[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Common English mistakes caused by your native language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 1.jpg (253KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
253KB, 1600x800px
-Since we use lots of definite/indefinite articles in Portuguese we tend to use them excessively when expressing ourselves in English
e.g. Bigger than THE normal

Lexical similarly can sometimes be a problem
Spelling: (ENG) BelligerEnt; (PT) BeligerAnte
Meaning: (ENG) Suffer/Concede; (PT) Sofrer/Conceder. We usually use ''Sofrer'' to describe the fact that a team has been scored on so it will inevitably come out as ''Suffer a goal'' very often

Due to Phrasal Verbs being practically non-existent in Latin languages, in the beginning, the concept may seem baffling and unnecessary in some cases

And obviously, word-for-word translation will, in some cases, sound idiotic despite also being possible to form coherent sentences using this method
>>
File: 1461533769998.jpg (14KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
1461533769998.jpg
14KB, 238x192px
everything
we are hyper dumb
>>
>>75971455
Being unable to differentiate between past tenses properly. In English you can say: I said. I had said. I have said. In Hungarian we just say mondtam, and it means all three of those things.

I can't for the life of me understand what's the fucking point of all these past tenses.
>oooooh anon, but one means the action had already finished and the other means it is still related to the present in some obscure way nobody gives a shit about, that is also pants of head retarded logically when you really think about it

No, no, no, shut up. It's ALL in the past, it's fucking retarded to have like 4 past tenses. One is enough.
>>
>>75971455
Trying to translate idioms into English

I've said "hello snow" to people multiple times because my mum has said it to me so many times (дoбъp дeн cняг). It's said when you say something obvious.
>>
>>75973241
this
>>
Finnish doesn't have articles (a, an, the) so I forgot to use them quite often when I wasn't as fluent, same deal with he/she since we use the same word for both (hän).

>>75973241
>In English you can say: I said. I had said. I have said. In Hungarian we just say mondtam, and it means all three of those things.
Weird. In Finnish those would be
>Sanoin (I said)
>Olin sanonut (I had said)
>Olen sanonut (I have said)
>>
I remember some chinese bitch singing "hotel California" and she would say "welcome to the hotel of The California"
>>
>>75974565
That's nice, I'll use that.
>>
>>75971455
>Due to Phrasal Verbs being practically non-existent in Latin languages
Don't you just use prefixes instead though?
>>
>>75971455
they're their there
>>
File: elegance, simplicity.png (9KB, 1041x106px) Image search: [Google]
elegance, simplicity.png
9KB, 1041x106px
>>75975488
>same deal with he/she since we use the same word for both (hän).
Lol, same.
>Sanoin (I said)
>Olin sanonut (I had said)
>Olen sanonut (I have said)
That's strange. Do Estonians do this as well?
>>
>>75973241
Because 'tense' in English actually isn't just tense but some combination of TAM (tense-aspect-mood) which expresses not just time reference but also things like modality. Aspect is a little abstact, but it's sort of like a description about how the action of verbs advances or changes over time.

TAM systems are common in Indo-European languages, but are rather rare outside of them. Hungarian (iirc) marks its verbs with tense, number, person, mood, and definiteness.
>>
>>75981615
We foreigners rarely make these mistakes, actually. For the most part, we're translating them from known words that all differ in our own languages, so the fact that they sound alike doesn't even cross our minds, because they all are unrelated. At least to me.

Affect/effect is the one that boils my blood the most. They seem like such different words from different roots, that even though you don't enunciate the E or the A at the beginning in English, I still think them in my head to map onto Portuguese.
>>
>>75971455
they have french word but they transform them a bit, they remove sometimes just one letter and add another one for no reason, it is confusing
>>
>>75982865
It's cause you're Slavs. Guess how many past tenses Slavic languages have, at least for the last 200 years.
>>
>>75973241
lol try french
>>
File: GoldenLel.png (195KB, 296x301px) Image search: [Google]
GoldenLel.png
195KB, 296x301px
>>75975548
>>
>>75985442
Any Romance language, really.

Spanish has the most past tenses, and we have the weird subjunctive future mood that nobody else has, I believe.

Conjugating things isn't that hard in French. The hard part about french is being able to use your weird constructions and skipping half the letters you write.

I mean, we eat a lot of vowels, but that's mostly just compressing stuff. You guys outright ignore syllables.
>>
>>75985529
I normally just use the present subjunctive to mean the future subjunctive. Am I a vegetable?
>>
>>75986165
Oh, Spanish still has the future subjunctive, but it's obsolete. I thought you guys just didn't have it at all.

We still use it normally here.
>>
>>75986556
>>75986165
Ah, what we do have is a personal infinitive (similar to our future subjunctive) to use in place of our past imperfect subjunctive.

This is what's unique in our conjugation.
>>
>>75985237
Kek
English speakers keep on making this mistake till they're in Highschool tbqh.
Seriously, my social teacher used up half a class one time to teach the difference between affect/effect years ago

My dad taught me when i was like 7 or something

>The potions effects are affecting your character
>>
>>75986674
They are just such separate concepts in my head. I mean, I get it, but it seems like such a dumb mistake to make.

Then again, a lot of Portuguese people mistake these:
à - to the
há - there is
ah - <interjection, same as english>
á - <doesn't even exist as a single word>

Especially in phrasal expressions like "há dois dias" - "two days ago". People write "à dois dias" and "á dois dias" which is gramatically wrong.
>>
Did you guys fucking know that it was spelled "RESPONS I BILITY" with an "I" all along?
Fucking English I swear.
>>
>>75986852
hahaha
took me a while to get used to the ''I''
>>
>>75986852
of course, I'm not an imbecile
>>
>>75971455
Apparently it's common for Scandinavians to use -ing forms of verbs too much in present tense, instead of the -/-s form.
>>
>>75971455
Polish has no concept of articles. Expect a shitton of them to be missing in any English text written by your average Pole.
>>
File: 1495506403013.jpg (103KB, 754x1158px) Image search: [Google]
1495506403013.jpg
103KB, 754x1158px
>>75972172
ararm!
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.