[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English class for natives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 02f.jpg (34KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
02f.jpg
34KB, 655x527px
What is english class in a english speaking country like?
Do they teach morphological syntax, preffixes and suffixes?
And why are so many americans complete shit at basic grammar?
>>
They don't teach grammar in American schools, you get the basic subject and predicate, prefix and suffix stuff in elementary school, but beyond that English class is really Literature class, and the rules of the language are learned by example through reading books.

t. lived in America as a kid
>>
>>77509453
>only literature
Why would they do that
What a waste of time
>>
>>77509834
It's to pad the GPA of brainlets so the school doesn't look too bad on paper
>>
>>77509453
What state? We were taught grammar with grammar trees or whatever they're called.
>>
>>77509834
>believing some random monkey on the internet
>>
>>77510063
Florida. Which, yeah, I know Florida education isn't good, but that was my experience
>>
>>77509278

I always disliked learning english grammar shit
but learning a new language made me realize that english is babbys first language and is easy as shit lel
>>
File: dailydiagram34.jpg (69KB, 1027x550px) Image search: [Google]
dailydiagram34.jpg
69KB, 1027x550px
>>77509453
Depends on the American school. More conservative school systems put heavy emphasis on grammar education. I spent a lot of time in middle school doing pic related

>>77509834
It's not that weird. Formal grammar education fell out of fashion in the UK decades ago because the new wave of lefty teachers thought it got in the way of kids being able to express themselves and denigrated retarded chav speak or whatever
>>
File: 83f7933.jpg (48KB, 750x683px) Image search: [Google]
83f7933.jpg
48KB, 750x683px
>>77510087
>Florida
>implying that shit hole represents the rest of the U.S.
>mfw

Go take some bath salts and eat your neighbor's face. There's a reason why Florida is the butt of so many jokes.
>>
>>77509453
This. An "English" class is just a literature comprehension class.
I learned more about English grammar on the first day of Latin class in high school than I did in 9 years of "English" class in grade school.
>>
>>77510132
I never figured out how to read these stupid fucking things. It doesn't even make sense for this to exist since English does not look like this.
>>
>>77510132
>that flowchart
Scary stuff
Did you "analyze" phrases in english school? As in, having to tell what part is the subject, what part is the predicative, what kind of word each word is, subgroups within the phrase..
>>
>>77510326
>It doesn't even make snese for this to exist since English does not look like this.
That's the fucking point. You're supposed to break down the sentence into its constituent parts in an abstract way that shows you know: a) how all the constituent parts should be classified and b) how the constituent parts are organized to affect the meaning of the sentence

It's not a practical tool. It's an abstract process that forces you to think about English in a structured, logical way.

>>77510407
Yes, although that's elementary and middle-school stuff. By the time you get to high-school, your grammar lessons are ten minutes at the beginning of class that you spend correcting sentences.
>>
>>77509278
grammar lessons were minimal
like everyone else has said, it's mostly just literature/creative writing/essays
>>
In elementary and middle school, we basically just learned subject and predicate, parts of speech, basic punctuation, etc, and there was a good amount of correcting sentences. In high school, we learned about more "complex" things like semicolons, compound and complex sentences, and the like. We also did the same thing as in the pic of >>77510132

Aside from that, it was spelling and vocab tests (moreso the former in elementary/middle school, moreso the latter in high school), as well as practicing writing and reading/analyzing literature, with the latter two taking most of the time in English classes.

I'm from Michigan, by the way.
>>
>>77509278
You need to learn very basic stuff. Most just memorise it to pass the exams and forget about it.
>>
>>77509278
Most Americans are shit at grammar when we don't try to be good with it. Try reading a essay or book written by an American. Even amateur there won't be many mistakes.

>>77509453
Wrong

>>77509834
>>77510058
also wrong
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.