[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Language learning methods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: hentai.png (22KB, 2400x3200px) Image search: [Google]
hentai.png
22KB, 2400x3200px
What are your language learning methods /int/?

Right now i am trying the immersion method with Japanese (Basically listening for 12+ hours a day, reading a shit ton of articles, adding sentences to anki when i run into a grammar or word i don't know etc)

It's too soon to say if it's working or not, but it's fun. What is your language learning method?
>>
>>75146471
How does one learn C++?
>>
>>75146498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rub-JsjMhWY

Guys voice is the most annoying in the world, but i guess it's an okay tutorial.
>>
>>75146471
That's basically all. Immerse yourself in the language.
I also like reading sadpanda in my target language.
>>
>>75146471
learn the most common 100 words then most common 1000 words of said language, then start reading children books, work your basics
>>
>>75148591
That isn't a bad approach. I think it's something like 90% of language is just based off of 3000 or so words.
>>
Reminder to use an actual physical journal to keep notes, all digital doesn't work.
>>
>>75149623
I use Anki, what is wrong with just using Anki?
>>
>>75146471
Immersion method hasn't really worked for me with radio. I just ignore it.

>>75149623
Sounds good. I second.

>>75150027
Memrise > Anki
And physical helps you remember better.
>>
File: 1490556030693.jpg (27KB, 441x463px) Image search: [Google]
1490556030693.jpg
27KB, 441x463px
>>75150905
Immersion method is working for me it seems. I can basically mimic with around a 1 second delay what i am listening to.

Doesn't sound good for me, i don't keep journals of my progress, rather i make progress with the time i'd use to make progress journal. However, i do keep notes in a file.

Memrise < Anki. It's subjective. I prefer Anki.
>>
>>75146471
>listening for 12+ hours a day
impressive devotion, anon
>>
>>75148911
Those popular Routledge Frequency Dictionaries usually claim that you need 5000 most common words to be able to decode 85%, but it depends on that language you learn, of course.
>>
>>75155039
Indeed. I'm sure if i put this much effort in learning say, Esperanto or Swedish rather than Jap i could get a lot further in a lot less time.

The reason i picked Jap in the first place is because they have the most (From what i could see) youtube presence outside of English, thus i can just let YouTubejp play all day long and listen.
>>
>>75155409
I understand your choice. Definitely try to pass JLPT, start with the easier one - JLPT5 (that new Japanese Duolingo course is supposed to cover all material for this initial level. This exam has many merits - it's very cheap (all Eastern Asian language certificates are cheap for some reason), it also allows you to measure your abilities, it may be required when you apply for some Japan related studies or job and also - if you pass - it gives some boost to your confidence.
>>
>>75146471

>12 hours a day

Wew, I would get burnt out
>>
>>75156752
Nah. JLPT doesn't mean squat imo. I know people that took the JLPT but cannot actually speak japanese.
>>
File: Shibuyan Tutkija.jpg (89KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
Shibuyan Tutkija.jpg
89KB, 533x800px
Go through a bunch of textbooks. The patterns from the books start appearing in everything you read in the target language. You think this shit can't be possibly used outside of textbooks but there it is.
>>
communicating with someone in the language is better than any of those. but its hard to find the places when it comes to non english languages.
>>
>have been surrounded by chicanos for almost three decades
>still too lazy to learn to properly communicate with them

How fucked am I?
>>
File: 1494991987877.png (245KB, 638x312px) Image search: [Google]
1494991987877.png
245KB, 638x312px
>>75158755
Start learning Chicanos nigro
>>
>>75146471
i just listen to music and watch movies in the language, and repeat words a lot. the "teach yourself" book series are also a great help
>>
A base of anki vocab, learning 3-5k words as soon as possible

If possible, some amount of intensive sentence length listening until the most common ~1k words are as ingrained in you as your native language

Then immersion while adding any nontrivial words to anki. Starting with stuff intended for learners is fine as long as it is all or almost all in the target language. Also choosing material with audio whenever possible, at least until the point where most audio is comprehensible and you need to read to get to more advanced vocabulary and grammar.
>>
>>75155039
That's kinda true but 85% comprehension isn't as useful as it sounds.

http://www.sinosplice.com/life/archives/2016/08/25/what-80-comprehension-feels-like

>>75157824
If they have N1 and aren't chinese they can probably speak at least decently
>>
>>75146471
Singing
>>
>>75146471
basically, anything that I can get my hands on. but I am having hard time finding out where to start, like what should the ratio be of learning grammar versus vocabulary etc
>>
why would you ever learn a second language lol
>>
>>75146581
Is this video actually good to watch for a review on the fundamentals? I'm in a data structures class and I'm kind of rusty on certain areas.
>>
>Memrise
>Revise words I know, learn a few more
>Revise a few more time throughout the day
>Talk with native speakers
>Read some grammar articles

That's it, been doing that for Finnish and I've been doing great progress. 2 weeks in and I can already understand and use a lot.
>>
>>75150905
>Memrise > Anki
No.
>>
>>75146629
>sadpanda in my target language

i always heard that non-english translations were always terrible
>>
>>75169854
ebin :DD but why finnish tho? to post in /mammi/ or ylilatua?
>>
>>75158197
>communicating with someone in the language is better than any of those
No it's not. Massive amounts of comprehensive input via reading is objectively the most efficiently way to acquire a language.
>>
>>75170037
Most of the English translations on exhentai are pretty terrible as well.
>>
>>75168494
to browse 4chan
>>
>>75170060

I am gonna spend the summer there so might as well, if I get a lot of practice before I go I'll get to improve massively during my stay.
>>
i can read somehow complicated French writings but cannot speak it for shit.
What should I do?
>>
>>75170225
practice speaking
same here
>>
Trips for remember a new alphabet!
>>
>>75170254
What kind of alphabet?
>>
>>75170350

Japanese.
>>
>>75170078
thats right. ive done it actually. but also you need to use it. otherwise you cant get your own cyclic tics and how to choice a proper expression in each situation.

to improve your skills you need to fix your shitty tics and find out another or a better choice and repeat it countless times. tho this story is about what to do when you are in an intermediate level.
>>
>>75171325
>choice
*choose

my bad and this shit is another reason that you need to actually use it. failing embarrasses you but really matters.
>>
ALE BUMP
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.