[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were West African homes built of mud bricks if there was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1280px-Old_town_of_Zinder-1.jpg (271KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Old_town_of_Zinder-1.jpg
271KB, 1280x851px
Why were West African homes built of mud bricks if there was a massive rainforest along the coast? They had iron and bronze tools and even worked with wood to carve wooden figures and masks and doors for their homes. But yet they never built wooden homes? Why not? Wouldn't it keep them cool in the hot equatorial climate?

And yes I know this is a photo from Niger, but these were used throughout West Africa so I used the best one I could find.
>>
>>75425052
Mud also keeps it cooler, and wood would be harder to maintain in such a climate i think
>>
>>75425094

If we could get a Brazilian or Mexican in here we might know because they tend to build their homes of concrete which seems like it would be so hot all the time
>>
>>75425201
Stone would be cool in the early hours of the day and gradually heat up, helping to keep the house warm during the night. In turn the night would cool the stones keeping the house cooler in the day
>>
File: St_-George-Church-Ethiopia-2.jpg (180KB, 900x681px) Image search: [Google]
St_-George-Church-Ethiopia-2.jpg
180KB, 900x681px
>>75425052
That house looks comfy
>>
Mud bricks are very good at making the buildings cool in the heat.
Why chop wood to make a home where the heat of the day will seep in at all times.
>>
>>75425052
probably better off asking this on /his/
>>
>>75428086
/his/ is essentially just /pol/ if it took phrenology more seriously
>>
>>75425052
Arab influence
>>
>>75427241

I'd love to learn rock cutting but god dammit it would take forever
>>
>>75425052
Earth based housing such as this is from the Sahelian regions, wood was common along the coast.

Also it probably had to do with expanding influence from an inland groups imposing a style on new peoples or people imitating them.

Like why do people build with wood in Calgary when sod is much better? Habit and bias.
>>
>>2878556
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.