[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pennsylvania Dutch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: PADutchRecruit.jpg (520KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
PADutchRecruit.jpg
520KB, 1536x2048px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czHRGQhvRvI

Thread for Pennsylvania Dutch and in or about the Pennsylvania German dialect. I'll answer any questions anyone has about it
>>
apart from the Amish you surely don't exist anymore

regards, resident of le Lancaster county
>>
>>77404047
My family is from Berks and there's a good bit of people that still speak and identify with it there and speak it much better than that Amish patois
>>
>>77404079

Können Sie ein Deutsche restaurant empfehlen?
>>
>>77404322
Pennsylvania Dutch awwer Deutsche restaurant? Ich wett nett in ennicher Deitsche restauranter esse. I mean really, I wouldn't eat at any "Pennsylvania Dutch" place, except some delis

Reading hat eine gute Oktoberfest
https://www.readingliederkranz.com/
>>
>>77404538

yeah, the ones I've found have been pretty divey

it's more a curiosity today, it's hasn't seemed to me to be enduring on the landscape, the people assimilated at a fever pitch in the 20th century

honestly, I only have witnessed amish ever speaking a german language
>>
>>77404845
if you have a particular question, I'm willing to answer
>>
>>77404940

How do you learn that language? For one, is it actually taught in any way in schools out in the boonies? It's not just half-hearted muh heritage is it?

Also, really, where are you guys? It's like a new take on "The Invisible Man."
>>
>>77405084
I'm from a family with a Mennonite and German Reformed background, we haven't been Mennonite for a couple generations though. I learned standard German in HS and College, and have a lot of interest in linguistics and got interested in the dialect primarily for what I'll call religious and academic purposes. There's an abundance of learning material online, textbooks, dictionaries, and there's plenty of resources in the Berks/northeastern Montgomery region

I don't know. Have you been looking for "us" before this thread? If not, then, you can't really find what you aren't looking for or aware of, can you?
>>
>>77405084
well this thread isn't really taking off anyway and I must go to sleep now

if you are interested you may want to look at Professor Mark Louden's book "Pennsylvania Dutch"
>>
>>77405318

Nothing in so far as never really seeing evidence of the culture in the public square I suppose. It's kind of disappointing. The Amish are neat though, if very cloistered.

How many speakers of Pennsylvania Dutch are there that you know of?
>>
>>77405417

Well good luck m8, sorry I'm the only one that showed up to your thread.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.