[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Northern Europeans have a better knowledge of English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: english language.jpg (82KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
english language.jpg
82KB, 620x387px
Why do Northern Europeans have a better knowledge of English than Southern Europeans, even though English is a Latin language like French and Spanish?
>>
>>75086416
Because spanish is spoken by 550 millions.

We neednt ur barbarian language
>>
>>75086416
English isn't a Latin language.
In fact, on the subject of this rather poor quality thread, there's a fringe theory going about lately that English descends from Old Norse rather than from Ingvaeonic, based on the conclusions from the OP (that Northerners have such an easy time learning it).
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121127094111.htm
>>
>>75086494
uhh I live in the USA. Why would I need your language?

And you're speaking English RIGHT NOW
>>
>>75086499
Have you heard how German or Dutch sounds?

It sounds nothing like English.
>>
>>75086494
>We neednt ur barbarian language
Very good post in English
>>
less material in the native language
>>
>>75086570
German also doesn't really sound all that much like Dutch, unless you're incredibly drunk.
>>
>>75086570
Well, ..

Have = heb
you = jou (je / jij)
heard = ge- hoord
how = hoe
German = Germaans (Duits)
or = of
it = 't (het)
thing = ding
like / as = als
English = Engels
>>
Because we're smart.
Like it or not, English is the world language.
>>
>>75086796
You is actually the formal form of you in English. So in Dutch:

you = u
>>
>>75086796
Instead of nothing (no thing) we say niets.
Which would be the plural of not in English. "nots"
>>
>>75086416
>even though English is a Latin language

just stop
>>
>>75086524
>Why would I need your language?
Millions of Americans already speak Spanish as their mother tongue.
>>
>>75086416
>english is a latin language

Just barely
>>
>>75086937
not = niet
nothing = niets (plural)
>>
>>75086416
ANECDOTAL BUT if theres on language that looks most similar to english to me(native) it's dutch
>>
>>75087163
ops caps*
>>
(I know you're trolling DISCLAIMER)

For someone with a Germanic mother tongue it looks really retarded when you claim English is a Latin language. Just saying.
>>
>>75086416
because northerners are ameriboos
they copy us in everything
of course they speak our language
>>
>>75086988
that's a tricky stat. chicanos' first language is english
>>
>>75087447
>admits he knows the OP is trolling
>still falls for it
of course english is latin. just saying
>>
>>75086499
>Old Norse

Norway was based back it the days https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OqdMc4vVPY
>>
>>75086796
like actually does exist in Dutch desu. Only we start it with ge-.

Ge - lijk = equal

Which is where the word like comes from.
>>
>>75086416
>even though English is a Latin language like French and Spanish

Every linguist ever disagrees, my friend.
>>
>>75086416
This has to be b8
>>
I thought the "English is a latin language" part was ironic

I think international languages tend to eliminate or greatly influence other languages closely related to them.

Semitic Aramaic eliminated Hebrew (Jews spoke Aramaic and only used Hebrew as a liturgical language), eliminated Punic/Phoenician, and it also eliminated Akkadian.

Later, Arab did the same.
But the people who spoke considerably different languages, like the Persians, didnt change their language to Aramaic or Arabic.

It may be thay English is doing to Dutch, German and Scandinavian languages, what Aramaic and Arabic did to the other semitic languages when they became lingua francas.

French didnt eliminate Spanish when it became the lingua Franca in the 1700s, but it did give us a lot of gallicisms.
>>
>>75086416
>even though English is a Latin language like French and Spanish?
lmao

no really the germanic languages, especially dutch imo, shares a lot of similarities with english.
>>
>>75086976
>>75087048
>>75086499

This.
>>
>>75087770
In other Germanic languages many words are used differently. As their usage evolved slightly differently.
And in English you often have a very strict word order, while you can vary a lot with the word order in other Germanic languages.
This confuses the anglos who try to understand it. Because it indeed sounds unfamiliar, because they would never use the words in the same fashion.
>>
>english is a latin language
latin is 30% of english only, of wich its mostly french words, and french evolved to not pronounce words the way they are written just like english
most "latin" romance languages are italian, spanish and portuguese, followed by french and romanian in that order

the french kept the gaellic pronunciation when they learnt latin in roman times, wich is why they pronounce things that way.

the english just willingly fucked up their sensical germanic pronuncation in favor of whats now modern english
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift
>>
>>75087946
Plus a lot of words that are latin or French in English also exist in Dutch and German.
Sometimes new words are invented and just get adopted by all languages.
>>
this is meme thread
>>
>>75087965
I was going to say this, the French loanwords we have are pretty much in use everywhere, there's a few common ones but most of that 30% pie Slice is technical jargon
>>
>>75087923
For example a basic sentence like this cannot be understood:

Ik wil dat hebben voor mijn verjaardag.
I will that having for mine foryearday.
>>
>>75087923
>>75088147
interesting, I didn't knew that.
Which I'm jealous of english though is the fact that for many words they get a free synonym from french
>>
>>75088147
birthday = ge-boortedag

Is just silly in Dutch. We don't celebrate our birth. We celebrate a year has passed.
>>
>>75088147
let me guess
"i want that for me once a year"
>>75088205
celebrating a year being alive seems more logical than celebrating a birth from many years ago imo
>>
>>75088205
>ge-boortedag
that sounds german. i forgot what it is like geburstag or something like that
>>
>>75088245
Yeah, "want" is "will" in Dutch.
And instead of "will" we say "shall".

I want to have that for my birthday. God wills it.
>>
>>75086416
It's funny because I can read a sentence in Spanish and completely understand it without a translation

I can't do the same with German
>>
>English is a Latin language
>>
>>75086416
English is Germanic with a bunch of French words thrown in
>>
>>75086416
>English is a Latin language
No, the ceasars are my ancestors, not yours.
>>
>>75087163
nothing wrong with an anecdote :)
>>
>>75089649
ok OURS, how is that
>>
File: NSFCaesar2byJeffFrazier.jpg (3MB, 2738x1825px) Image search: [Google]
NSFCaesar2byJeffFrazier.jpg
3MB, 2738x1825px
>>75089649
Hail Caesar
>>
File: 1465200373307.jpg (62KB, 530x516px) Image search: [Google]
1465200373307.jpg
62KB, 530x516px
>>75089649
*smacks lips*
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.