[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lang/ - Language and Linguistics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

File: asian scripts.png (313KB, 701x735px) Image search: [Google]
asian scripts.png
313KB, 701x735px
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>>>/t/746368
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe
>>
File: image.png (111KB, 292x385px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
111KB, 292x385px
How do you say 'TWO SCOOPS' in your native language?
>>
Help I am learning Finnish
>>
>>75007990
duas colheres
>>
>tfw too lazy to learn another language

the curse of the anglosphere is a heavy burden to bear
>>
>>75008136
What kind of help do you need? Why are you learning it?
>>
File: to smart.jpg (54KB, 680x598px) Image search: [Google]
to smart.jpg
54KB, 680x598px
>>75008255
>too lazy
more like to smart two learn another language

monolingual masterrace
>>
>>75008272
I'm not that guy but have you ever known anyone who wasn't a native speaker that could speak decent Finnish?
>>
>>75008272
I am learning it for fun and because I would like to travel to Finnland, I'm a coffee roaster and could see myself trying it out there for a little while at least if the government would have me.

Is /mämmi/ a good place to ask questions? I don't want to be a nuisance and I'm usually shy about making mistakes.
>>
File: 1461797186765.jpg (34KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
1461797186765.jpg
34KB, 500x598px
>tfw want to learn Estonian and have a decent grasp of the grammar, but can never bring myself to actually invest the time and the effort to learn vocab along with the billions of inflections and then verb conjugation
>>
>>75008357
Young foreigners who live here (Russians and Estonians) are able to speak fine Finnish after some time.

>>75008405
There you can at least direct the question to Finnish speakers. It is full of shit posters so some of the answers can be very low quality.

In my honest opinion asking questions about our language and/or culture is completely fine. Someone might get triggered if a foreigner asks something but whatever.
>>
>>75008492
its all in the practice. what may seem impossible to you now, you may laugh at, say, ten weeks from now if you were to start practicing hard. it reminds me of running, i used to think id never be able to run 5k without dying, now 5k seems like a fucking joke to me at my level.

its all in the practice.
>>
Catalan speakers, how is your ser/estar split different from Spanish (or Portuguese for that matter, I speak PT but not Spanish)?

It seems a little difference since I saw an example where someone said "sóc a Barcelona" instead of "estic a Barcelona"
>>
>>75008405
You can use certain apps like HelloTalk and italki to practice your written form and the like.
There's also an /int/ lang learning channel on Telegram that some autists made some time ago, where a certain part is learning Finnish (with one native).
>>
>>75012380
https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAED3UIDNQ_5e6w5-Wg Here's the link.
>>
who china here
>>
>>75008492

Just do it m8.

I've been learning Fingolian for literally only 2 weeks and I can make somewhat complex sentences.

Cases seem daunting at first but they're really easy when your brain realizes you just add words like "in" and "on" at the end of the word instead of having it being its own thing.
>>
>>75013205
hello
>>
File: 1495119645495.jpg (129KB, 511x496px) Image search: [Google]
1495119645495.jpg
129KB, 511x496px
>>75007990

dvije kugle
>>
>>75007990
bogaty fortepian.
>>
>>75014676
>put into google translate
>comes out as 'rich piano'
Wtf did jewgle translate mean by this?
>>
I'm learning Italian, recently finish the Duolingo tree
>>
>>75015456
Good work anon! Is it all coming along easy for you? Keep us posted.
>>
>>75012380
What do you guys post about on that group?Is it like here?
>>
>>75015570
Yeah, I think the next step should be learning all the verbs but I'm not sure how to do that
>>
>>75015734
Anki, Clozemaster, Memrise (i hate the new look personally). Take your pick
>>
>>75015775
I've used Memrise but I don't think it helps much, I'm checking Clozemaster, seems fun
>>
File: 1481290706409.jpg (9KB, 187x250px) Image search: [Google]
1481290706409.jpg
9KB, 187x250px
Has anyone here tried to learn a LOT of languages?
I mean, like those polyglots who speak 10+ languages, or those who go around the street hitting up on foreigners and starting up conversations, because they speak several dialects and shit.

I highly doubt those people are actually competent in more than 5 or 6 of those languages, but I do think it could be quite fun to learn a bit of several languages for the purpose of better grasping how different languages approach different things.

I am actively studying Japanese and French daily.

And I wanted to learn some basic Chinese, for instance, to understand how tones work, but I don't want it to get in the way of my actual learning of Japanese and French. Is it possible to study "casually" just so you can pidgin a few sentences should you meet a native?

>>74976290
>How have you been studying Japanese? A mix of grammar and kanji cramming?
>I'm currently struggling with what to focus on.
Come to >>>/int/djt , we have a very vast collection of tutorials and resources.

>>74980707
>Most are fucking fake, like Benny fluent in 3 months
I know, I acknowledged their language skills are not that good, but they definitely manage to get a few messages across.
>>
File: 1494787301612.png (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494787301612.png
51KB, 500x500px
>trying to teach myself french
>first language I'm learning
>getting decent, starting to understand the jist of what people are saying while listening to the radio
>walking downtown one day
>overhear a couple of girls speaking french
>sweet a real life encounter
>something is off
>can't understand shit
>realised they may have had a quebecois accent
>>
>>75016129
Eh, mon français n'est pas si avancé mais je peux comprendre presque également les québecois; il y a des quelques mots differents et certains d'eux ont les R anglaises, mais géneralement le rythme est plutôt pareil, plus même que l'anglais britanique contre le américain, je pense.
Voici, essaye d'écouter ce video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTRtzlGmqg4
>>
>>75016332
Cette vidéo n'est pas si dure, en fait. Quand même, les filles que j'ai ecouté parlent trop vite pour moi.
>>
>>75007990
Twee schepjes
>>
>>75007913
> esperanto and icelandic, used to learn german but gave up because country went shit and i don't ever want to cross its border anymore. also began to learn estonian, know a few basic phrases and words

also for me duolingo is shit.
>>
>>75008492
is your native lang English? I'm just curious if it really is that hard for english speakers to get the concept of cases
>>
>>75007990
double
cunt
>>
>>75017273
The cases aren't too hard to understand, but they're pretty hard to put into practice, at least for me.
>t. Tried and failed to learn Russian
>>
>>75017273
Yes, I found it fairly hard with french at first, even now I still screw up mainly around cases with reflexives.

Is it hard learning English with it's pesky 's' at the end of some words? I find it's the main mistake foreigners make.

Also what's the cases like in Russian? I've heard there's some funky grammar in it and I'm wanting to learn it after French.
>>
Anyone else here learning Norwegian
>>
>>75016129
>quebecois
Nothing of value was lost my friend
>>
>>75007990
due cucchiai
>>
>>75017273
I understand cases but trying to put together the plurality, gender, voice, indirect/direct objectivity etc. at a given moment is horrifying
>>
Dutch is going to end up on my list of learning-but-neglecting languages real quick here.
>>
>>75007990
שני כדורים
>>
File: 1494349714271.jpg (49KB, 587x798px) Image search: [Google]
1494349714271.jpg
49KB, 587x798px
>>75007913
Learning German, stuck in the point where you get the grammar structure but lack vocabulary and have to search every other word.
Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>75015657
Join, there's only like 3 people
>>
>>75028308
It comes along as you go along. Just make sure to use your dictionary and to absorb new words through music, movies, and television and youre goodz
>>
>>75026862
dont give up anon

just chuck a browneye to your doubts and press on

the rewards are greater than the consequences
>>
>>75032168
What language(s) are you learning?
>>
>>75007990

Dos nenitas desnuditas
>>
>>75032500
what languages are YOU learning?
>>
>>75035521
Just one, Swedish.
>>
I'm currently trying to finish my nihongo but I seem to be getting nowhere. If I forced myself to do an entire core 6000 would I be able to understand most things? How did you guys study and when did you start understanding complete sentences?
>>75036019
Hur har det gått en så länge?
>>
>>75036019
you will destroy many swedish women with your big turkish cock, after you show off your skills my friend.
>>
I've been learning German for years. I can't speak worth a shit but I can read and listen ok. I'm trying to read Spengler and keep having to look up a lot of words though.

I just started French a few days ago.
>>
>>75036491
I bet you French seems way more easier than German, doesnt it? only two genders is one of the bigger things that makes it so much simpler.
>>
>>75016332
CUTE!
>>
>>75020413
What the fuck is Recep İvedik and Kafalar?
>>
>>75007913
>Language and Linguistics
that's the same thing
>>
>>75041085
shhhh.
>>
>>75021625
i started 2 weeks ago i just make duolingo and sometimes read norgetraden and translate this into english
>>
Learning Russian feels exhausting

But I like it
>>
>>75043224
Don't forget to add Learning after Language next time, m'kay?
>>
Arabic, yay or nay?
>>
>>75010822

In Spanish "ser" is used for "being" (something permanent).

In Catalan you use ésser for that, but for location too. Estar in Catalan would be used, for example, for short term temporary emotional states, or things like (being sick) (estar malalt)

That would be a quick rundown.
>>
>>75044208
You should learn how to write it first
>>
>>75044101
this is my first time making the general ok stop bullying me
>>
I have a question for anyone that speaks Spanish here. When using object pronouns, where do I place them? Like, I were to say "Tengo que preguntar", where would I put "lo" in to make me say "I have to ask it"? Gracias.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 640x419px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 640x419px
What is the best way to get started learning Italian I don't want to waste any time with dead ends. Are there any programs that worked for fluent Italian speakers? How much time do I need to dedicate in order to become fluent? When becoming fluent what ways have anima found to better assimilate their pronunciation to sound closer to a native speaker?

T. Thinking of getting Italian citizenship
>>
>>75041085
>that's the same thing
Yeah, just like "animals" and "hunting" are the same. Leaf teaching of the day.
>>
love these threads
I want to learn russian but it's so nuts

>>75008492
QC oled sina? või mingi 'eestiboo'?
>>
>>75045709
That's a false analogy.
A good one would be "animals" and "zoology"
>>
It is my intention to learn Finnish, French and Japanese to a degree of comfortable enjoyment of poetry, and in that order.

Wish me luck!
>>
>>75049115
So, how many zoologies have you kept as pets so far?
>>
>>75049970
When can't I call a course about languages, linguistics?
>>
>>75050267
That's not how you employ a comma.

As for your question, learning a language has nothing to do with learning "about languages", it's all about getting your message across. You can do it without ever knowing what's a direct object or a nested clause. Sound articulation terminology? Fat chance.

Linguistics is a meta field, a scientific analysis of how languages (in general) work.
EVEN in the case that you were right, and linguistics somehow meant "learning languages", your post would still be wrong because OP says "Language and Linguistics", not "Language Learning and Linguistics".
>>
>>75050658
That was the subject of the last thread,m8
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb3SaTv4clM&list=PLmW2c96zoqm7hwCCx2CeYF9zgXbJXd9Wv
>>
>>75045541
Learn Spanish
>>
>>75045541
learn greek
>>
>>75020725
Russian grammar is a nightmare.
6 cases, 3 genders, 6 forms of every verb depending on person
>>
>>75017273
I think I can understand cases in Russian. This doesn't mean I use them right all the time, but I get the idea. The thing that I really don't understand is prefixes to verbs. How the fuck do you decide which one to use?
>>
>>75045541
Learn ASL.
>>
>>75045541
spotted the monolingual. there's no dead ends, there's only efficient and inefficient learning. go and try things, see what works best for you.
>>
>>75007990
kaksi kauhallista
>>
>>75045541
as an Italian I don't know, but reading helps a lot
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.