[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

6 different A1 languages or 1 C2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2118.jpg (277KB, 2550x2550px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2118.jpg
277KB, 2550x2550px
From the perspective of using linguistics purely as a hobby to translate stuff for fun and shitpost, would it be more enjoyable to spend a long time on gaining fluency in a single language, or to reach A1 and move on to something else?

At the moment, my Dutch is between A1 and A2 but the more difficult lessons I'm taking now are frustratingly hard and I'm starting to get kinda bored with it. I can read a newspaper and tell you the general gist of what's going on and I can have short conversations with Siri but that's my current ceiling.
>>
>>76305105
Where are you taking lessions, and knowing more languages is great for shitposting IF I COULD FIGURE OUT THE GRAMMAR AND WORDS FASTER
REEEEEEE
>>
You should never believe those "Polyglots" because learn a language takes time, between 5 or 6 years to be at the same level as an Native Speaker with a good education.

The problem with the languages and Polyglots is that they upload a video of an asshole reading in a foreign language and all the people believes that. Therefore they don't know shit *Im talking about the assholes who praise idiots who read in a foreign language without fucking clue.

Then, remember that the mastery of the "Social Language" is different from the "Academic/Formal Language". Thus as someone who learned British English and lived in the U.S for a year I can assure that those internet polyglots *nearly 70%* tend to be fake.

Advice: Learn one full language and then go for others.

Cheers.

I speak Spanish, English and Italian kek
>>
>>76305105
You won't be able to dive too deep into the profound waters of shitposting in a foreign language with an A1 level. Well, except for Sp*nish, that's it.

The shitposting on /lat/ makes you wonder if every one of them are just mentally challenged, because not only of the poor quality of the brand of Sp*nish being used but also it looks like they don't know more than three words each one, and don't know enough grammar to compose anything but the simplest kind of sentences.
>>
>>76305576
I'm not involved with the community so I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. (I didn't even know one existed lol) I thought it was just a term for "person who likes languages" I didn't know it was a shitty elitist subculture ;(

I just really like world cultures and I get a natural high off reading De Telegraaf and understanding it (kind of) so I'd like more of that feeling.

>>76305815
I do ok when I post in /NEDERAAD/, like I said I'm above A1 and fairly close to A2.
>>
I'd go for as much A1 as you can, friend. If you can hear well enough to spell, you can transcribe everything into a translator. If you see some text, you can tell the difference between Ethiopic and Georgian, you can sound out Russian and see if you can guess it, you can get by anywhere you visit, and best of all you can impress people at parties.
>>
>>76305339
Duolingo. Stay the fuck away from the mobile app though it's a cash grab. Also, I hear that courses on languages in a non-Latin script are pretty shit. It's the best free app I've come across though, and their discussion forums are pretty active and the interface that links your profile like skills and levels like it's an RPG is a lot of fun.
>>
>>76305105
>I can read a newspaper and tell you the general gist of what's going on
Lusophones are all A1 in Spanish by default, going by that definition. I wouldn't consider reaching A1 to be learning a language at all.
>>
Always better to know languages on a native level in my opinion, there's probably not a big difference between A1 and using a translator.
>>
>>76306842
>this is A1 in polish
>"W Szczebrzeszynie chrzaszcz brzmi w trzcinie"
>>
>>76307421
And don't forget Italian.
>>
>>76305105
> Native spanish
> C1 English
> B1 French
> B1 Portuguese

Why are you learning dutch anon?
>>
>>76305105
At the end of the summer I want to take a test to see how my French is in these levels. How do I do so?
>>
>>76305105
Def 1 C2. 6 A1 is like you only know how to code 'Hello World' in 6 computer languages and nothing else
>>
Sounds like a defeatist attitude desu, you've probably hit a wall with Dutch because you're past the A1 A2 babby level and you're starting to really get down to learning, which is good not bad. The fact that you're actually challenged means you've made progress and you're going places, if you wonder why people on Duolingo have 10 different courses going at once it's because they hit the wall and bitch away from going further. In the end they're still monolingual and can't do anything with what they know.
>>
>>76305105
The better you get the more content you can access.
I can't think of anything interesting you could read/listen /watch with a A1 level in any language.
>>
>>76305576
This
>>
>>76313080
Also this.
>>
>A1
Stop being lazy you dipshit, go for a B2. You can't call A1 "knowing" a language. The wall between A2 and B1 is nowhere near as big as the one between B2 and C1, now when you reach that shit is where you have to ask yourself if you want to hit or stay
>>
Learn a few languages but learn them well. Learning languages is fun for shitposting and translation jobs, if you aspire to be a translator (and the more languages you speak as one, the better/more jobs you'll get).

I recommend starting by learning the writing system, number up to 1000, the five W's, colours and the most basic verbs and connectives.

It also helps to start with languages which are already in your language family

T. Translation student.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.