[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help with Swedish/Jag behöver hjälp med Svenska

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: svenska.png (52KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
svenska.png
52KB, 400x400px
Background: three years of French in high school, fluent only in English

So. I started learning Swedish on Duolingo last week. I picked up Swedish because it sounded cool and because I wanted to learn a new language. Also, Sabaton is my favorite band. So far I've completed the first part of the tree. It makes some sense, but I'm having trouble with certain things and I'd like native speakers to explain it to me in the simplest terms possible.

My issues surround word endings and pronouns. I can't seem to figure out which ending to use when, and it seems like there are two or three different pronouns for the same word. From an English perspective, could somebody please explain this to me?

Tack!
>>
File: 1478898777001.jpg (63KB, 604x550px) Image search: [Google]
1478898777001.jpg
63KB, 604x550px
Кoт
>>
https://www.duolingo.com/course/da/en/Learn-Danish-Online
>>
>>74818362
cat?
>>74818363
thanks but not really what I'm looking for
>>
>>74818391
nevermind, I forgot katt is cat. I l
>>
File: Hippius_Estonian-Girl.jpg (80KB, 504x640px) Image search: [Google]
Hippius_Estonian-Girl.jpg
80KB, 504x640px
What
>>
>>74818363
>>74818391
Danish and Swedish are pretty much the same, just speak the Danish you learn without a potato in your mouth.
>>
>>74818483
Background: three years of French in high school, fluent only in English

So. I started learning Swedish on Duolingo last week. I picked up Swedish because it sounded cool and because I wanted to learn a new language. Also, Sabaton is my favorite band. So far I've completed the first part of the tree. It makes some sense, but I'm having trouble with certain things and I'd like native speakers to explain it to me in the simplest terms possible.

My issues surround word endings and pronouns. I can't seem to figure out which ending to use when, and it seems like there are two or three different pronouns for the same word. From an English perspective, could somebody please explain this to me?

Tack!
>>74818596
can i just skip the danish?
>>
>>74818706
T.bh the Nordic languages are easy for English speakers because of the very similar grammar structure and words.
http://www.pagef30.com/2008/08/why-norwegian-is-easiest-language-for.html
>>
>>74818706
you mean like -et/-en?
i'm a native speaker of swedish, and as far as i know there's no specific pattern, you'll just have to learn by heart
>>
>>74818885
I looked it up and if you use ett or en as the "a" you add et or en to the end of the noun respectively, but no there's no way to tell which one it is in the first place

examples:
ett apple- applet
en hund- hunden

also all the animals are en and en is far more common
>>
>>74819010
Not op

So....
ett apple = An apple
applet = The apple
???
>>
>>74819113
correct
>>
>>74819168
Tack!
Cool. I like how that functions grammatically.
>>
>>74819234
It's usually something that trips up new people learning the language, so sentences end up looking really odd. Like "Hundet behöver gå ut och gå" When it should be "Hunden behöver gå ut och gå"

"The dog needs a walk outside"
>>
>>74819292
Like OP said earlier
>also all the animals are en and en is far more common
All animals take -en

No so difficult.
>>
it's easy
take the word "wander"

vandra - to wander
vandring - the act of wandering
vandrat - has wandered, "have you been out wandering?"
vandrade - has wandered "were you wandering"
vandras - wandering currently "vandras det?"
vandrandes - have wandered "he came wandering"
>>
>>74819113
ett äpple - an apple
äpplet = the apple
äpplena = the apples
äpplen =apples
>>
No offensive, but do you not have any foreign language experience? This stuff is elementary in any other Germanic language.
>>
oh man word endings suck in other languages. like in latin and german (and swedish). makes me appreciate english more
>>
>>74819010
>>74819367
ett får
ett lejon
ett svin
ett bi
Even: ett djur
>>
>>74819984
Yeah because English is super logical, right? You just think it makes sense because you grew up with it, dummy. :~)
>>
>>74819984
English is the greatest language ever, and i say that unironically. It's pretty simple to learn and isn't unnecessarily complicated unlike other languages.

It's easy to convey very complex ideas unlike in swedish or germans where it takes a shit ton off effort to say the simplest thing.

The fact that it has so many words help too.
>>
>>74820035
euros will tell you that it makes english easier to learn. get some exposure bud
>>
>>74820035
there you go >>74820045
>>
>>74820055
>>74820074
I am Swedish myself. English is a mess of a language, but because of this mess people mistakenly believe that it's "easy" or such.
>>
>>74820045

Engelska är ett dåligt språk som saknar många bra ord som t.ex. rike.
>>
iagh behofver hielp meþ suenska.
iagh hauer ener gamal bok fran 1200-talet at læra mik meþ oc þeþ gar ikke sva bra
>>
>>74821943
>rike
kingdom
>>
>>74822047
Nej
>>
>>74821943
> rike
dåligt exempel favä
>>
>>74819850
vandras - being wandered/is wandered
vandrandes - in a wandering manner, not "have wandered"

Nice that you want to help, but be more accurate.

>>74821943
>Engelska är ett dåligt språk som saknar många bra ord
Tycker att det är faktiskt det omvända. Det händer när jag talar slovakiska, att jag känner till ett engelskt ord som betyder exakt det jag vill säga, men det enda sätt att överföra densamma meningen i slovakiska är att använda ett uttryck som består av flera ord. Har du aldrig upplevt något liknande (dvs. såvida du kan engelska mycket bra)? Engelskt ordförråd är sjukt enormt helt enkelt.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.