[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Importance of Accent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Why is accent so important in other languages? In English, or perhaps just in America, if someone is speaking English with a Russian accent, we just think he's russian and knows English. But while learning languages, they stress the important of getting the accent right a lot. And in movies, if an American is speaking Russian, someone might say "Your accent is shit!" And I think it's hilarious because they say it with a heavy russian accent.
>>
>>74550460
Seriously?
Accent is way more important to Anglos. Brits and the Irish especially. It's like their whole identity, they can't function unless they know where you're from because that dictates what they should think about you and how they should treat you, and as we all know Anglos are incapable of independent thought.

In Finland most people would just go 'oh, he's not from here' and either switch to English or talk slower. In France most people will correct you but it's not done out of resentment, it's just their hamfisted way of helping you learn.

Don't know what you've been smoking.
>>
>>74550460
They don't speak a lingua franca as a native language for a reason.
>>
Accent is also important in English, accent isn't important in America because you're an accepting society.
Brits will judge you based on accent.
>>
I have never met a native English speaker who has even bothered to delve into other languages.
>>
>>74550903
>>74550955
>>74551045
>>74551084
He meant on linguistic terms, for example like tonal languages. Mess up accent, other word
>>
>>74551045
>as if americans don't reject desert accents, basketball american accents, and occasionally asian accents
>>
>>74551151
Qué?
>man door hand hook car door
>>
File: KamoshidaVolleyball.gif (814KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
KamoshidaVolleyball.gif
814KB, 480x270px
>>74551045
>accent isn't important in America because you're an accepting society.

Fuck no.
>>
>>74551151
I thought that at first but no
>It's like (((the anglo's and celts/galics))) whole identity, they can't function unless they know where you're from because that dictates what they should think about you and how they should treat you,
>>
>>74550955
More or less this.
English being the lingua franca means that you've been listening to all kinds of silly/weird accents all your lifes. As a result, you end up being way more lenient with accents. I've heard people saying that thick accents aren't a problem as long as they are comprehensible
The rest of the world does not have this luxury
>>
>>74550460
I think it's more like "our allies and people we like sound like this, our enemies and people we don't like sound like that". Depending on which propoganda you consume, it can be a good or a bad thing
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.