[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

English pronunciation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

I grew up in the eastern part of Ukraine. At school we were taught British English by an elderly Russian woman. In general, she did well, but my pronunciation lags far, FAR behind.

Could you guys listen to me reading and explicitly point out mistakes in pronunciation?
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1na7ZRhLp2b

What are other good ways to fix the accent? I was thinking repeating after a British native speaker who reads something aloud.
>>
>>75338201
You have very strong russian accent.
You can use dictionary.cambridge.org
to improve your pronunciation.
>>
>>75338201
>What are other good ways to fix the accent?
Listen to British speakers and try to see how they emphasise words in a sentence, and then try to imitate it.
>>
>>75339109
This.

Listen to British speakers and try to "sing along" to their speech. Imitate the entonation, the stressing, the overall rhythm of it.

>>75338502
And then this.

The muscle memory to pronounce things properly will come with time. Look at their mouths, look up the phonology and how to physically achieve each sound. I'll become natural after a while.
>>
>>75340273
>It'll become natural after a while.
fix'd
>>
An acquaintance of mine did something like that, listening to a British media person and repeating after him. When she moved to study at Oxford her speech was indistinguishable from locals.

Thanks for the advices
>>
Хэллo, хay ap йyy
>>
File: IMG_5993.jpg (93KB, 540x1172px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5993.jpg
93KB, 540x1172px
>>75338201
>british english
garbage
>>
You've jumped over the big problem most non-native speakers have, using the correct sounds and not the slavic equivalents.
What you need to master is saying the words fluidly and not having to think about forming sentences.
This comes with practice mostly, no shortcuts sadly. Try to speak and think in English at every opportunity. Even to your self.
>>
>>75344720
This right here. His accent sounds too good to be bad. He just has to work on the speed AND intonation, cause I could hear him say English sentences with english sounds but russian intonation
>>
File: sfjdkoas.jpg (83KB, 715x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sfjdkoas.jpg
83KB, 715x1080px
>>75338201
Listen to minimal pairs, get a feel for the sounds of letters within words, recite stuff out and use a SRS program like anki to match sounds with spellings.
Read pic related I guess

Talk to cute girls on italki, I'm thinking about learning russian even though I'll never speak it to anyone but myself.
>>
>>75338201
English is just German spoken by French
>>
>>75344258
Zip Code
Autumn
Donuts
Postman
Pretzel
Restroom
Pants
Hot dogs
Sidewalk
Crosses and O's
Eggplant
Cotton candy
>>
>>75338201
I'd strongly discourage from trying to fake a british accent.
It sounds absolutely revolting.

Just speak like your average boris from 80s american B class action flick.
>>
>>75344720
>>75345066
Well, I'm kinda good with this too, although my reading is sloppy...
>>75346318
Thank you! I didn't know Anki supports audio and never heard about minimal pairs before!

Being honest, I myself don't know Russian that well. It's so tricky in little details of which there is a lot to be found.
>>
>>75347040
There is even that add-on to ANKI that generates your own mp3 files using various sources, eg. those implemented into Windows:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/301952613
>>
>>75344258
>>75346494
the image is fake
>>
>>75346494
Rate my English.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0e7ENCXTVRl
>>
>>75344197
Yet another terrible leaf post
>>
>>75338201
I couldn't make out a word to be honest with you
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.