[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lang/ - Language Learning thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 16

File: 38.png (247KB, 701x735px) Image search: [Google]
38.png
247KB, 701x735px
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>>>/t/746368
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe
>>
>>75450995

https://pastebin.com/CgH2B1eX
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP
>>
File: memrise.png (2KB, 153x121px) Image search: [Google]
memrise.png
2KB, 153x121px
Time to get serious.

>>75426139
What have you started with?Learning grammer?I would recommend you do something like Pimsleur before you go into grammer if that's the case.
>>
Just ordered New Practical Chinese Reader 1
About to start my Mandarin journey
Wish me luck, I'll need it!

I also got Fluent Chinese: A complete plan for beginner to advanced
I'll see how good that is also
>>
why is this thread so unpopular? 75% of the time that I visit /int, it is not there
>>
>>75451117
Good luck.Have you visited /sino/ they may have some pointers for beginners.

>>75451646
Most of the time there is nothing to talk about besides people posting whatever question they may have or their progression, combine that with no shitposting in these threads and /int/ being a fast board it's destined to die quick in the catalog.
>>
How different is Brazilian Portuguese from European? I wanna get in touch with muh heritage but I find most resources to be for Brazilian. I'm goofing around on duolingo to get my feet wet before finding something more rigorous to use.
>>
>>75450995
Oi, just a question. Why is language transfer (the site) not mentioned on the learning sources
>>
>>75453818
OP has a character limit so I can't put everything on it, most of the resources are on pastebin.But I didn't know about that site can you give a description of how it works?I'll add it to the pastebin.
>>
Just to add. BaBaDum (https://babadum.com) is a pretty cool looking website for vocab. It has an awesome interface and quite a lot of languages. I wish they'd hurry up and add Korean to the mix though
>>
>>75454384
Looks very nice, might use it
>>
Should I learn Arabic or Persian, /int/? Persian sounds a million times nicer, but Arabic has more resources.
>>
Recently embarked on Spanish as I consider marrying a qt from Argentina.
>>
>>75455784
I would go with Persian.
>>
French or Russian lads

Neither will serve any benefit to my life, I just like them
>>
>>75460022

As someone who studied a bit of both and decided on Russian, go with Russian.

French is easier but has more grammatical exceptions. Russian is generally harder but once you've got your grammar basics down it's well behaved. If you're like me and loathe memorising exceptions it's nice.

Also it's good for literature (roughly on par with french) and most importantly, for shitposting. Russian is the second most shitposted in language on the internet after English.
>>
>tfw want to learn turkish because their music is nice and plenty of dramas to practice

but then again they did enslave my country for 500 years so out of hate I haven't gone through with it lel
>>
>>75460022
Russian.

French is nice but unimpressive. The French aren't as encouraging as the Russians when you speak their language to them. Russians are bros

Russian sounds more badass too.
>>
Fell off the italian wagon again. 4 weeks of consistent practice. Fuck i wish i had some real motivation.

>>75451646

I tend to only post in this thread when i'm not learning a language.
>>
>>75455784

In my fairly limited experience, Persian has more resources. It's also going to be significantly easier and take far less time to learn to a decent level.
>>
>>75463519
>Persian has more resources
really? strange considering arabic is spoken more widely
>>
Sup fags. Had to fulfill a fine arts credit to graduate so I'm taking a Russian Language class. Anyone else trying to learn Russian?

Seemed pretty relevant considering I work in cyber security. (;
>>
>>75457005
I'm a qt (male)
>>
nump
>>
File: transleaf.png (181KB, 585x434px) Image search: [Google]
transleaf.png
181KB, 585x434px
J'étudie le français maintenant.
J'aimerais apprendre l'espagnol, mais je veux pas me désorienté parce que ils sont similaire.
>>
>>75465660
what at lad, how much do you know?
>>
>>75474172
At uni. I just started class today so almost nothing.
>>
>>75474305

Ah, well a good super basic book is The New Penguin Russian Course, give it a read and use it a reference for stuff like the cases and aspect + basic grammar concepts. Give it a read,

Cases aren't as hard as you may initially think, nor is aspect. It seems so at first but you get used to it. Vocab is the biggest hill to climb by far
>>
3 days of no anki 500 reviews.

kill me.
>>
Anyone have any advice for tonal languages?
My roommate is a Chinese qt and I want to marry into her wealthy family
>>
File: süleyman.jpg (65KB, 575x332px) Image search: [Google]
süleyman.jpg
65KB, 575x332px
>>75460504
>falling for the "let's roleplay as countries" meme
Never gonna make it.
>>
I just started learning German, there doesn't seem to be any reason behind why particular nouns are preceded with "der", "das", or "die"
>>
>>75483264
it's just grammatical gender. also they change according to case sometimes too.
>>
j'etudie le francais
utilise "Essential French Grammar" par Seymour Resnick maintenant
>>
>>75471276
Je veux pas me désorienter
>>
>>75463818
Yes but farsi is just one language. Arabic has a huge variety of dialects that has varying levels of mutual intelligibilty so resources for one may only be a single dialect that might not aid in learning any of the others. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, I've never looked into learning either. Just guessing off what the other anon said.
>>
>>75483345
I understand "das" is neutral, does it work if I just use that for everything?
>>
>>75485304
no. das is just for the neuter (=/= neutral) gender singular nominative and accusative. if the word has a different gender / number you'd use the article that goes with that gender (der for masculine nouns, die for feminine / plural, das for neuter.) also the article changes depending on how the word it precedes is used in the sentence, i.e. whether it's the subject / direct object / indirect object / or posessor.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_grammar#Case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_articles#Definite_article
>>
>>75451822
There's almost no difference. It's mostly regarding pronounciation, like british/american english. There's a couple of vocabulart things and some casual verb-conjugation rules but you'll end up learning both.
>>
>>75481943
>you are from the country you live in

come on, mehmet.
>>
>>75485304
DONT fucking do that, you will never be accepted here if you mix up articles, learn them.
They might seem random but they actually don't show gender but what declension pattern a noun follows, so die Maus and die Laus are declined in the same way while das Haus has a different pattern
>>
Recently downloaded Duolingo and have been putting at least a half hour in a day for Russian.

Starting to memorize some, I feel like I should start putting more time in though, but I'm worried if I do too much at once I won't retain the knowledge as well.

Also are there any ways to work on Cyrillic handwriting? The notes I take look like ass.
>>
>>75450995
currently italian and sometimes brazilian portuguese cause I love it
finding movies, news sources and youtube channels is vital and they are increasingly available.

it wasn't like this back in the day

GOD BLESS TEH INTERNETS
>>
I'm learning Norwegian because I got tried of learning German but needed to learn a Germanic language to keep up with my language learning hobby...
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 480x800px
>>75463441
Ecco amico
>>
>>75463441
>i wish i had some real motivation.
what's your "fake" motivation to begin with?
>>
>>75460562
>>75460229
that's what I was leaning towards. I also love russian literature and video games, which helps too.

it'd be good to speak something that isn't as vanilla as French as well
>>
>>75489003

Muh heritage, my Grandma is italian. I wanted to learn a language and that is about as close to a solid reason as i have to learn any language.
>>
>>75491352
How much have you studied so far?More or less than 100 hours?
>>
>>75491563

I've done the first 50 hours about 20 times lol. I've been learning it on and (mostly) off for 7+ years. I can read basic stuff (news, childrens books) with a bit of google translate help on unknown words and can follow conversations. My speaking and writing are basically nonexistent.
>>
>>75450999
https://pastebin.com/ZrY22qe0

Updated
>>
Does anyone have experience in translator/interpreter studies ? I've been studying something entirely unrelated for 2 years before realising that I was wasting my time, and now I'm thinking of starting from scratch in applied foreign languages.
Languages would be French, German, English. And maybe Russian if I can get good enough.
>>
File: 6rYoMaN.png (703KB, 771x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6rYoMaN.png
703KB, 771x1200px
I want to go to a nordic/baltic country, to actually live there. I was thinking about finnish, but I dont really care so Im asking you guys about which country and language should I learn.
>>
File: memri.png (80KB, 974x578px) Image search: [Google]
memri.png
80KB, 974x578px
What a beast these top guys are.I did 60k in 3 days and I feel like puking already, 90k points in 3 days is hardcore shit..

>>75495686
Learn Danish/Norwegian/Swedish if you want something easier compared to most other languages.If difficulty doesn't matter much then I guess try listening to their languages and pick one that sounds the best/the most interesting to you.
>>
>>75483593

Merci mon ami français :^)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH1fERC_504

Hallelujah - in Yiddish bump.
>>
>>75495686
If you learn Norwegian you can understand Swedish and Danish apparently.
>>
>>75450995
I'm learning Russian. I know a fair amount of words, so now I'm learning grammar so I can talk properly.
>>
I want to improve my English guys, any tips ?
>>
>>75491352
I have the same heritage motivation and it has its days
Going strong on duolingo this time
>>75492227
well you're pretty fine...

>7 years
how old are ya? you could visit it

I'm planning on getting a master's degree somewhere in italy or EU and travel there
>>
>>75503847
In what way are you trying to improve? Depends on what you're trying to improve.
>>
>Indo-European ""languages""
>>
>>75504763
understanding, vocabulary...
>>
>>75505224
Try Anki, Memrise for vocab and try listening to basic podcasts for understanding.
>>
>>75505224
To be honest, just going through a book with a dictionary would help a lot.
>>
File: time to learn a language .png (156KB, 860x3034px) Image search: [Google]
time to learn a language .png
156KB, 860x3034px
Need some advice guys. What language should I pick up next?

Speak: Bulgarian, English, intermediate Spanish.
Study: Korean, Russian.

Once I've polished off Korean and Russian I'd like to start something else. What would you recommend? Not really interested in French, German, or Italian.

I was thinking maybe Persian or Arabic for that script. Or Turkish for the interesting grammar. Not sure.
>>
>B2 german exam in 2 days
>not preparing at all

I don't even know what to do. I haven't actively spoken the language in such a long time. That with the fact that I'm incredibly shy most likely means I'll flunk it.

>>75505883

Can people really memorize words just by looking them up once in a dictionary? Because I'm doing that all the time, but I forget everything 5 minutes later.
>>
>>75507112
Try putting the new words into an srs system like anki or something
>>
Currently learning Spanish, lots of fun, not too difficult, made friends with qt Latinas, some good books and films in Spanish too. Gonna travel to Latin America next year too, would recommend as a language.

Is Portuguese or Catalan closer to Spanish? I am interested in learning one of these next
>>
>>75505882
I'll try thanks

>>75505883
Ok, thanks I'll try to find an easy book
>>
>>75507922
I can speak Spanish and both Catalan and Portuguese are close to Spanish. I can pratically understand Portuguese and I've never studied it so, go for it. Catalan is a useless mix between French and Spanish.
>>
>>75507112
try translating the same stuff you wrote here and saying it aloud for a start

bonus: post vocaroo
>>
>>75510475
yeah Portuguese is more generally useful too so I think it will be what I learn, thanks
>>
I've recently started teaching Spanish to a girl, it's fun
>>
>>75506965
Uhhhhh - why is Thai considered on par with Russian? Thai is most certainly a qualifier for the "hard" region and not the medium. I have experience with both.
>>
>>75512651
Never even looked at Thai so I don't know. Maybe the grammar isn't as bad?

Did you study the alphabet too, btw? What was that like?
>>
File: 1476728982598.png (188KB, 900x4800px) Image search: [Google]
1476728982598.png
188KB, 900x4800px
>>75505137
>>
learn classical tibetan now
>>
>>75507112
>Can people really memorize words just by looking them up once in a dictionary?

With a book, yes. The idea is you get exposed to the words multiple times throughout the book, plus you hear them when watching TV, or you use them in conversation. The advantage of the book is that you can read and look up the words at your own pace, and it's not a blur like what you'd hear on the radio. Watching TV with subtitles in the target language is helpful for the same reason.
>>
>>75514899
English is not Germanic, fuck off with that meme, its closer to French and Spanish than German
>b-b-but muh grammar
Nobody cares autist
>>
>>75522844
Languages are classified by their history, not their similarity. Latin became Spanish and French over time. It didn't become English.
>>
Eine fraun trinks milch
How did I do?
>>
>>75522844
the most commonly used words in English are germanic
>>
What exactly is ecть supposed to be?
>>
File: 1467565349953.jpg (32KB, 297x537px) Image search: [Google]
1467565349953.jpg
32KB, 297x537px
I am a bit confused by this meme, is it a joke about homosexuality, simply being cute or what?
>>
>>75522844
yes it is you fucking retard
>>
>>75523560
copula, i.e. 'is'

but it's omitted except in certain constructions (i.e. y мeня ecть яблoки), though even then it can still be omitted there too (y мeня яблoки)
>>
>>75513692
44 consonants, 22 vowels and 5 tones.

The grammar isn't too bad - there's no gender or anything like that. It's just everything else that's difficult.
>>
>>75523560
"To eat"
>>
>>75525074
>tfw took 2 years of Latin and see this pop up learning Russian

sp00ky
>>
>>75451117
All you need to learn is 幹你娘
>>
>>75488114
Have you checked out Russian cursive? Some of the letters are pretty different, but it's easier than drawing print letters. You can find practice sheets online pretty easily.
>>
What are some unusual cognates that most people dont even use ?

>Spanish
>Congratulations - Congratulaciones
pretty rare to hear it in spanish but it does exists
>>
Has anyone subscribed to Turkish Tea Time? Their podcasts are great but I'm not sure I want to spend the 11 dollars a month without knowing what lesson quality is like.
>>
>>75451093
What program?
>>
>>
>>75528249
english also has "pronouncing every letter is for chumps"
the french had manipulated pronunciation since the start since they were too stubborn to speak latin properly and used gaul pronunciation in their words
the english had the vowel shift
also english is not that hard
>>
>>75528411
>read, red, read, reed...
>>
>>75528411
>also english is not that hard
When I moved to England I was 5 and was fluent in a month, don't know if it was to do with my age though.

But I've been studying some other languages like Russian and Korean, and they're much more compact, as in there aren't as many words like "to/an/the/from", all that small shit in between the words.
It's probably confusing for speakers of those languages to get used to it all.

я yчитeль (ya uchitel)
나는 선생님이다 (nanun sonsengnimida)
I am a teacher.
>>
File: 61c.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
61c.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
Ey /lang/ mates, what's your opinion in wikitranslate.org?
I just hear about it, does it worth it?
>>
File: image.jpg (135KB, 729x704px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
135KB, 729x704px
Notice how the best argument from the Romance language speakers is you get used to it and not the main question of why.
>Mfw they don't even know
>>
>>75460229
>>75460562
>>75465660
>>75488114
>>75489431
>>75506965
>>75528781
>>75531687
umm, seems like there is a lot of Russian students these days, I am one too, any advice for a begineer?
>tfw I started like 4 months ago and I can hardly understand anything at all.
>>
File: 1483634719039.png (477KB, 785x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1483634719039.png
477KB, 785x1031px
>>75534470
>>
>>75528781
learning from an early age always helps, but really people should learn external languages the same way they learn their native tongue, by being surrounded by speakers and by imitation

the only way to get the proper pronunciation of a language is imitation.
i think this is why many spanish students fail at english, because they have no interest whatsoever in the language and they are too self aware (insecure) to speak it except if they play videogames with foreigners
>>75534470
russian alphabet looks like a nightmare, good luck anon
>>
Learning Russian too, but finding it a bit hard to find resources that aren't too easy, slow, or for advanced learners. I'm fluent in Bulgarian so I can read the Cyrillic, learn vocabulary quickly, etc, but most resources don't suit me.

Tips?
>>
bump for "need some Russians in this thread"
>>
File: Guacamaya-miltar.jpg (466KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Guacamaya-miltar.jpg
466KB, 1000x1333px
>duolingo

It actually works or it's just a meme?
>>
>>75539884
Mostly a meme but can help, best part is it's free.
>>
>>75536166
Russian alphabet is fine, it's the grammar that's the hardest.
>>
>>75535993
Any more of these flowcharts for other languages?
Pretty neat
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.