[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spanish or French-- that is the question!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

For the literary sake, which is more advisable to learn and why?
>>
>>74860593

French
>>
for you, French
>>
Spanish, third most spoken language in the world and literaturely everything gets translated into Spanish
>>
>>74860593
Spanish no questions asked. Nothing of relevance has been produced in french since the first half of the 19th century, and it's all translated anyway
>>
File: 1448016153705.jpg (147KB, 590x700px) Image search: [Google]
1448016153705.jpg
147KB, 590x700px
french
>>
>>74860665
What a heap of twaddle! Translation sucks no matter which language into.
>>
>>74860593

France has the best literature of any European country. Literature in English may be better, but only if you add American writers to it. (and obviously the Irish who wrote in English like Joyce)

Spain had great literature until the late 1600s (during the renaissance and barroque periods) but the 1700s and 1800s were shit for Spanish literature, while France was doing great with all the philosophers of the illustration in the 1700s, and great novelists and poets in the 1800s like Baudelaire, Verlaine, Mallarme, Dumas, Victor Hugo, Flaubert etc.

Spanish literature recovered in the late 1800s and 1900s, largely thanks to Latin America.

France doesnt have a Dante, Cervantes or Shakespeare because it has too many great writers to choose from.

As of now, since the last decades of the XXth century, literature in Spanish may be better, because of writers of the Latin American boom, and a few more recent like the deceased Bolaño.

Also, French is more important in Europe, the place where you live. You may want to study French for that.
The importance of French as an international language depends largely on Africa.
>>
>>74860700
You kidding?
>>
>>74860811
Si lo dices tu, que eres traductor, quién va a venir a negarlo.
>>
Choose whatever language you want
>>
File: image_33.jpg (2MB, 1820x4348px) Image search: [Google]
image_33.jpg
2MB, 1820x4348px
>>74860593
Learn whichever language you're most interested in.

Trust me, a guy who has had this dilemma many times before, when I say that you will make far more progress in a language that you're actually interested in, than one you're learning solely for academic purposes. Along the way, when you're knee-deep in learning a language that you're not really that interested in, your initial reasoning for learning it will branch out and start to morph into reasons that will eventually result in your quitting. This has happened to me with Italian and German, both of which I started in hopes of being able to read their respective literature, just as you with Spanish and French.

However, in terms of literary reach, I personally believe that French has had more literary masterpieces than Spanish. It's truly a subjective matter, so it really depends on what exactly you consider a masterpiece, and your choice of literature.

This is more so a question for /lit/, I must admit. Ask this there, and you'll find that you get more varied and in-depth replies. They'll most likely tell you to take the plunge and learn French, however. Many books in their top-100 lists are by French authors, so take that as you will.
>>
>>74860593
>Spanish or French
Spanish definetly
way more speakers and it's considerably easier to learn
also French sounds kinda gay unless you're a female
>>
>>74860593
By learning French you'll improve your general understanding of English by a ton. Worth considering if you're going into the field.
>>
Spanish is more relevant and spoken by cute women.
>>
>>74860593
Learn Spanish, it is far more useful than French
>>
>>74860593
if you wan an useful languague i'll say go for spanish unless you plan to come here. If it's for aesthetic purpose and cultur go for french. In the end you can learn both since they are close.

At your place i'll proprabily learn spanish
>>
>>74860593
French if you want to learn the French "Classics" and travel to Africa
Spanish if you want to travel to America
>>
Learn French so you can go to Algeria and get yourself a loyal ethnic qt.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.