[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currency

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: US-$100-FRN-1928-Fr.2150-G.jpg (26KB, 250x222px) Image search: [Google]
US-$100-FRN-1928-Fr.2150-G.jpg
26KB, 250x222px
Let's talk about the coins and banknotes of our countries. As an American, my questions are:

>why haven't American banknotes been aesthetically pleasing since the 1928 series?
>why do we still use the penny and the nickel?
>why isn't the dollar coin more widely circulated?
>why are we replacing kickass Andrew Jackson with Harriet Tubman?
>>
>>75443598
they should get rid of pennies.. can't even use it in the parking meters anymore
>>
>>75443598
Two things I'd criticize about the currency in america. Three if you count 'in god we trust'.
First is that they are poorly coloured, not wide enough range or different enough from one another.
>inb4 muh monopoly money.

Second is that the motifs are inconsistent or does not follow a clear line. One side always has a guy, but the other can have a building, or an event, or the national seal.
>>
>>75444030
which dead peeps you guys got on your currency?
>>
>>75444110
Used to be some important historical blokes, like Carl Linnaeus. Now it's culturally significant figures from the 20th century, Ingmar Bergman and Astrid Lindgren for example.
>>
>>75444243
is ingrid bergman also on your money?
>>
File: 2dollar-bill-LG.jpg (260KB, 585x516px) Image search: [Google]
2dollar-bill-LG.jpg
260KB, 585x516px
>>75444030
i could really go either way on "in god we trust". I wouldn't throw a shit fit if it got scrubbed but i have no real problem with it. i do think that "e pluribus unum" would make a much nicer motto.

And sorry, I'm a "muh monopoly money" fag. I very much liked the greens and blacks of the older series and am not a fan of the post-2003 colors. Bills from 5-100 all have locations on them. Only the one and two are unique in having the seals of the nation and the signing of the declaration, respectively, instead of an historical location. The two dollar bill is actually my favorite bill, designwise. The illustration on the back is very attractive.
>>
File: sverige sedel 100 kr greta garbo.jpg (110KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
sverige sedel 100 kr greta garbo.jpg
110KB, 1024x512px
>>75444301
No, Greta Garbo.
>>
>>75444243
also wow, Carl Linnaeus on your bills is pretty neat. I'm not actually against Tubman on our bills, for example, but I feel like the U.S. has been trying to signal virtue way too hard with our currency designs with our most recent figures on our currency being Susan B Anthony and Sacajawea on our 1979 and 2000 dollar coins respectively, and Harriet Tubman to be on our $20. Personally I'd love to see Teddy Roosevelt on some money. I'd also be fine with dropping Jackson if we'd also drop Grant. I wish the presidential dollar coin series would've been received better, seen presidents past Garfield minted in appreciable numbers, and would've inspired people to circulate the dollar coin more, something about all presidents from Washington to Reagan in circulation would be pretty neat.
>>
>>75444566
thats pretty neat. wouldve though ingrid would be more popular

>>75444670
kinda wanna see FDR on a bill
>>
>>75444721
I would rather see FDR on the $20 than a nigger.
>>
>>75443598
>>why haven't American banknotes been aesthetically pleasing since the 1928 series?
security features

>>why do we still use the penny and the nickel?
nostalgia and inertia

>>why isn't the dollar coin more widely circulated?
no one wants pockets full of heavy noisy change. dollar bills are preferred by almost everyone except machines (soda, subway token, arcade, etc).

>>why are we replacing kickass Andrew Jackson with Harriet Tubman?
Firstly, to get a PoC woman on the currency for diversity's sake. Secondly, Jackson, the first Democratic president was also enthusiastically pro-slavery and anti native american (some say "genocidal"). The Democratic party wants to distance themselves from him. They don't want him to be remembered, just like they don't want people to remember that Abe Lincoln was the first Republican president.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.