/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to spain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

File: madrid.jpg (189KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
madrid.jpg
189KB, 1280x800px
posted this on /trv/ but that place is slow so I'm also posting here:
I have almost $9000 dollars saved up in my bank account. I just graduated HS, and I worked way too many hours at shitty entry-level/manual labour jobs, but now I have a decent amount of money cause of it. I need to attend a semester of university for my parents, but I have a meaty scholarship and unlimited meal plan, so I plan on spending almost no money. Is it realistic to think I could move to spain in january? I am getting a useless degree so Idc about college, and I looked online and found rooms for rent at under 250 euros in alcala de henares. As for jobs, idk how it works there. I am pampered from living in texas, where I could literally just walk up to a construction site as soon as I looked over 13 and get 10$ per hour work. Is it similar there? I know spain had a harsh job market, but is it still easy to get jobs people don't want to do? Or, even better, is it semi-easy to get cushy jobs like restaurant work/not backbreaking shit? I don't plan on having a family, I just need money to eat and pay for rent, along with enough money to maybe hire a whore every now and again. I now flights to madrid are ridiculously expensive from texas, so if anyone has any tips as to how I can save money on that pls help. Also idk how visas work. The only foreign country ive been to is mexico and I have literally never been stopped going into the country, I have never even got my passport stamped there, I just bring my driver's license. So ya, thats all I got. Is what I want to do possible?
>inb4 why do you want to move, grass isnt greener, etc
I just wanna get out in the world, and I have nothing tethering me to the states. Europe/asia/africa look cool and they are more accessible there, plus I can always go back to the americas.
>>
lel good luck on finding a job
>>
>>78041151
>inb4 why do you want to move, grass isnt greener, etc

well grass is greener desu, if you don't live in NY there is no place in US that could deliver better that most of europe.

If it comes to employment
>>78041530
well Brits, Spanish and some other EU nations are lazy bastards, so even if you are lazy you should get something for you. But very important thing is, that you HAVE TO learn language if you want to get proper job.

I would pick europe everytime, especialy if you want to live your life without ambition. "Just liveing life" in US is very depresing and boring.
>>
>>78041151
Kill yourself normalfag.
下げる。
>>
too long sentences
Please make a summary
>>
>>78041151
Finding a job in Spain is quite hard, even more so if you're a foreigner. On top of that the pay is lower than in America. So, think twice before making the jump. If you've got those variables sorted out, then go ahead. Spain is an amazing country
>>
>construction site as soon as I looked over 13 and get 10$ per hour work. Is it similar there?

oh boy
>>
>>78041151
Do you speak Spanish? You won't get any job with just English.Unless you are planning to become a teacher.I wouldn't do it if I were you.
>>
It's going to suck, you're trying to move to a welfare state full of communists and no jobs. Good luck even getting residence!
>>
>>78041151
>where I could literally just walk up to a construction site as soon as I looked over 13 and get 10$ per hour work
Fucking kek, have you ever been to Europa?
>>
Let him go so he realize the mistake he is making, not like we can change his mind anyway.
wish you luck gringo.
>>
I will give you a kick rundown.
Alcalá de Henares is not close to Madrid it is a godd 45 minutes drive away from it.
The 250 euros flats are were Poles and Romanians live.Alcalá has a huge Eastern European community,mostly due the construction boom and the industrial areas (In the industrial sector business men preffer to hire EE to other inmigrants).
Alcalá is a industrialized region with a university.Jobs will mostly be focused around construction,that is growing again,industry and services for students.You might be able to get a decent wage teaching English on your own as there are lots of students over there and the population is youngish.There are lots of places to advertize yourself as tutor online and you could make solid money if you manage are good at it.
I would work on Spanish and if you try hard enough you might even be able to study in the university over there which has a very small tutition compared to American universities.
I will tell you this you are going to make a risky move moving there.This is not 2004 where any dumbass could make 2000 euros a month right of the bat.
Have you ever been to Alcalá btw? It is nothing like
>>
>>78041151
>where I could literally just walk up to a construction site as soon as I looked over 13 and get 10$ per hour work. Is it similar there?
Pre 2008 spain was like that, that's one of the reasons why we have such high youth unemployment now.
> is it semi-easy to get cushy jobs like restaurant work/not backbreaking shit?
Maybe in summer, even then you will need to learn spanish and Madrid isn't like Barcelona nor has a coast
>>
>>78041151
There are lots of Americans living in Madrid. Most of them live in the city, but bear in mind you'll have to spend at least 400€ per month for a room, plus food and social life you can spend a total of 700€. The majority of them work as English teachers but they do speak some spanish. By only speaking english nd not having some studies you're going to have a hard time having a job. Also being a waiter in here is the worst job you could have.
>>
File: chamartin_DCN.jpg (51KB, 595x433px) Image search: [Google]
chamartin_DCN.jpg
51KB, 595x433px
I remembered just now that Madrid has just greenlighted a huge building project in the North of the city so maybe there could be a job boom there soon.

It's in the pic, it should also include the tallest skycraper in the EU.
>>
>>78041151

go for a working holiday visa in straya,work to the first tax bracket and travel the country.

since you have little bit cash saved up the first weeks wont be so grueling.
>>
>>78041151
CHI
>>
>>78042453
Isn't Australia extremelly expensive?
>>
>>78042564

yes,but you can get 2.5-3 k eur per month easily by working oddjobs at construction sites,some farms and mines also pay well.
>>
OP should also remember the US taxes its citizens working abroad
>>
>>78042632

almost all eu cunts have tax treaty with us,you pay the tax where you reside at the moment or do your job.
>>
>>78041151

Real advice incoming from a former expat

You have to get a real visa in order to work in any formal jobs outside of the menial ones. Your tourist visa only permits you 3 months in all of shengen zone and you are unable to work while visiting EU.

That being said, you can work formally if you apply and receive a student visa. This is actually incredibly easy and is exploitable as you only have to sign up for a language course at a college in your country of choice. I did this and was able to work as an english teacher for a private school in a western EU country and make very good amounts of money.

If you intend on flying in without a visa you are only permitted to stay for 3 months as mentioned earlier. If you overstay your visa you will probably get fined at best and deported at worst so definitely try to get one unless if you aren't going to stay for any length of time
>>
>>78042673
Is the student visa trick only in Spain or elsewhere in the EU? What country were you living in?
>>
>>78042726

Everywhere i'd imagine but I did mine in France. Speaking the language of course helps considering countries like Spain / Italy / France dont have a lot of English speakers (with exception to younger generation)
>>
>>78042659
I'd still check though, the IRS seems dangerous.
The USA, and Eritrea I think, are the only two countries that tax their citizens working abroad.
>>
>13
>$10 per hour

Will never happen in Europe.
You will be send back to school.
>>
>>78042632
>>78042659
>>78042753

You are all somewhat correct but you only have to file for your taxes in most cases. You are only taxed on income earned abroad if you earned over 120,000$ / yr, when I lived abroad I was not taxed on the income I received there

Its still obviously a pain in the ass, though.
>>
>>78042771
You will have to pay European taxes and your employer will pay taxes also towards social security. Working in Europe without living here is literally throwing away half of your wealth.
>>
>>78042812

Well yeah, of course. I was referring to American IRS taxation on income earned abroad. I'd imagine this barbaric practice would be lost on a citizen of a civilized country like the netherlands, though. Even still unless if you are a loaded businessman you wont have to pay the American tax alongside the european tax - it is bulshit that we have to file the IRS paperwork even if we dont owe them money though
>>
>>78042847
Well you do own them money, because you will stay an American citizen for the rest of your life. And trump has to finance his wall and his nukes.

Also, just move here, give up your citizenship and you will be able to work, go to school, go on vacation, live, buy houses everywhere in Europe for the rest of your life. Do you want to move from Spain to Germany, no problem. Want to go to school in Belgium, live in France, work in Luxembourg, go on vacation in Italy, live your old days in Denmark. No problem.

Way better than fucking up your life in one single country.
>>
>>78042929

Umm... where did I imply that I wasn't doing any of that ? I'm a former expat who is going back to EU to pursue my masters degree and potentially obtain residency / citizenship. I already have a two year visa. You sound incredibly hostile and I will remind you that your beef is with my government and not with me as a person. Americans arent inherently bad people and your implication that I or any of my compatriots would "fuck our lives up in a single country" is absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>78043008
You really need to re-evaluate your desicion of you defend America mate.
Europeans aren't really that kind to Americans. Just act like you're from Ireland.
>>
>>78041151
You should also try and look in all the Facebook groups of Americans living in Spain, they'll probably have some tips for you
>>
File: muhirishheritage.jpg (22KB, 607x162px) Image search: [Google]
muhirishheritage.jpg
22KB, 607x162px
>>78043043
>Just act like you're from Ireland.
>>
>>78042929
>Also, just move here, give up your citizenship and you will be able to work, go to school, go on vacation, live, buy houses everywhere in Europe for the rest of your life. Do you want to move from Spain to Germany, no problem. Want to go to school in Belgium, live in France, work in Luxembourg, go on vacation in Italy, live your old days in Denmark. No problem.
Eu sounds great. ;_;
>>
>>78043083
That's why we pay millions of euros per week to be part of it.
>>
>>78043043

If defending my country means standing up for myself when I'm being singled out and bullied by an internet troll I'll do it everytime, kanker.

Europeans are beyond friendly to americans and I always enjoy my time on the continent, you should really get off /pol/ and leave your house to see the outside world sometime. Believe it or not not all people are judgemental assholes who base other peoples worth off of the country they were arbitrarily born into.
>>
>>78043102
1.Never defend another country within a European country.

2. Americans are seen as fat, ignorant and dumb in Europe. It's not a meme. Trump's election made it even worse and Hillary's election would not have solved it.

3. The country you are from matters in Europe, a lot. More than skin coulor.
>>
>>78043170

*yawn* your stereotype meme posting couldn't interest me any less. Have a good night. Hopefully you open your mind a little bit and maybe you might find an American who will shatter your expectations one day.
>>
>>78043210
I'm telling you what you need to do if you want to be accepted in a European country. They are not memes.

If you want proof try to rent a student appartement in any European country. It's not rare to find the text "No Americans".
>>
>>78043250

>If you want proof try to rent a student appartement in any European country. It's not rare to find the text "No Americans".

I've literally already lived in EU you mongrel. I know how it is and that shit only exists in your /pol/tard brain. Anti american discrimination does not exist because you would not be able to tell me apart from any other European. "No American" signs do not exist and I have never had any trouble renting apartments before.

Go back to your containment board. You are making an ass of yourself.
>>
>>78043250
Why are you so assblasted m8?
>>
>>78043330
You are being delusional, you have never left the tourist zones of cities. Americans are not viewed positive. And I just give you the advice to act like you are from another English speaking country (Except UK for obvious reasons).

And we can't tell you apart so don't say you are American and don't defend American culture.

I don't know why you are trying to act like you know Europe better than a European. You are the one who is naïve.
>>
Speaking english at a native level is enough to grant you a job in Spain, there are lot of Americans working in tourism in some places.
Its better to be poor in Spain than in the USA for sure, your life could be ruined if you needed healthcare that your insurance cant fully cover or walked in a bad neighborhood in the USA despite higher wages
>>
>>78042210
A 45 min drive would be from Guadalajara. Alcalá is pretty close to Madrid desu and lots of foreigners like living there for historical reasons.
>>
>>78041151
Stear clear of Western Europe, m8. With $9000, that won't last long. Head over to Eastern Europe like I did. You'll have more fun, get connections and it is a fraction of the cost.
>>
>>78043493
>speaking english at a native level is enough

LOL the worst advise you could ever give to a burger, they will belive it.

Ofc you will find english speaker in any place who speaks it better or worse, but not knowing language in a plece where you live is very painfull. And we talk about choseing place for liveing, not for a month or two.
>>
>>78043919
When I was in Poland, English was weak, so I had to speak German and broken English to survive. Yes you are right. It is the worst advice to give Americans, because we just do not focus on learning languages. I speak 3 because I worked very hard to market myself.
>>
>>78043421
Alcalá is 39 minutes away from Madrid(withput traffic jams) unless you pay to go through the autopist that costs 11 euros.
>>
>>78042421
>things that will never happen
>>
tfw no iberian gf
>>
>>78041151
>>inb4 why do you want to move, grass isnt greener, etc

>Madrid
>green
>>
>>78041151
>decent amount of Money
>9000$
>>
>>78044360
>Madrid
>>green
It is the European city with most trees and it is full of gardens and parks in the middle of the city
>>
>>78044443
Anon, is the average Spaniard a Moorish-looking mongrel, or a slightly tanned huwhyte person with beautiful Mediterranean features?
>>
>>78042929
Renouncing American citizenship costs like 4000 dollars though.
There goes half of OP's budget.
>>
>>78044466
We are all moors or niggers, don't expect anything more.
>>
>>78044466
is the average spaniard from galicia or andalusia
>>
File: 705.jpg (359KB, 974x370px) Image search: [Google]
705.jpg
359KB, 974x370px
>>78044466
>Spaniard a Moorish-looking mongrel,
Just watch any Spanish series and you will see how the average Spaniard looks like. Pic related is the cast of an old TV series. You are the one to judge if they are moorish looking mongrels or not
>>
who needs an American teaching English when you can learn from Tio JOSETXO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkO4uzacZw
>>
>>78044664
Oh, they basically just look like Italians. lol
>>
>>78044760
>they basically just look like Italians. lol
What did you expected?
>>
>>78046967
>What did you expected?
they even talk English like Italians
>>
>>78046967
I expected your average ethnic Iberian to look relatively Italian, but I was not sure if your average Spaniard was purely ethnically Iberian, or a Moorish mongrel.
>>
>>78041691
>well Brits, Spanish and some other EU nations are lazy bastards
fuck off fuck off fuck off
>>
>>78044297
A estas alturas va a pasar si o si, es podemos la que ha desbloqueado el proyecto, los unicos que se oponen son los anticapitalistas de podemos, y son minoria.
>>
>>78041691
>well Brits, Spanish and some other EU nations are lazy bastards
we dont go there to work you dumb POLE
>>
>>78044664
That was a good show, much better than "La que se avecina"
>>
>>78047183
I sometimes have a hard time telling a Spaniard from an Italian apart, just from the looks.

t. Spaniard
>>
>>78047650
Yup.It was smarter than La que se avecina.La que se avecina is just the same ridiculous jokes for an entire hour
>>
>>78044297
che papu ya han dado luz verde al proyecto
>>
>>78042210
No, Alcala has a big universitary comunity 250-300 Euros is the average for a room unless you go el Chorrillo wich is cheaper and where all the Poles Gypsies and Romanians live
For the english techer thing is better to know the local language first and don't think he could if he had no idea of Spanish, if he know a little could work
he can work also in pubs or restaurants, there's lots in Alcala and part time in shops and things like that, also warehouses, construction by hours don't think so. I live at 8km
>>
>>78041151
Madrid and Barcelona are the most expensive places in Spain
Anywhere else life is very cheap for european standards. Food is extremelly affordable
also TLDR
>>
>>78044743
based
did you find that in /int/?
>>
>>78041151 (OP)
cont >>78048831 (You)
Also comming from US I'll take care of what I choose, my cousin studied there till 2nd of journalism and can't finish in Spain, had to change to English philology
>>
File: 1475100103242.jpg (36KB, 482x427px) Image search: [Google]
1475100103242.jpg
36KB, 482x427px
>>78042929
>Way better than fucking up your life in one single country.
>>
File: 13545464685.jpg (9KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
13545464685.jpg
9KB, 250x242px
>>78042929
>Way better than fucking up your life in one single country.
s-shut up!
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.