[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When Russians choose to use the paternal name instead of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: x66emypo.jpg (95KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
x66emypo.jpg
95KB, 604x453px
When Russians choose to use the paternal name instead of the "regular" surname (Such as calling Putin Vladimir Vladimirovitš.) what's the intention?

Is it to show affection? Belittle? I understand it may vary by context but I'm talking about two adult males, politicians, business partners etc. doing it.

Or is it just business as usual for Russians and they only use our style of surnames while talking to foreigners?
>>
>>77902959
Fuck you CIA.
>>
>>77902959
Familiarity. Affection would be calling him Volodya.
>>
>>77903176
I see Putin doing it a lot when he's talking about people he's disappointed in. To me it reads like he's talking down to them like a child when he does it but is that just my imagination?
>>
They use name + parental name to show respect. Usually you call that way your teacher, boss or an older person to show that you respect them.
>>
It varies by context a lot, it is basically impossible to explain to a foreigner.
>>
>>77903945
The way it naturally reads to me (and I'm mostly talking about politicians using it here) is that if the context is praise it's to show familiarity or a "bond" yet when scolding someone it's to belittle them. Am I completely wrong? I'm just trying to not misunderstand the tone of these speeches too badly.
>>
>>77904021
In a professional environment it is mostly used as a respectful, neutral form of address. When it is not used in a mocking, belittling sense. I am not kidding when I tell you that it would be impossible to explain to a foreigner, it all heavily depends on context. You just learn to understand all the social, situational, tonal and other cues when you are born and raised here.
>>
>>77904255
I get what you mean, but the concept is not that foreign for me. Both Scandis and Russians (and us) used paternal names for a long time so to me it just sounds like old speak. Even after we got proper surnames people would still occasinally choose to use "son of X" because the tone is totally different.
>>
>>77904432
Why are you watching Putin's speeches anyway?
>>
>>77904483
I read a book about him so they're in text form which makes it even more difficult to deduce the tone for a foreigner. Good book btw, at least I think so with my very limited knowledge. The one by Mihail Zygar.
>>
>>77904573
You westerners have a real obsession with the man.
>>
>>77904897
Well, Putin makes some of us want a Panslavic Empire.
>>
>>77904897
Half of our nation's border is with Russia. I think it's only reasonable to try and get an idea how the country is run and to do it through sources that haven't been tampered by Americans.
>>
>>77902959
Probably has a lot to do with the fact that russians were serfs way into the 19th century and didn't have surnames, so it's a good way to distinguish among people with the same names. Nowadays it's probably just a relic of the past, although having your father's name included when addressed formally is kinda neat imo.
>>
>>77902959
i dunno but the japanese do the same
>>
>>77904255
Bullshit, there is nothing to explain. Petronim is used in official conversation, short name is used when two buddies are talking
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.