[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linguistics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1495894259815.jpg (38KB, 556x610px) Image search: [Google]
1495894259815.jpg
38KB, 556x610px
Have any of you guys studies Linguistics?

I am planning on studying it, though i'd like to know some info before hand from people that actually studied it or know people who studied it.

I am autistically interested in language and i have no idea why.
>>
>>77213193
I've studied English linguistics. What do you want to know?
>>
>"planning on"
>"interested in"
you're not gonna make it
>>
>>77213579
What is it like as far as course work and such?
As you probably heard, i am quite interested in language as a whole as well as other foreign languages.

What exactly is it like? All the info at the college info thing i looked at was rather broad and didn't give me much info other than semester starttimes.
>>
>>77213855
>hating prepositional verbs
OUT
>>
>>77213863
Choose courses (and instructors) carefully. Some professors aren't all that, others are really great. Introductory courses can be boring or confusing (if you're completely new to linguistics) but should give you an idea about what to expect.
>>
>>77214028
I see, thank you for the over view.

As far as courses what should i be expecting?

I have read on a few different colleges that courses differ.
>>
>>77213905
its not that
everynow and then theres an american post about "wanting to learn a new language" or shit like that
wasting time seeking advice when you could be starting to learn already
>>
>>77214195
Well, early on things can be kind of boring. For each class, you're supposed to do a lot of reading, a few assignments here and there and usually a presentation on a topic that you also have to write a term paper on.

Once you figure out which aspect of linguistics you want to focus on in your studies and possibly find a preferred school of thought within said area, things can become more interesting. In one class, e.g. we had to do quite a lot of serious work in study groups during the whole semester, the results of which we had to present to the whole class in the end.

Also, since I studied in Germany, I also had to take classes on English grammar, writing, history, literature and on how to best translate texts.
>>
I studied linguistics in english for 2 years at UMass Amherst (7th best for linguistics in the world and 4th best in the US) and a lot of it has more to do with how a language is structured. Its a pretty logic based major but it isnt super hard. What youll study is the structure of english most likely and compare it cross-linguistically to see what parts of language predict other parts and essentially how it functions. I switched over to another major, but i imagine you wont start looking at other languages till senior year or grad school. I highly recommend taking computer science alongside it, as computational linguistics will earn you good money and it is also heavily logic based. ill chill in this thread if you have any other questions
>>
>>77214764
>>77214540
That is another thing that interested me is other languages. Obviously that isn't linguistics main focus but it's always interested in me.

My interest is in Language Acquisition. More specifically the linguist Stephen Krashen's field of study. I find that very interesting and would love to learn more about that field.

Other languages interest me as well, and i have became decent in Japanese within 4 months. I can read a review on Amazon with reference to a dictionary rather smoothly. Vocabulary is my biggest down fall as i lack that.

In short, i am more interested in language acquisition and that would probably be a big section of linguistics i'd enjoy to study at a high level.
>>
>>77215456
Sorry for the spelling mistakes, on mobile in a car it's a bit hard to type.
>>
>>77215456
A lot of people are interested in that, and so i would consider looking to see if your university has a joint psych/ling program or do a double major in linguistics and a BS in psych. you could probably try doing a BS in psych and a minor in linguistics.
>>
>>77217234
True, i never thought about it like that.
I was either going to just do Linguistics or do CS + Ling.

I already know how to program and have been for some time, i am just really bad at math so CS would probably be a flop for me.

I enjoy language and i enjoy programming i just don't enjoy maths.
>>
>>77217294
Most computational linguistics programs require Calc 1 at max, so i wouldnt be worried. if you do cs then youll probably start with java or python and those are easy enough if you put the time in. cs and ling will bring in the paycheck, but if youre really only interested in acquisition, try to orient yourself that way instead.
>>
>>77217412
Ideally i could probably get a job without a CS degree. I program a lot for fun, so it won't be an issue i don't think.

A few friends of mine work for startups without a degree in CS (They were Eco majors and then decided to get into webdev).

It is still up in the air but right now the path you described seems the best for me. It seems to have my interest the most.
>>
>>77217493
How old are you? And what languages can you speak?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.