[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't India make Sanskrit it's official language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: States_of_South_Asia.png (130KB, 798x752px) Image search: [Google]
States_of_South_Asia.png
130KB, 798x752px
Why didn't India make Sanskrit it's official language?
>>
>>75523475
It's an ancient language that wasn't really used for general conversation by the time India got its independence. Also I believe India technically has about 20 official languages, with Sanskrit being one of them.
>>
I don't think Sanskrit has been used seriously in well over three thousand years
>>
>>75523475
I worked with an Indian who took it in school and he said it was the worst choice he made and it's really a theological/historic language at this point along the lines of Latin but without being used in science and medicine.
>>
That's like asking why didn't Europe make French its official language

India is made up of multiple ethnic and cultural groups that would be functioning as separate countries today if they weren't governed as a whole by the English
>>
>>75523963
Well we tried to give them Hindi for that purpose but they didn't use it very well
>>
>>75523475
leave it to South India to preserve any semblance of India's Aryan past

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mattur
>>
>>75524011
There aren't a huge amount of Native Hindi speakers. And even in the Hindi belt their are a ton of dialects.
>>
>>75524038
South India is much cooler than the North t-b-h.
>>
>>75524073

>There aren't a huge amount of Native Hindi speakers

What the...
>>
>>75523963
>India is made up of multiple ethnic and cultural groups that would be functioning as separate countries today if they weren't governed as a whole by the English
Actually from reading more into it, it was more because of the philosophers of the French Enlightenment, who spoke a lot about individual rights, equality and 'sense of nation' which inspired the Indian leaders of that time to try and forge a nation together.

England did group everyone together but people forget that it was French teachings that glued them and still glue them.
>>
>>75523918
Yeah. Only relevant for religious and academic purposes.
>>
>>75523475
Sanskrit is a dead language, like Latin or Hebrew. It's important for religious and historic reasons.

The languages in the North of India are all descended from Sanskrit.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.