[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Diacritics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: accent.jpg (40KB, 900x655px) Image search: [Google]
accent.jpg
40KB, 900x655px
What are the useful/useless diacritics in your language, /int/?

I start with french:

à = grammarly useful

é è ç ï = useful for pronunciation

ö ü ë ô û ê î = useless
>>
>>77555840
>ë ... useless
I agree!

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1500970435989.webm
>>
None, they're all useful.
>>
File: MxM9qj9.jpg (11KB, 261x208px) Image search: [Google]
MxM9qj9.jpg
11KB, 261x208px
>>77555840
>>77555927
>aiguë and aigue are pronounced the same way
>>
File: 1430641527698.jpg (24KB, 373x560px) Image search: [Google]
1430641527698.jpg
24KB, 373x560px
>>77556071
>brin and brun have the same pronounciation
>>
ä, ö and ü ... I don't know, on one hand they're important because the actually form different sounds and give words different meanings (schön = beautiful, schon = already), on the other hand you can just write them as ae-, oe- and ue- with regular letters.

ß is just completely useless, it's just a sharp s and has been replaced by ss in many words already, you can also write it as sz- if you have to.

We have a few words with apostrophes, but they're all French loan words like coupé.
>>
>>77556100
>ä, ö and ü ...
>form different sounds and give words different meanings
>on the other hand you can just write them as ae-, oe- and ue-

I don't get it, you can write them in two different spelling in German?
>>
Diacritics are used to specify the tonic vowel in Spanish words according to very simple rules
>>
>>77556199
The two letter spelling is uncommon but permissible if the actual letters aren't available in your typing software.
>>
>>77556213
?Do you have useless diacritics in Spanish?

>>77556224
I see. The only fact that they are a "possible" way to write the German sounds astonish me desu, It's an interesting thing.
>>
French and English need drastic spelling reforms. I mean striped down to phonetics. Unless you have that magic ability to spell French words.
>>
In Frisian we have û, which is comparable to the "oo" sound in English (as in loot)

Does any other language use û?
>>
>>77556378
I agree. Mostly French though.
>>
á â ã é ê í ó ô õ ú = useful

ç = easily replaceable

à = unnecessary shit
>>
>>77555840
ä - 'a'(bad)(vowel harmony)
ö - /o/(finnish - yö)(vowel harmony)
ü - /y/(finnish - yksi)(vowel harmony)
ı - /ɯ/(vowel harmony)
ş - 'sh'(sharp)(dunno)
ç - 'ch'(chair)(dunno)
ğ - /ɤ/(vowel harmony)
ñ - 'ng'(speaking, taking)(dunno)
>>
>>77556323
¿Useless in what sense? They always serve a purpose. I don't know of other languages where you absolutelly know what the strong syllable is in every word from just looking at it.
For example: esdrújula = all words where the strong syllable is the 3rd starting from the right have diacritic, so you know its esDRÚjula

other kind of diacritic is pingüino: in this case, its to differentiate that the U is pronounced in this word (in Spanish, GUI / GUE, QUI / QUE, skip the U)
>>
File: 1487611881367.png (139KB, 1027x731px) Image search: [Google]
1487611881367.png
139KB, 1027x731px
The only ones we actually use are ä and ö and both are very much necessary. Then again we do have a lot of unnecessary letters in our alphabet.
>q, w, å, z, x, c
Letters F, G, and B could also easily be replaced, since they are mostly used only in loanwords and in most cases F can be said as V and G as K and B as P.
>Uniformu = uniform, everyone understands you if you say univormu
>aggressiivinen = aggressive, everyone understands you if you say akkressiivinen
>banaani = banana, everyone understands you if you say panaani, which is probably more common anyway

We do however use G in the -ng sound, but then again it isn't really G sound in it but something else and we could just have our own character for it.
>>
>>77556323
It's where these letters originally come from. There are many fracture texts where äöü are written as aou with a small e above them. Over time this has been simplified to two dots, but originally those dots are an e. So, if you need to, you put the e to the side and write Aepfel instead of Äpfel. It's very common for email addresses for example.
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-07-25 14:06:43.png (837KB, 1136x614px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-07-25 14:06:43.png
837KB, 1136x614px
>>77559755
and now that I'm at home and not phoneposting any more, have an example picture
>>
Does i count as ı with a diacritic
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.