[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does he voice himself in the German dubs of his movies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg (302KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg
302KB, 1800x1200px
Does he voice himself in the German dubs of his movies?
>>
No, his Austrian accent makes him sound like a villager to Germans.
>>
>>76133396
Then wouldn't he sound normal to Austrians?
>>
>>76133418
No idea.
>>
File: Apu inquirer.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
Apu inquirer.png
29KB, 741x568px
Ever wondered what does Terminator say in the Spanish dubbing instead of "Hasta la vista, baby" so the spectator gets the reference of the character uttering a sentence in a foreign language?
>>
>>76133605
Mexicans ruined it and kept hasta la vista.
>>
>>76133605
What does he say?
>>
>>76133418
Pretty much most of our media and especially dubbed movies is in high German.
For most Austrians completely supressing your accent is extremly hard, native German speakers will almost always notice you are Austrian.
They only started using a mild form of our dialect in local productions, where the setting fits and you would expect people to speak Austrian.
I guess Schwarzenegger never had any training, so he didn't voice himself, because he would have sounded like an Austrian farmer to a wider German audience.
>>
>>76134033
Does he sound like a normal Austrian? Is your country full of Schwarzenneggers?
>>
>>76133605
"Nothing personal, baby"
>>
>>76133605
uma delicia, macaco!
>>
>>76133605
>foreign language
that wasn't the point, he was in LA and he is being culturally enriched, the viewer will always see the movie through the eyes of the protagnist, ie, LA is LA, hasta la vista should not change.

It has nothing to do with understanding what it means rather it tells you about the specific of that place, it should be left as is in all language iterations of the film

Watch the movie again
>>
>>76133605
ok, ready for that reveal

1 more guess: "see yeh down at the poob, Noige"
>>
>>76134079
He mixes in a few English words here and there for absolutely no reason and sometimes struggles a little bit.
If I didn't know he is an expat I'd say he sounds like an idiot.
Other that he sounds like an ordinary Austrian.
>>
>>76134447
Thanks.
>>
>>76134447
>>76134447
>>>76134079
>If I didn't know he is an expat I'd say he sounds like an idiot.
>Other that he sounds like an ordinary Austrian.

lmao
Found this hilarious to read
>>
>>76134079
The "barking"-accent is spoken in south-eastern Austria. there are about 500k to 1M of them.
>>
>>76134517
I guess that just happens when you rarely use your native language for 50 years.
>>
>>76134539
Where is Hitlers accent from?
>>
>>76132969

No he doesn't, but his voice-actor has a pretty great voice.

Here's what he sounds like in german

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M1MzLRnlV0
>>
>>76133968
>>76134096
>>76134402
"Sayonara, baby".

>>76134229
Spanish dubbing does not necessarily make sense.
>>
>>76134681
He is from Braunau, but in the speeches I heard he always spoke high German and I have never picked up any Austrian accent.
I guess he trained to lose it?
Maybe he still sounds like an Austrian to a North German?
>>
File: captcha.png (34KB, 306x266px) Image search: [Google]
captcha.png
34KB, 306x266px
>>76134684
There's something so bizarre about a German actor being dubbed over in German
>>
>>76134891

When he did his first movie Terminator, the producers of the german dub thought that his Austrian accent was too soft for the tough-guy role of the Terminator so they replaced him with a german voice actor.
>>
>>76134824
I remember sayonara being a common expression to say goodbye in early 90s but can't remember if it became a thing because of the movie or the movie took it from real life. I so, it kind of makes sense.

>>76134229
>he was in LA and he is being culturally enriched
But all characters are speaking perfect spanish in the dub so hasta la vista means nothing, no cultural enrichment there. Perfect solution would have been him saying it with a strong Mexican accent, using a different loanword was second best.
>>
>>76134891
Can Anglos with a thick accent just loose it without any effort?
Because you wouldn't hear an actor speak with a thick Scottish accent in an American movie for no reason either.
>>
>>76134841
What do you mean by "Austrian accent".
Austria is very heterogeneous for such a small country.
Stretching?
Not making a difference between soft and hard sounds?
>>
>>76134684
I don't know. Arnold's crazy voice is half the fun.
>>
>>76135107
>Can Anglos with a thick accent just loose it without any effort?
no
did you ever see the "American school project" threads
they sound retarded in french, spanish, finnish, because they dont get rid of it, or are too lazy to do it
>>
>>76132969
Christoph Waltz does.
>>
>>76134878
How do you hear the difference between a Bavarian and an Austrian?
>>
>>76134841
Hitler grew up in Passau which is in Bavaria. Whenever he speaks you can hear a slight Bavarian accent (or whatever people in Passau speak, it's in Bavaria though). Maybe that's why he sounds like an Austrian to >>76134878.
>>
>>76135651
pronunciation and melody

austrians have a weird way of ending sentences which almost sounds american
>>
>>76135555
Funny. I know Antonio Banderas voices himself in Spanish.
>>
>>76134841
>>76135705
Das Innviertel ist bayerisch, ihr Pfeifen. Erst seit den Massenmedien meint jeder Ösi wie ein Wiener sprechen zu müssen. Historisch klangen die Dialekte bis nach Linz sehr viel mehr wie das niederbayerische Mittelbairisch.
>>
>>76135651
While some Bavarians sound like some Austrians (due to dialect continuum), no Bavarian will ever sound like somebody from Tirol or Vienna.
>>
>>76135801
Als ob das irgendwas aussagt. Ösis sind auch nur Bayern, du Mong. Außer die Wiener, die sind komisch.
>>
>>76135751
Not anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ifQgNcbzM
>>
>>76135107
No, not at all. It can be quite difficult for us to ever sound wholly native in a language because many common phonemes are exotic to us (like a trilled r)
>>
>>76135945
That sucks. If I was an actor fluent in multiple languages, I'd voice myself in all of them.
>>
>>76135801
Kann ich bestätigen, früher als wir noch nicht die österreichischen Versionen der deutschen Fernsehsender sondern normales Prosieben, RTL, etc empfangen haben war ich bei weitem nicht so wienisiert.
>>
>>76136131
Voice actors and live actors use different intonations. Some actors can pull off both, but he was having trouble with his dubbing register and eventually decided to drop his ego and stop trying. Apparently he was pretty humble about the whole thing.

Bardem doesn't even try because he's a hipster cunt who probably hates dubbing.
>>
>>76136711
>Voice actors and live actors use different intonations. Some actors can pull off both, but he was having trouble with his dubbing register and eventually decided to drop his ego and stop trying. Apparently he was pretty humble about the whole thing.
That makes sense, I've never thought about it before, thanks.
>>
>everything sounds the same to me
>people in this thread arguing how different an accent is from the other side of a mountain
>>
>>76136812
no wonder

you are a stupid yank
>>
File: IMG_5485.png (42KB, 655x509px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5485.png
42KB, 655x509px
>>76137052
>ywn be Austrian
>>
>>76135107
no one can lose their accent without any effort, but often people take pride in their accent and don't care to lose it. americans with shit accents speaking other languages like to pretend that their foreign language is funny and bizarre by speaking it poorly.

french are the worst offenders as they will eventually become near incomprehensible as they get more comfortable speaking english. aussies also sound like shit when they come to america/britain just to be flamboyant and exotic whereas the authentic australian accents are much less harsh.
>>
>>76135107
It's hard for Americans too. I couldn't do a believable Southern or Bostonian accent. Some actors seem able to pull it off.
>>
>>76135076
And that's how we know that dubbing is generally superior (when it's well done): because it's done by specialized actors who are better at "voicing" than regular actors... even when these regular actors are superstars.

Friendly reminder for the retards: if a (X language) dub sounds lame to you, remember that it sounds excellent for the (X people)... and it's the original English that sounds lame to them.

Other friendly reminder: this is not always true and sometimes the original version can't be matched by any dub, but in 98% of cases dubs are better.
>>
>>76133605
he says Sayonara. Watch the making of those movies. Really cool.
>>
>>76135705
>Hitler grew up in Passau which is in Bavaria
>From 1892 until 1894, Adolf Hitler and his family lived in Passau
That's literally 2 years. You're making it sound as if he spent all his youth there.

Before and after that time they always lived in Austria and even Passau itself is directly on the border with Austria and will not have a different dialect from the other side of the border.
>>
>>76135447
Don't you fucking dare conflate Clapistani speakers with the rest of the English speaking world. We don't struggle with accents like they do. It's one of the benefits of not being raised in a cultural bubble where it is crammed into your head that your nation is the focal point of where the universe spins itself around.
Burgers are generally incapable or handling things like languages, aside from Chicano Spic, because they are largely oblivious of the rest of the world.
>>
>>76137555
It's entirely different reasoning for other English speakers in your country. You butchered our language, there is no fucking reason why any native English speaker ought lower himself to vomit out something in a more "American" way.
Only once you begin to stop bastardising the language and start using it properly will you have a valid opinion on the topic.
Just stick to Spanish, you fucking "colored" mongrel.
>>
>>76134841
Listening to his speeches it's not that easy to recognize, but when he talks normally you would quickly hear it.
>>
>>76139085
Forgot the link
https://vimeo.com/74010304
>>
>>76139085
>>76139117
How's Mannerheim's German?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.