[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so spectacularly wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: hait-MMAP-md.png (79KB, 1036x733px) Image search: [Google]
hait-MMAP-md.png
79KB, 1036x733px
>>
File: the state of Haiti.jpg (215KB, 656x656px) Image search: [Google]
the state of Haiti.jpg
215KB, 656x656px
>>
island with land borders
>>
Wypipo
>>
>>76244723
so is ireland what's your point?
>>
>>76244600
The French
>>
Honestly the U.S. fucked them over, we should've helped after getting them independence rather than just leaving them alone.

>>76244751
I'm not sure how i'm supposed to tell you this.. But Ireland is a shithole as well buddy.
>>
>>76244751
>both Ireland and Haiti are islands with land borders
>both Ireland and Haiti has a long history of starvation
Hmmm...
>>
File: Worship-In-Action-Haiti.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Worship-In-Action-Haiti.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
>>76245001
I believe you guys are not obligated to help anyone outside you're borders so the fate of your neighbours is not your fault. I mean Haiti stands out because for it being so close to USA, the most goddamn wealthy cunt in the world, it's so striking to see literally a piece of Africa at your doorstep. I pretty sure even Jamaica isn't that bad
>>
>>76244672
This. Haiti's autism also made America go full retard regarding slavery. We were well on our way to getting rid of slavery until we saw what happened in Haiti.

1775-1783: Atlantic Slave Trade suspended during the Revolutionary War
1777: Vermont ends slavery
1780: Pennsylvania ends slavery
1783: New Hampshire ends slavery
1784: Connecticut and Rhode Island end slavery
1787: Slavery outlawed in the Northwest Territories
1794: The Slave Trade Act bans both American ships from participating in the slave trade and the importation of slaves by foreign ships.
1799: New York bans slavery
1800: American citizens banned from investment and employment in the international slave trade in an additional Slave Trade Act.
1802: Ohio abolishes slavery
early 1804: New Jersey abolishes slavery
late 1804: Haitian genocide commences, Americans are understandably disturbed by the events, rational debate about blacks and slavery no longer possible. This will lead to the Missouri compromise and other events that lead to the American Civil War.
>>
>>76244672
this is fucking inaccurate
>>
>Haiti had to pay a massive sum of money (with fucking interest) to France exchange for having their independence recognized
>find out that it took almost a century to pay off this debt
>they ended up cutting down all their forests to export timber and agricultural products to pay the French (and this is also why Haiti's environment looks like shit compared to the Dominican Republic right next door, which is almost as niggerish as Haiti)
>20th century was rife with political instability (American military occupation, followed by successive unstable or oppressive governments up until the 2000s)

After Haiti's revolution, France demanded that Haiti pay restitution for independence. Even after France lowered this amount, Haiti didn't make the final payments until well into the 20th century. This is not revisionism at all, as there are actual financial records of it. France even stated in recent years that it did not intend to repay Haiti all that money.

Just for some perspective: Haiti's current external debt is around $2 billion. Given the length of time it took to pay it off, it's hard to put an exact figure on how much Haiti paid in today's dollars, but it's estimated to be around $20 billion.

>cutting down all their forests
Haiti's economy was primarily agricultural. Pound-for-pound, it was one of the richest colonies of the New World because of it's massive output of sugarcane. However, industrialization reduced the price of sugar and with much less economic clout, Haiti began exporting timber and other agricultural products to France. In addition, Haitian society was unequal even after independence, and while the good arable land was used for cash crops, poor Haitians ended up farming in the hillsides, exacerbating the deforestation problem.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.