[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ETIMOLOGIA - Etymology thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: etimologia-dias-semana.jpg (30KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
etimologia-dias-semana.jpg
30KB, 640x360px
>Etimology is the study of the origin and evolution of words
Do you like etymology? what's your favorite word etymology? whats the etymology of your name? do you know the etymology of your weekdays?
>>
i like etymology for three reasons:
explains why we say 'uncouth' but not 'couth' on its own
ancient borrowings and reborrowings like 'orange' or 'egypt'
strange occurences in linguistic evolution such as with 'serendipity' and 'quark' to a lesser extent
>>
>>76277800
Yes
I have to say our word for lighting(rrufe), comes from Thracian rromphaia (spear)
It means Trustful and comes from oath
Yes
>>
E hene(Monday)- means Moonly
E marte(Tuesday)-means Marsly
E merkure(Wednesday)-means Mercurly
E enjte(Thursday)-means Enjly(from our God En)
E premte(Friday)-means Prednaly(from our godess Prenda)
E shtune(Saturday)- means Saturnly
E Diele(Sunday)-means Sunly
>>
>>76278992
here for sunday we say Domingo, from latin Dominicus (day of the lord)
but if we have kept the pagan name from romans, we would say "Soles" (literally means "Suns" in spanish)
also Sábado comes from "Sabbath" (day of rest)
>>
>>76279161
>Sabbath
Is there a latin country which doesnt use the hebrew word for saturday but uses Saturns day?
>>
File: sabadoHalf.jpg (1MB, 1625x1165px) Image search: [Google]
sabadoHalf.jpg
1MB, 1625x1165px
The etimology of my name "Antonio", comes from latin "Antonius" wich means "brave/valiant one"
its the most common name in Spain, next to Maria, so its just a normie name in reality
>>76279225
May I bring to your attention that every translation regarding Saturn (who the Pagan’s worshiped and coined Saturn’s day as Saturday) still has the prefix “S-A-T” while almost every translation that relates to the 7th day we call “Saturday” starts with the same prefix of “S-A-B” which undeniably refers to the Sabbath; note the same prefix “S-A-B”. Coincidence?
>>
>>76279340
>Coincidence?
Yes. Because of Abrahamic religions a lot of languages refer to Saturday as "Sabat"
>>
>>76279340
LOS
>>
>Do you like etymology?
Ye
"Tiza" (chalk) from nahuatl tizatl is used in every Spanish speaking country except Mexico, where we use the word "gis", from Latin "gypsum"
I always found that odd
>do you know the etymology of your weekdays?
>>76279161
Didn't know where domingo came from, it makes sense
>>
Maanantai - Monday (borrowed from swedish)
Tiistai - Tuesday (same here)
Keskiviikko - Wednesday (means middleweek)
Torstai - Thursday (more swedish)
Perjantai - Friday (this too)
Lauantai - Saturday (and this)
Sunnuntai - Sunday (and this)

Wednesday is our only OC weekday
>>
>>76279938
>viikko
Wonder where that came from
>>
>>76277800
I look up the etymology of like 3 words every day (usually Greek ones, sometimes English ones). I fucking love this shit. There is so much beautiful structure and history in it.
>>
>>76277800
One of the weirdest etymologies I have ever encounter was the Greek word "Σkορπίζω". That word means "I scatter"
Σkορπιός means scorpion (which is the origin of the English word)
There was also a war machine named "Σkορπιός" because it looked/operated like a scorpion and it scattered rocks or something.
"Σkορπίζω" means something "scorpionize".
>>
>>76280090
What about Heracles >>76280221
>>
>>76279989
fug :-----DDDD
>>
my name, vetle, comes from a one year old bear in norse. vetur means winter and -lið means to have survived or something
>>
>>76280090
>Σkορπιός
the Scorpio weapon in the roman army was kind of a mix of a catapult and a crossbow
if it hit a person without armor, the strength was so much that it could easily penetrate the person behind him aswell
>>
File: nice biota.jpg (527KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
nice biota.jpg
527KB, 1280x1024px
IF ETYMOLOGY IS SO SMART WHAT WAS THE FIRST EVER WORD?

CENKMATE!
>>
>>76279994
You're affecting etymology with that post by participating in the meme over-use of 'shit'.
>>
>>76280956
first word is presumably "ma" due to subconscious association of m to babby's first abstract object
>>
>>76279938
> Wednesday is our only OC weekday
No, because German uses the same word in German (Mittwoch).
>>
>>76280324
Heracles is from Hera the goddess and the suffix -cles which is from cleos which means fame/glory.
>>
File: a4d9733046[1].png (28KB, 686x192px) Image search: [Google]
a4d9733046[1].png
28KB, 686x192px
I like words that used to be offensive, or have disturbing histories you'd never guess. One example is bulldozer.
>>
>>76281940
LIKE A GOVERNMENT MULE, BY GOD!
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.