[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LATIN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: Latin.jpg (37KB, 550x283px) Image search: [Google]
Latin.jpg
37KB, 550x283px
Did you learn latin in high school? Is it common in your counry?

Me, yes, for two years, but it is not common to be taught Latin in Poland.

I find it difficult to learn for a slav but it really helps to understand roman languages a little even without learning them.
>>
eu sunt latin
>>
>>75217265
>Did you learn latin in high school?

Yes

>Is it common in your counry?

Only the middle class and higer class learn it, the pleb learn Spanish
>>
>>75217303
halo
salut
eu sunt
un haiduc
>>
Both latin and ancient greek.
No use in real life, just personal interest.
>>
File: sanskrit.jpg (39KB, 759x422px) Image search: [Google]
sanskrit.jpg
39KB, 759x422px
>>75217265
No.

It's better to learn sanskrit and discover that the world is not only Western
>>
>>75217265
No, I don't know of anybody who took Latin.
>>
>>75217265
Yes, for four years in high school.

>Is it common in your country?
Not that common as only a handful of high schools have it, but it is found both in state-owned and church-owned schools.

>I find it difficult to learn for a slav
I think it depends more on the language complexion, I found Latin to be as complicated and structured as Slovene, e.g. they share grammatical cases, so it wasn't that hard to get into it.

I still sucked at learning it, but mainly because it's dead, so there's no external motivation to do it, unlike languages where you go "if I study this, I can visit their country one day without feeling awkward talking to people", and it works.
>>
>>75217265
didn't learn it in school but I wish I did

now in engineery class I don't know if it's even worth it, even for curiosity
>>
File: 1477937457365.jpg (155KB, 1462x1462px) Image search: [Google]
1477937457365.jpg
155KB, 1462x1462px
>>75217303
>Romania are you latin?
>DA
>>
Yes. No.

Caecilius est pater.
>>
no and no

>learning a dead tongue

fucking hell dude
>>
File: 1431496197258.png (8KB, 419x249px) Image search: [Google]
1431496197258.png
8KB, 419x249px
No. No.

Lingua latina non benis canina
>>
>>75217265
Yeah, it's common in a certain type of high school. But spoilers: [[[[[[[[[it's a huge waste of time]]]]]]]]]
>>
no
no
>>
>>75217265
You learn Latin in the last 2 years of high-school only if you choose humanities as a "direction".
>>
Used to be common.

I wanted to learn it, but my school phased it out the year before I started there so I had to pick something else instead.

Have half-heartedly attempted learning it on my own but haven't made much progress.

>>75217982
Any advice for learning Greek on my own? How do I prepare myself to read Anabasis?
>>
>>75218740
you can study sanskrit in highschool?
>>
Yes
>Is it common in your country?
It used to, it's not any more. Only private schools can make it mandatory.
Ancient greek may be studied but it is even more patrician.
I took courses in latin from 14 yo to 16 yo.

>>75220825
I guess latin is to us what old church slavonic is to you.
Is it a thing too ?
>>
>>75225010
I think it's more connected to Orthodox nations, since they write in cyrillic script, but I could be wrong.

Slavs are more of a language group than descendants of one civilization, so tradition of my ancestors differentiates a lot from let's say tradition of someone whose ancestors are Ukrainian.
For some reason or another, Slovenes have a strong Latin tradition, perhaps that's because of close proximity to the heart of the old empire, while old church slavonic barely touched these lands, outside of maybe Carinthia (Austria) back in the early medieval period.
>>
>>75225010
>Is it a thing too ?
Not really, even in the Orthodox cunts. Latin and Ancient Greek were languages of powerful and scientifically advanced empires while Old Church Slavonic is just a Slavic dialect Cyril and Methodius translated the Bible on. I don't think it makes any sense to compare them
>>
>>75217265
>I find it difficult to learn for a slav
What? In some aspects Latin is very similar to Slavonic. Just compare conjugations for example.
>>
>>75217265
yes, middle school too for a year
in theory, it's one of the 4 most important classes for humanities students (you get to choose between science and this when you apply)
science students don't study it at all
mandatory in the last year of middle school

nobody really gives a shit about it though
>>
>>75217265
yes 2 years
havent learned shit
>es tote prudentes sicut serpentes et simplice sicut columbae
>>
>>75217265
Yes, I still remember the first ten word I had to learn in my first year.

dux (nom.) - ducis (gen.) - m - leader
dolor (nom.) - doloris (gen.) - m - grief
hostis (nom.) - hostilis (gen.) - m - enemy

etc...
>>
>>75217265
Learnt it for 6 years. Children attending Gymnasium usually have at least the choice between Latin and French. ... I took both, and Spanish too.
I don't know much anymore but I'm glad I took it.Taught me to derive the meaning of a word by its context, some better style in German and also [spoiler]it was fun[/spoiler]
>>
>>75217265
No

But It used to be taught in schools in the 50's just to follow the mass which was in Latin.
>>
>>75217265

No, taking it in uni though

Not that I know of, I would be surprised if any public schools still teach it. When my grandmother was in school it wasn't uncommon for them to teach latin or greek
>>
>>75217265
a little, I don't remember it though.

I wish I had more serious classes of Latin.
>>
>>75217265
Yes, for two years. It's not common either because to study Latin you have to choose it over Maths.
>>
>>75217265
No, but for a Romance speaker with enough self teaching and knowledge of how Latin works there is no real need of full lessons.
>>
Yes, Rosa, Rosam, Rosae

Either I'm bad at languages but I never learned or remember anything from languages courses
>>
>>75217265
Don't worry, even Slaves will learn lingua latina
>>
>>75229702
>>75221398
i'm trying to learn it. do you know how different grammar wise it is form Spanish/Portuguese or English for that matter. like... i heard it dosnt matter the order words go in a phrase. is it true?
>>
>>75217265
No.
No.
>>
>>75233058
Is (Ancient) Greek common?
>>
>>75217265
Yes of course. Both in middle and high School. Can you understand a bit of italian having studied Latin?
>>
>>75232997
yes, but that's almost like german, where only the primary verb needs to be at the second position and the secondary verbs at the last position. You can understand the function of the word by its case, which English or Spanish lack (dunno bout portuguese).
>>
>>75233240
same as Spanish. Spanish and Portuguese are the same 2bh.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.