[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post a word in your language that has no single word English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5

File: DenmarkFlagPicture1.png (269KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
DenmarkFlagPicture1.png
269KB, 1000x800px
Post a word in your language that has no single word English translation, then post a translation of it.
>>
Huutista :D

>shoutenings :D
>>
Ngordh

It means die(only for animals except bees)

Also

Ata, means they(male)
Ato, means they (female)
>>
>hygge
A good cozy feeling
>>
>>76182541
Why do bees not count?
>>
>>76182472
It's hard because they took all our fancy words
>>
>>76182565
so, contentedness?
Sounds like a oneword translation to me lad
>>
>>76182614
They are sacred.
We use vdiq for bees and humans
>>
>>76182472
Geezah.

It means many things but I can't translate it.
>>
>>76182472
Immigration
>>
>>76182658
That's very interesting, thank you.
>>
>>76182734
Np
>>
Abencerraje
>>
>>76182620
A lot of words ending with -esque could apply. Take "dantesque", for example. It means "something in the style of Dante", and has no direct English counterpart.
>>
>>76182512
Tää :D
>>
>>76182961
Umm... Dantely,Shakespearly
Or Shakespearic?
>>
>>76182472
Visserligen/Förvisso

They're synonyms and uttering them means you acknowledge a fact while at the same time offering a counterpoint/-argument, or reluctantly acknowledging something.

Closest english translation I can think of is "be that as it may"
>>
>>76182961
We use the -esque ending in English. You hear Kafka-esque a lot for books/films that have similar feelings to Kafka's work, for example.
>>
>>76183019
>>76182961
English can use the same form, i.e. Dantesque. Kafkaesque is an adjective in english (though the form is blatantly ripped from french).

For Shakespeare, however, it's "Shakespearean"
>>
>>76182627
It's more like comfiness
It's "mys" in swedish
>>
>>76182627
>Collins English Dictionary named hygge the runner-up (after Brexit) as word of the year in the UK in 2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygge
>>
>simpatico
It's not sympathetic, it means someone who smiles to you and try be friendly and possibly even make you laugh.
It's a very latin thing.
>>
We have the desire/cursing mood, so the verb means you really want it to happen

qij-fuck
qifsha- I would wish really much to fuck

When used in the 2nd person is usually for cursing

vras-kill
Të vraftë ...- I put a curse(I desire so) for you to be killed by...
>>
Чaй [tʃai]. It means "probably/perhaps/most likely" but it is used in certain context to add certain attitude.
>>
>>76183261
Simpático in Spanish means the same bro
:)
>>
>>76183261
We have a word for that:
Sympatisk
>>
>Heimat
It's German word actually but often used in Poland too,
it means the place that you feel connected with, like you'r home town or specific region of your country.
I really like this word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat
>>
>>76182472
>inb4 saudade
Here's one: desenrascar
To solve a problem in the scrappiest and most unorthodox/unexpected way despite not being expected to due to the sheer pressure or odds.

>>76183261
it just means "nice" in English when applied to a person and not a thing.
>>
>andsperr
That muscles soreness you get after training.
>>
>>76182472
vittu - into the cunt
>>
>>76183703
nice or friendly can be the nearest equivalent, but I don't think they get the real meaning.
A nice person can just have nice manners, but not necessarily be "simpatico".
>>
>>76183762
Vittu means just cunt
Vittuun in there
Get it right, Raivo
>>
>>76183990
google before you chimp out, peki?

vitt means cunt
vittu means into the cunt
>>
>>76183742
R A R E
A
R
E
>>
sobremesa
regodearse
estrenar
>>
>>76183877
Maybe it's a difference between Portuguese and Italian, but I don't see how.
>>
>>76184072
I didn't know you used that word also :DDDD
>>
tegować - literally replaces all verbs
if you want to say "przekręć to" (turn it), but that verb got out of your head, you can say "przeteguj to" (prze- can be added to verbs, doesn't matter what that means) and everybody will understand,
translating it would be something like "thising"? xD
>>
>>76184259
finno-ugric languages have same word stems? such circumstances are unbelievable...

btw fug languages are like cheating at ops game

olemasolematutelegi - not even to the ones who do not exist

and i could go on forever with words like that one since the language is built like this

>>76184327
>thising
sedastamine - thising in estonian
>>
>>76184236
The meaning is probably the same between our two countries, I think you're mistaking the english one.
A nice girl can be just good looking.
A nice person can be good to deal with, but not necessarily fun.
>>
>>76184469
I get what you're saying. But it's a very slight change, just like our "eventualmente" meaning "may happen at some point here and there" and "eventually" meaning "will definitely happen at some point".
>>
>>76182472

Reconquista

Means to fight back the invader in the name of Jesus and the Apostle Santiago and regain the clay lost to foreign barbarians, be them moors, franks, saxons, vikings or whatever. I don't it exists in french either.
>>
>>76182658
Is there a historical reason Albanians revere bees? I've heard from other (or maybe it was you) Albanian posters that they are important but I'm curious as to if there is a reason.
>>
>>76184386
>olemasolematutelegi - not even to the ones who do not exist
Why so long when you could just say olematon
>>
>>76182472
I'm posting because I want to know if there's a word for tis

Chirusa/Chiruza

A very talkative woman, usually rude. Spends her time talking about gossips of her acquaintances. Maybe poor.
>>
>>76184386
>>76184552
I mean oleamattomaksi still shorter
>>
>>76184536
Pagan reasons mostly. The drink made by honey was used in ceremonial rituals and also because bees are animals that you cannot eat,but give you food.
>>
File: CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg-large.jpg (62KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CKy9yVNVAAEdTVv.jpg-large.jpg
62KB, 1024x1024px
>>76182961
You do remember the Normans conquered England, don't you?
>>
>>76184599
>Olettamattomaksi
Fixed that for you
>>
>>76184552
olematon - olematu - without existence
olemattomaksi - olematuks - to become not existing

it's not the same

t. finnish and estonian sbeager.

i'm sure you can come up with a long and unnecessarily complicated version of "not even to the ones who do not exist" in finnish. i'll leave you to it ;)
>>
>>76182565
gezellig in dutch
>>
>>76184741
Do you have a word for feeling shame for someone else?
Myötähäpeä

Well if you speak Finnish you would know. Ebin.
>>
>>76184855
>Do you have a word for feeling shame for someone else?
'piinlikkus' (painajalinen? ;D). or 'häbi' it's the feeling of watching someone do something embarrassing so you literally can not watch it being done because the shame somehow becomes yours or something

>Well if you speak Finnish you would know. Ebin.
i only speak it on a level good enough to communicate. such retarded words need a philologist touch lol
>>
File: 1496061872205.jpg (11KB, 240x238px) Image search: [Google]
1496061872205.jpg
11KB, 240x238px
>>76184072
>>76183990
>>76183762
Finno fight!!!!
>>
>>76184945
Damn maybe I should start to learn estonian. Doesn't seem that hard

Estonian has more loan words. Like I know hund means wolf while here it's susi for example
>>
>>76185110
susi is a taboo word in eesti. hunt or the softer loan hund from german is just another one of the names you are supposed to use for susi not to come and eat your childrens guts out. among others there is hallivatimees (the gray cloak man), metsakutsu (forest doggy), võsavillem (villem (a knickname) of the bushes) etc. etc.
>>
>>76183742
DOMS

>>76184531
Crusade is similar but can additionally mean taking new ground as well as reclaiming lost ground

>>76184569
Gossipmonger/busybody/tattler
>>
>>76185210
Yeah we had those similar names for karhu
Otso, mesikämmen, kontio etc
>>
>>76184523
That's interesting that it means could happen and for us it means it will happen. The root is clearly the same and yet the meanings have ever so slightly split.
>>
>>76184626
Oh ok that makes sense, basically bees are then Albanians totem animal (a concept of prehistoric Hunter gatherers). It's cool you guys have carried it into the modern era.
>>
>>76185370
Yeah. Although it wasn't that common a word we'd use, and the English meaning one doesn't have a good translation, the word "eventualmente" is slowly evolving to mean the English meaning for convenience.
>>
File: 6787649t1hb410.jpg (87KB, 1082x660px) Image search: [Google]
6787649t1hb410.jpg
87KB, 1082x660px
>>76185356
karu for us

otso and mesikäpp are familiar to me as substitute names. kontio is new for me. kiiti!
>>
>>76184823
>gezellig in dutch

>slides over to get comfy
>>
>>76185452
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjwmKNAO4fU
>>
>>76185110
>Damn maybe I should start to learn estonian. Doesn't seem that hard
I've had a similar desire to do it with Frisian. The problem is that Frisian is worthless and I'd only be psuedo muh heritaging (My patrilineal line is East Frisian and they lost the language in the 19th century)
>>
>>76182472
Abbiocco
The sleepiness after eating a great meal
>>
>>76185575
lol doggo getting all buffed up tho checking for backup every other second xD

typical wolf behaviour. nothing but big talk without the pack
>>
>>76185684
satedness

>>76185467
snuggles(?)
>>
The only other language i know is english so this is just something that can be translated to english

Mormor og morfar and farmor and farfar: This is like grandfather and grandmother but its Mothersmother and fathersfather and so on
Instead of uncle and aunt we use: Faster=fathers sister
Moster=mothers sister and so on
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (134KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
134KB, 1920x1080px
>>76182472
I have one that is unique to Salvadoran Spanish.

>Tetelque

That's the dry taste you get in your mouth after eating an unripe fruit, such as a green banana.

Example: "Este marañón me dejó la boca bien tetelque" 'This cashew fruit made my mouth very tetelque'

We use it all the time.
>>
Gezellig. It's not the same as hygge, because it's not cozy per se. A huge party or festival can be gezellig too (but is not cozy). Gezellig is just the vibe of laughing and talking with others and having a good time. Like gezellig in the car is when you all talk and sing along with the music. And gezellig with friends is when you all have a beer and talk or play games or whatever. It's good. I love gezelligheid.
>>
>>76182472
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJ
>>
sobremesa
>over-table: period of relax after having lunch or dinner, where the eaters talk while they have coffe or dessert. this can take between 10 minutes and 2 hours
foreign restaurants hate spaniards because of this haha

anteayer
>before-yesterday: the day before yesterday
>>
tutear
>you-ing: treat someone informally (as "tú")

vosear
>yourmajesty-ing: treating someone formally (as "vos" - shortening of medieval spanish for "your majesty" - vuesa merced)

estrenar
>use for the first time
>can also be used for movies "La pelicula se estrenó ayer" - "The movie was shown for the first time yesterday"
>>
>>76188033
Not unique to Spanish tho. Natafelen is done in many cultures.
>>
>>76188166
>>you-ing: treat someone informally (as "tú")
>>76188166
>>yourmajesty-ing: treating someone formally (as "vos" - shortening of medieval spanish for "your majesty" - vuesa merced)
We have the same: tykat' / vykat'.
>>
>>76182472
>doch
>yes
>ja
>>
>>76182472
ei/ele
male/female they
>>
>vorvorgestern
>the day before the day before yesterday
>der Tag vor dem Tag vor gestern
>>
>>76189298
We have it too but also for the day after tomorrow.
vchera = yesterday
pozavchera = the day before yesterday
poza-pozavchera etc.

zavtra = tomorrow
poslezavtra = the day after tomorrow
posle-poslezavtra and so on
>>
>>76189298
>>76189423
üleüleüleüleüle...eile (the count of days before yesterday by iterations of üle)
üleüleüleüleüle...homme (the count of days after tomorrow by iterations of üle)
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.