[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bilinguality and internal monologue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: kefali.jpg (95KB, 1092x1203px) Image search: [Google]
kefali.jpg
95KB, 1092x1203px
In the last 2 years or so, because I'm using English so often, I catch myself thinking in English too. A lot of the time.

I consider this to be a problem, because I feel a lot dumber when doing this.
Words don't have the same connotations they do after translating them, and I seem to lack lots of the reasoning skills and the "consciousness" and clarity I have when thinking in Greek.
In fact I'm starting to translate everything word to word while reading or before speaking, but it's taking very long.

Is that a thing for you? How do you deal with it.
>>
>>75934200
bump because I want to know
>>
Have similar problem myself but that is probably due to my lack of proficiency in English
>>
>>75934200
>How do you deal with it
i don't mind it, nobody else but me will hear it after all
>>
do you actually speak english or you only read/write in english on a regular basis?
>>
>>75934200
I am getting faster at processing conversation in my new language and I have had a handful of dreams with bits in the language, but never thought in it. Not sure what that means.
>>
>>75934200
>How do you deal with it.

Stop going on 4chan, read more Greek.
>>
>>75934200
Yeah it happens a lot, i even curse in english sometimes and i don't know why
>>
>>75940657
Because cursing in English is a satisfying feeling.
>>
>>75940719
Not compared to cursing in Spanish.
>>
>>75934200

that sounds very confusing
>>
>>75940784
>COÑISIMO DE LA MADRE NOJODA
>>
I think your point raises from the fact that English is heavily context-depending. I've come across something similiar aswell t. Math-anon
>>
>>75940492
I listen to english a lot, and have been for almost 10 years (when youtube started taking off 99% of the content was in english, plus movies/series and video games)

I might be "mentally pronouncing" the words wrongly as I read them, but I do it nonetheless.

I've also taken some english classes over the years and chatted online, so I'm certainly understandable but probably have a heavy accent compared to natural speakers.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.