[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is life like for non-English speakers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0357.jpg (38KB, 274x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0357.jpg
38KB, 274x320px
I am curious. If you can remember a time before you knew English, what was it like living in a place that mostly spoke it? What does English sound like to people who don't know it? I use to believe that people's brains would just translate their language to English anyway. Basically as a kid I thought everyone "thinks" in English.

I only know English so I don't know what life was like but I am really passionate about video games and recently found that most online help for games are in English! Which means players who don't know it may not beat certain games or ever become good at them. This fact actually made me sad because I feel like video games is a good way to kind of bridge gaps between cultures as a fun activity?

Anyway, what was learning English like and what was life like before you knew English?
>>
>>76625561
i learned it with online flash games and google translate
theres a video of how english sounds to non speakers if youre curious
look it up
>>
>>76625561
Life was normal, i used my native language since it's the language everyone around me could understand. But i started learning english when i was around 6 years old by playing on my Nintendo 64. All text and dialogue were in english but i could grasp the basics by using a english-portuguess dictionary. Youtube also helped a lot, i can easily understand spoken english because i spent years watching english-speaking youtubers from all around the world. But i never took proper english classes, which is why I don't consider myself fluent yet
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

Try learn a new language if you really want to know what's it's like
>>
>>76625561
isnt that brand the wrong way around
it should be horizontally flipped
>>
>>76627485
Btw, i can understand spoken english easier than portuguese from Portugal (mostly I'm not used to their accent), english comes naturally while i have to focus to understand what someone from Portugal is saying
>>
The coolest thing is when you can understand song lyrics. Especially if you heard it as a kid and now it's not gibberish for you
>>
>What does English sound like to people who don't know it?

I don't even remember this. Once you start learning it, it no longer sounds like noise and you can't comment on how it sounds.
>>
File: 1473189304585.jpg (83KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1473189304585.jpg
83KB, 450x253px
>>76625561
>Basically as a kid I thought everyone "thinks" in English.
Same except in Finnish. I thought English speaking people see the alphabet differently and "cat" somehow becomes "kissa" in their eyes.
>>
File: bennylava1.jpg (10KB, 307x242px) Image search: [Google]
bennylava1.jpg
10KB, 307x242px
>>76627491
>>76627481
It's a dumb video and if an English speaker really wants to know the answer to OP's question that video doesn't help. Just saying.

You really want to know what a language can sound like to someone who doesn't know it? Then pic very, very related.
>>
>>76629792
The video is actually pretty accurate.
>>
File: 1419003531691.png (130KB, 232x198px) Image search: [Google]
1419003531691.png
130KB, 232x198px
>>76625561
>I am really passionate about video games
Stopped reading here

No but seriously at this point I'm practically bilingual so "thinking" in English is a default when I'm reading/speaking English. Then only time when I really have to translate shit in my mind is when I'm trying to get a certain structure in a sentence or a certain word (so when my vocabulary is lacking).

I learned English from Pokémon/Yugioh cards, games and the internet in general. Having English family also helped. Oh and a lot of tv shows were subbed and not dubbed back then so you were exposed to it anyway
>>
>>76629792
I still hear english-speakers like that
>>
>>76625561
Playing Pokémon games as kids could be a bit hard, because nobody could understand what was said, so finding HMs and overcoming blockades was mostly a matter of trial and error and whomever found a solution would share it with his friends.
>>
Learn another language, you get so much value from it. I mostly learned from watching british and american tv-shows, and playing Warcraft III. Dubbing is completely non-existent here except for kids movies, so every tv-show that's imported is always in original language with subs, even if it's french, spanish, german or english. when you've learnt a language it's almost impossible to pinpoint what it sounds like though.
>>
>>76625561
>what was learning English like?

I learnt by reading and watching jewtube. Although, I knew some from School.

>what was life like before you knew English?
Nothing changed but the language of the films and series I usually watch.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.