power no less.

Most of Russia hate comes from WW2. The "Russianization" of Nikolai II spawned strong emotions at the time but was pretty quickly forgotten once we got our independence.
>>
>>78145680
successors*
>>
>>78140716
It's quite simple, but not in the way you think.

English is a complex language, you just can't speak it well enough :^)
>>
File: IMG_1663.jpg (547KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1663.jpg
547KB, 600x900px
>>78145683
ты cпycкaeш в бeзyмиa, cпaгeтти нeгp?
>>
>>78145704
I see. Is interesting stuff because my grandfather was an ethnic Finn, he left for Canada some time after the civil war. Don't entirely know why, but he was young at time so was probably his parents decision
>>
>>78140716
Considering those who grew up learning English probably only learned English, they wouldn't have any other perspective, so it wouldn't seem primitive and inflexible.

Plus grammatically, English is really easy. The biggest problems a non-English speaker would have is cases replaced with word order, spelling, and weird idioms and phrasing.
>>
File: 1475058744973.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475058744973.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
>>78140716
>>
>>78145902
Can't really make a guess without knowing which side he was on but probably just looking for the American dream™. The country was in shambles after the civil war and although we ended up recovering surprisingly if not miraculously quickly it was impossible to know that at the time. And of course no one was sure whether things were really finished with Russia.

Glad to hear about your heritage so you actually had some reason to care about my ramblings. Hopefully you learnt something you found interesting, I gotta go to bed now.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.