/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question to Brit, Japan, France, Spain, Portugal, Dutch, and Belgium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

File: 1480333136477.jpg (59KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
1480333136477.jpg
59KB, 640x560px
What do your schools teach about imperialism and colonialism? Do your schools teach about what your country has done in the past?
>>
>>77748177
Sure, but the core was the internal affairs in those times.
>>
>>77748177
They probably glorify it and gloss over the mistreatment of those they conquered.
>>
every white british man is literally mega-hitler
>>
File: 03YYyse.jpg (31KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
03YYyse.jpg
31KB, 500x522px
>>77748177
we were never taught about what really happened in Congo, no one cares really
>>
We talk very little about our colonies. It's like a taboo. Other one was Portugal. No explanation about their formation and independence.
>>
>>77748177
À strange mixture of shame and pride about it
>>
>>77748372
bingo. that and muh brave portuguese against spain.
>>
>>77748177
Conquistadors did nothing wrong and brought culture and civilization to backwards savages
>>
I remember that on the whole part of the class that taught "Japan did terrible things back then", the atmosphere of the room was so dark and awkward,
Probably I think my teacher was a leftist.
>>
>>77748177
Yes.I remember our teaches non-chalantly talking about how we enslaved black people and we were just:"meh".
>>
>>77748429
What the hell.Why though?Aren't you guys curious?Like why the fuck is there a fucking 90.000km2 rectangle next to you?
>>
>>77749123
They teach japanese history in canada?
>>
>>77748177
They teach about the British empire but don't really go into ethics or anything. It was all from a British perspective rather than talking about slavery and such like.
>>
>>77749162
>What the hell.Why though?Aren't you guys curious?Like why the fuck is there a fucking 90.000km2 rectangle next to you?
we don't think about you, being honest
>>
>>77749483
But that's fucking stupid,is there even a negative in your history that you even portray in your history books?
>>
>>77748177
We only learn the history from the 19th century onwards (the independence of the colonies not included, except about Cuba and the Filipinas), basically the shittiest part of the spanish history
Appart from that they also teach about the inquisition the expulsion of moors and jews and not much more.
>>
>>77748177

very little and nothing good
>>
>>77749591
Dude, average people probably doesn't even know about the kingdom of Leon, less they will know about Portugal.
>>
>>77749483
This, I barely knew anything about Portugal at all until recently.
We simply don't care.
>>
>>77748177
Only that it was very bad. In Dutch schools they will never say Dutch colonialism, but western colonialism. However, they do say that we were responsible for slavery and that killing the population of Ambon wasn't a good thing. You're still our best colony though and probably the most peaceful as well.
>>
>>77748177
How is the Dutch period teached in your country?
>>
We aren't really taught about how things were in the Americas.

Text books focus much more on the things that were happening in the Spanish kingdoms. Of course we learn about Cortés, Pizarro and such, but for instance, the "Guerra de las Comunidades" in Castile (1521) or the literature of the 17th century (Quijote, etc) are given much more importance.
>>
>>77749162
Yes, I know it's stupid but that's how history class works in Spain.
>>
>>77754575
Why would it be stupid? Portugal is a footnote in spanish history. The roman invasion, the barbarian invasion, the reconquista lasted 800 years and then we have the italian wars, the discoveries, the 80 years wars, the 30 years war, the sucession war, the seven years war and then the napoleonic wars. After that tons of civil wars until 1939. We literally have no time to learn about them.
>>
>>77749162
you don't learn that much about Spain's history either if you think about it
>>
very little actually they mostly focus on muh WW2 for some reason
>>
>>77754721
Yes... It's like we didn't have a couple of wars with Portugal and like we didn't have a common king from 1580 to 1640. Nothing relevant.
>>
>>77754790
>for some reason

Because you won? For a reason no english know about the English Armada.
>>
Very balanced over all. They emphasise that colonialism wasn't peaceful and there was slavery, murder and oppression however the time period is still referred to as the "Golden Century" and there is quite a lot of subtle bragging ("We were very powerful", "the VOC was massive and innovative", etc.)

I'd say the only people who'd complain about it are loonies on the right and left, for the exact opposite reason of course.
>>
to further my point (>>77754740):

>>77754721
>the roman invasion, the barbarian invasion
common stuff
>the reconquista lasted 800 years
common, but lasted less here
>the discoveries
only learn that murrica goes to spen, africa and asia goes to us
we cucked a bit of murrica from spen which led to huezil
>the italian wars
wats dis
> the 80 years wars
wats dis
> the 30 years war
wats dis
> the sucession war
wats dis
> the seven years war
wats dis
> the napoleonic wars
only learn that cuck spen lets france invade us by land, greatest ally comes to save us
>tons of civil wars until 1939
the 1936-39 civil war is the only piece of spain's history we study that doesn't involve us directly
>>
First time I was taught about the British Empire was the year I turned 17; only learnt about the negative side of the Empire the year after
>>
File: 1485930065151.png (265KB, 1471x1049px) Image search: [Google]
1485930065151.png
265KB, 1471x1049px
>>77748850
This. Thank you for giving us this huge-ass country, Portugal-sama!
I'm glad Spain didn't take us instead, else we'd be just a bunch of separated irrelevant countries infighting forever.
>>
>>77754873
>a couple of wars with Portugal

Totally irrelevant compared to the ones we had with the ottomans, the french, the english or the dutch.

> a common king from 1580 to 1640

The only relevant event was the 30 years war that allowed them to gain their independence but again, we don't have time to learn about that. Maybe in Catalonia they focus on that event because at the same time they tried to do the same.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublevaci%C3%B3n_de_Catalu%C3%B1a_(1640)
>>
File: 1496984354632.png (188KB, 729x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1496984354632.png
188KB, 729x1022px
>>77751178
The only time our Northeastern part of the country had a chance of not being shitty was under Maurício de Nassau's colonization. Dude just wanted to build a great nation.

While he was Dutch, the dudes who replaced him for not giving profits enough were also Dutch, so it evens it out.
>>
>>77755265
Do you study all the thousands of sub-countries in Spain trying to separate themselves? What if you're from one of them, do they teach Spanish history with a hint of "we are a separate culture"?

In my layman view, Portugal is nothing but a pioneer in getting independence from the endless infighting that is Spain.
>>
>>77748177
Most of all history teachers in Japanese high school demonise the imperial Japan and even theorise killing and abolishing of our imperial family through a people's revolution, as our school system and academic professions have been entirely dominated by socially disabled communists and anarchists since the post-war economic boost era, when only true incompetent dumbasses chose to become teachers or shitty public servants in general instead of well-paid and easily-hired businessmen for Japanese mega companies.
>>
>>77755876
No.
>>
>>77755876
>Portugal is nothing but a pioneer in getting independence from the endless infighting that is Spain.
lol tinha de vir a atrasadice mental de um neguinho
>>
>>77755876
Every autonomous community of Spain focus on his history and in a general view on the spanish history. So a person from Catalonia will not study the same as someone from Madrid. And yes , at least here in Catalonia they usually try to make it seem like it has been a much better and modern place than the rest of the peninsula through the history.
>>
>>77756335
See? >>77756372
There's a bit of that here in Brazil in the South, but nothing major. Northeasters are also taught to be proud of their culture and history of starving and revolting, but they're not separatists because they depend on the civilized part of the country (for now).
>>
>>77756372
I studied in an all-basque school so most teachers didnt speak of the empire very fondly.
The only thing i missed was more info on precolumbine cultures t b h

Overall there is more focus on the different spanish governments workings, european wars and various chimpouts

It was a nice middle land between anglo lies and spanish WE WUZ
>>
spanish education kinda skips Filipinas and 20th century Morooco, but doesnt glorify spanish conquistadores either
showcasing spanish victories is somehow taboo
>>
>>77756892 >>77748177

meant for OP
>>
>>77756600
We got our independence in the middle ages from Castilla and Leon, not from the state known today as Spain. Most battles for sovereignty over this land were fought in the medieval period, before Spain existed.

What is this bullshit of "nothing but a pioneer in getting independence from the endless infighting that is Spain"??
>>
Learnt next to nothing about the empire in history, only learnt about british history(medieval etc) and WW2

Didn't even know we had an empire until about 20 years old
>>
>>77748177
Do they teach you about the things that happened in East Timor? Legit question.
>>
>>77757224
You are interpreting it backwards. I'm not saying you got away from Spain, I'm implying the entirety of Spain is a patchwork of provinces (like Portugal), being your country the only one with balls to actually remain out of the blanket-kingdom Spain would become.
>>
>>77748177
While we talk about the strength of France in its conquests, we also talk a lot about the mistreatments and such of the colonised.
But i dont remember going really deep on the subject
>>
>>77757281
They do but they teach you that Indonesia did nothing wrong or were freeing them from colonial rule
>>
>>77758637
Sorry, that "nothing but" kinda offended me, but I might have misinterpreted it.

We would probably have joined Spain in 1400-something if we didn't have our own sea thing already going. We forcefully joined them in 1580 due to a succession crisis but we decided that we had to restore our independence a few decades later because Spain's enemies had started attacking too many of our own colonies and the spaniards did nothing about it.
I wouldn't say it had most to do with Spain's infighting. They were fighting too many wars with other states that had nothing to do with us, so we seized the opportunity to secede.

Nowadays, we feel like we have a national identity too distinct to join them ever again. They're our cousins from the other side of the border and let's keep it like that.
>>
We learned how our first colony aka Anglo are so butthurted by the fact we civilised them.
>Honi soit qui mal y pense
>Dieu et mon droit
>>
We never talked once about the bad things we did in Congo.

I know that the French are very proud and very ashamed about it at the same time.
>>
>>77759451
But damn, you guys surely got influenced by their rapid-fire-speaking.

Even though I hear a lot of crying from Catalúnia, Andaluzia and B*sques in general, Galícia is the one I would like to see taking the first step. Would Portugal be a good big bro and help them get by in the beginning?
>>
>>77760296
>Galícia is the one I would like to see taking the first step
forget about that, they're too "españolized", but they're bros nevertheless

I only expect serious secession movements from Catalonia and Euskadi. Not that I care. That's Spain's problem, not ours.
>>
We learned about the Vikings, the Romans, the Tudors and the World Wars and that's pretty much it. Plenty of other stuff to teach us so they don't have to mention the empire
>>
File: Screenshot_20170730-214502.jpg (441KB, 967x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170730-214502.jpg
441KB, 967x1132px
>>77759451
The main factor of the secession war in Portugal and Catalonia was the "Union de armas" thing, basically Castilla provided all the money and manpower to the wars, and the valido of the king wanted to change that, making every kingdom contribute in the war effort. All that said, all would have been better without the habsburgs in the throne
>>
>>77758637
>I'm implying the entirety of Spain is a patchwork of provinces

so just like your average big country? just like Italy, England, France or Germany?
>>
>>77759451
>and the spaniards did nothing about it.

spaniards sent 5 tercios to vitoria de baia
>>
File: englel.jpg (128KB, 701x598px) Image search: [Google]
englel.jpg
128KB, 701x598px
>>77757272
>Didn't even know we had an empire until about 20 years old
>>
>>77763282
Well, thanks. But if it didn't stop the threats, there really wasn't much of a point in keeping the union, even if it started well under Felipe II.
To each, their own way.
>>
>>77764056
>But if it didn't stop the threats

no shit, Spain was figthing what basically was a world war in every known continent of the planet but you did the wise thing to do, and uk did the same, stay away from Europe
>>
Learnt nothing about it at school desu
>>
>>77763930
You know they're wearing skirts because that particular school wouldn't allow the boys to wear shorts even though it was 30C yet the girls were allowed to wear skirts.
>>
>>77748177
Pro-Russian shill teachers gloat over Svyatoslav ! destroying "Judaic" Khazar Empire.
>>
It was part of our golden age. The best era for our country.

Blacks enslaved themselves and we sold them.
Indonesians *snip sorry we won't cover this* and then they became independent.

We don't really morally judge our past.
>>
File: 1498069323124.gif (427KB, 978x478px) Image search: [Google]
1498069323124.gif
427KB, 978x478px
>>77748177
t. portugal

We go pretty in-depth in this, even the entire trans atlantic slave trade and african wars but a lot is left out (not really the "bad" stuff tho). I learned a lot about portuguese history coming to /int/, /his/ and /pol/
We also slighty learn about other european powers
>>
>>77748177
The only thing we learn about is the slave trade and I'm pretty sure we still spend more time on America and the American Civil War in that regard.
>>
>>77754790
>>77755061
Does no one in the class ever pint out that countries like USA, Canada, New Zealand, and Australua exist?
>>
File: 1438476202631.png (98KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1438476202631.png
98KB, 600x500px
>>77757272
>>77755061
>>77749682
what the fug
>>
>>77766463
What are you doing in sweden in 2011?

>We also slighty learn about other european powers
Unless it's directly related to us, we barely learn international history until late 18th century, save for renaissance Italy. We learn about some relevant ancient wewuz civilizations too, such as the egypshunz, greeks and romanz.
>>
>>77754721
You guys don't learn about the iberian union?
>>
>>77768126
Not really, It's like we skip all the period from the catholic kings to the succesion war and then the 19th century, only talking a little about how incompetent the kings were and the great artists of that time.
>>
>>77768126
i literally learnt about it on /int/ or in wikipedia.
we dont learn about the visigoths much, its like we skip from the romans to the moors to conquering america to the 20th century
>>
>>77766615
not really they're just sort of other countries that exist. had no idea of the link and history between us. used to think oh wow Australia has a union jack like us too that's really cool
>>
>>77766482
same, spent more learning about civil right and the freedom riders and all that shit than anything about the british empire lmao
>>
File: 1494914462763.png (77KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1494914462763.png
77KB, 429x410px
>>77768578
That's grim
>>
>>77768700
it is
i wonder who's behind it hmmmmm
>>
The negatives are massively played up and the positives are negated to the point of being rarely mentioned, if at all.

In school I learnt all about the slave trade coming through Bristol. It wasn't until uni that I learnt all about the good that the Empire gave to the world
>>
>>77768691
What the hell is going on with British education?
>>
>>77748372
In England we learn fuck all about our history with Ireland which I think is embarrassing desu. Instead some schools teach about the Vietnam War ffs
>>
>>77768742
When I was at school maybe 15 years ago it basically wasn't taught at all. My basic education up to 16 went: Celts, Romans, Tudors, Victorians, WW1 and then WW2 (specifically muh Battle of Britain and The Home front).
>>
>>77748177
Belgium here, we had to write va paper about the history of Congo free state for history class in the final year of high school
>>
Hardly learnt about it at all, did stuff on the Celts, Tudors, Stuarts and a bit on the beginning of the industrial revolution, then skipped to WW1.

I had some really old women as history teachers in school and whenever they talked about the Empire all I remember them talking about was how fucking great it was.
>>
>>77768813
Why?
>>
>>77770088
Should have made you type or write it without your hands.
>>
>>77748177

We dindu into XIX-style Imperialism.

We went into America like Rome went into Yurop. Conquest, mestizage, cultural and political assimilation.
>>
>>77748177
In portugal it goes like this:

In 5/6th grade we study prehistory,hunter gatherers,egyptians,greeks,romans(and a little about the lusitanians)
In 7th we study the fall of rome,the visigoths,suebi),in 8th grade we skip the invasion of the moors and go straight to the reconquista and the formation of the portuguese county and the discoveries.In 9th grade we study the iberian union,restoration war,the portuguese golden age(literally tonnes of gold from brazil),we study the 7 years war and pretty much all wars where portugal is involved.The lisbon earthquake,napoleonic war,peninsular war,portuguese civil war,1st world war and 2nd world war and then the colonial war
>>
White man brings civilization etc. We never really condone it, and we have an idea we did better than the rest, as in, we weren't as brutal. But we were.
>>
>>77748177
shut up nigger
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.