[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me pick a language (picture unequivocally unrelated)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1494440518475.jpg (58KB, 640x623px) Image search: [Google]
1494440518475.jpg
58KB, 640x623px
What is the easier path for me to take? What will be more useful to me?

-Native English speaker, learning Swedish
-Father speaks Farsi (Dari) and can probably teach me if I ask, learning Farsi

Language learning background: 3 years of high school French, can count to twenty in Dari, and I already started Swedish on Duolingo so I know very basic grammar

Can I do both at the same time? Is it hard? FYI Russian is too hard but I would've chosen that..
>>
Farsi and swedish are pretty useless unless you actually intend on living in the countries in which they're spoken. French is a solid pick and a language that I think everyone should learn after english, at least in europe.

In all honesty though, just learn the language that interests you the most, but stick to one language at a time since starting 2 languages at the same time will just confuse you and hinder the learning process.
>>
>>75994622
they interest me equally. Whichever is easier I will go with. Is a slightly more difficult language learned in an actual speaking environment simpler than having one you can never use but very similar to your own tongue?
>>
>>75994757
Languages are learned much more easily if you actually speak them from day one and have someone to converse with
>>
File: cb41975284[1].png (16KB, 666x227px) Image search: [Google]
cb41975284[1].png
16KB, 666x227px
You'll find that high school classes have surprisingly little mileage when you really dive into a language. They're good for a basic foundation, somewhat like Duolingo in that aspect. Whatever you choose, set realistic goals and you'll need to learn how to learn on your own. You can't realistically study 8 hours a day every day unless you're in the Navy's Defense Language Institute (even then you'd probably end up hating the language in the end).

Speaking of the DLI, they categorize language difficulty for native English speakers. Swedish isn't on the list but it's a Germanic language, so in the same family as English; it'd be on the easier end of things.

You can learn 2 languages at once, but again you need to set aside at least an hour a day, and if you can't spend 2 hours a day learning you should just choose one. Make sure the languages are pretty distinct or you'll confuse yourself.

>FYI Russian is too hard
I don't think that's the right attitude to take. Learning any language is a serious time commitment
>>
File: white-flag-1.jpg (329KB, 847x567px) Image search: [Google]
white-flag-1.jpg
329KB, 847x567px
>>75994757
>>75994382
>whichever is easier I will go with
>Russian is too hard but I would've chosen that..

Yup, French is the language for you.
>>
>>75994382
whats the point of an american to learn french
or any other language for that matter
>>
>>75994622
Thank you for making me feel more confident for having learned to speak french
Gonna learn russian someday too
And I want to learn mandarin but that'll probably take forever
>>
>>75994757
french is definitely easier than swedish
but it's also prettier
>>
>>75997795
it's fun

also i find it rude when tourists here don't speak english so i think it's only fair that i get at least to a basic conversational level in the languages of the countries i visit
>>
>>75994382
I immediately attempt to die
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.