[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thank India

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Chaturanga-960x675.jpg (104KB, 960x675px) Image search: [Google]
Chaturanga-960x675.jpg
104KB, 960x675px
Thanks you India for inventing Chess and Shōgi.

We love you
>>
>>74900675
<3
>>
also thank you for Rudyard Kipling.
>>
>>74902937
>Rudyard Kipling
jungle book's all fine, but he was a topnotch racist.

" Take up the White Man’s burden—

Send forth the best ye breed—

Go bind your sons to exile

To serve your captives’ need;

To wait in heavy harness,

On fluttered folk and wild—

Your new-caught, sullen peoples,

Half-devil and half child."

~ Kipling
>>
>>74903004
oh jungle book is okay, but i like kipling for Kim and If-

also he had some weird views, im pretty sure he was pro independence later in life as well.
>>
>>74903094
>Kim
haven't read it... but heard well about it.
>>
The Indian Defenses were named after Moheschunder Bannerjee, who visited England in the mid-1800s and played a few of the top players of the day. He was used to the Indian variants of chess which did not allow pawns to move two squares from their starting position, so tended to open like this despite playing the Western rule set.
>>
>>74903243
there were minor terminological differences in indian and western ones as well..

Indian pieces western pieces
King king
Minister queen
Elephant bishop
Horse knight
Chariot rook
Infantry pawn
>>
>>74900675
Learn something new everyday.

Thanks you India for Bollywood
>>
>>74903243
Plus Indian chess allowed the king to make a knight L-jump once per game, but you can't use it to escape from check.
>>
>>74903284
didnt older indian chess also have another row and another complete piece?

also no Mad queen, the queen moved like the modern king does.
>>
>>74903358
i don't know.. I have always known the the board to be of 8x8 dimension with 2 rows of pieces for each players.

BTW, the minister/queen is even madder as he/she can play knight/horse's 'L' movement as well.
>>
File: all-set-courier-chess.jpg (31KB, 550x218px) Image search: [Google]
all-set-courier-chess.jpg
31KB, 550x218px
>>74903399
never-mind, ends up it was german

chess is always so fascinating, all the different forms.
>>
>>74903358
>also no Mad queen, the queen moved like the modern king does

This was something like Western chess before the modern rule set appeared in the 15th century. Queens, bishops, and rooks could move only one square and pawns only one from their starting position. Since this caused games to drag on literally forever, the rules were changed to allow the pieces greater movement. By the 1470s-1480s, the rules of chess had more-or-less reached their modern form except for pawn promotion, the rules of which were not standardized until the mid-19th century and often varied in different countries.

Depending on the region, a pawn could only promote to the piece whose file it was on, or the piece corresponding to the file it started on. Sometimes the player was allowed to skip promotion entirely and simply leave the pawn as an immovable obstacle on the back rank. In some variants, the pawn was simply removed from the board and promotion could not take place until a piece was captured, whereby the pawn promotion replaced it (this was to ensure for example that the player could not have multiple queens).
>>
Evidently ancient Indians were the first physicians to develop plastic surgery techniques for reconstructing the nose. Pretty neat

Anyway India you have too many ethnic groups to remember so you should do something about that
>>
>>74903572
>ethnic groups
we may have multiple ethnic group but all of them are part of the same cultural corpus.

those who associate themselves with sandnigger tendencies can >>/out/
>>
>>74903595
It blows my mind that there are Zoroastrians and Christians in India. The only thing that could be crazier than that is if there were Indian Jews somewhere.
>>
>>74903626
>Indian Jews somewhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochin_Jews

there you go.
>>
>>74903626
>Christians
BTW, we had Xtians even before Constantinople went full-on durka.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Thomas_Christians
>>
>>74903645
Haha holy shit what the fuck man
>>
>>74903681
there's a legend that one of the lost 12 tribes of Israel came to India.. but who knows.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2253450/Indian-villagers-claim-Lost-tribe-Israel-return-Jewish-homeland-year-legal-fight.html
>>
Damn, all these thirsty Indians/Pakis... looking to lure dem JP whores (the sloppy thirds kinds). Sorry, poos, American/Canadian men TOP TIER.
>>
I wonder what India's relations with China were like in ancient times. I could probably look that up but I won't because I'm a lazy burger :-DDD
>>
>>74903572
India isn't a real country
We just took a bunch of nations (like Europe) and forced them into a blob
>>
>>74903669
>>74903645
>>74903626
Lads my gf says she is from a tribe called the "Jews of India" she isn't Indian but there family has a history of trading and banking
Can't remember the name any clue?
>>
>>74903964
marwari (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marwari_people) ?
>>
>>74903975
Nah there are very few of them these guys look like they are populous
>>
>>74904000
Zoroastrians/Parsis ?
>>
>>74903004
Rudyard Kipling also believed that what General Dyer did was right and he also donated money for the fund which was raised for Dyre when he was forced to resign from Army.
>>
>>74904000
Mizo jews
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bnei_Menashe
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.