[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living in mainland China

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Is it really that bad? How are major cities in particular? Small towns? Are there any redeeming qualities to living there?
>>
>>74472608
Diaspora here. No, it sucks stay here.
>>
>>74472608
>ywn be a sketchy african businessman in guangzhou

Feels bad man
>>
everything looks great but works like shit. had a fancy bathroom like this yet when i turned on the shower there would come seaweed out of the showerhead. also the walls in the elevator were basically wood panels with duct tape
>>
>>74472633
What are some things about it that you don't like?
>>74472644
what sort of business are you involved in, my friend
>>74472725
now that really sucks. i hope they didn't charge you too much for that room
>>
>>74473619
I visited my father's side of the family, which was the city of Xuzhou, and my mother's side which was some peasantry, so I can give you both sides.

The city (my mother's side) is polluted and filthy. It would probably be difficult for a white (assuming you are, if you're black even worse) to interact with people. Smog wasn't actually noticeable for me, but the little kids shitting on the streets makes up for it. Also if I opened my windows, within a day there would be a layer of dust on it...

The countryside resembles those dusty African towns, only in an Asian setting. Pretty poor.

I visited Shanghai and Beijing too. Smog was noticeably worse. It's just a worse version of NYC imo.

Also everywhere in China is crowded as fuck. I remember when I was a kid, my mom pushed her way through a crowd around an ice cream stand to get one for me, and her hand was cut and bleeding when she got out lol. America just feels nice and spacious.

Anyway, if you have specific questions you can ask
>>
Be prepared to fucking hate your life.

Pollution and filth will be part of your daily life. You will most likely step into human excrement at least once. Your Internet will be completely censored and every Skype call you make will be monitored.

Beyond the areas meant to be seen by foreigners, there will be unimaginable poverty and suffering.

The Chinese are rude, arrogant, and completely devoid of empathy and compassion.

They only care about money and face. Creativity is not valued.

Finally, especially if you're actually going to Beijing, you will lose at least a month of your life due to the unfathomable pollution.

Haha

Sucker!!!
>>
>>74473943
this, people would just whisper racial slurs behind your back all the time bc they think you can't speak chinese, I regret coming here already
>>
>>74472608
>Small towns?
Pablo, do you have any idea just how many people live in China? They have cities in the middle of nowhere with millions of people.
>>
>>74476458
Most foreigners can never quite master Mandarin unless they're some superhuman freak like Sidney Rittenberg (how the fuck is that old commie bastard still alive?)
>>
File: 18sino-brother-tmagArticle.jpg (65KB, 592x443px) Image search: [Google]
18sino-brother-tmagArticle.jpg
65KB, 592x443px
>>74472608
I lived in China on and off for work (QC for an import/export company). I talked to a lot of expats, and visited my college roommate who was an ESL teacher for 3 years.

>Is it really that bad?
It's not so bad. Chinese people often treat strangers (not just foreigners) like garbage, but if they know you, or if they think there is a chance of seeing you a second time, they will be friendly to anyone who isn't hierarchically below them (this usually includes you).

>How are major cities in particular?
the financial district will be pretty nice in most tier 1 cities. other areas vary dramatically. public parks are amazing in most cities.

>Small towns?
no such thing, unless you're talking about a rural farming village, which are depressing places without normal amenities.

>Are there any redeeming qualities to living there?
it seems like most ex-pats enjoy being a visitor for about 1-2 years max. After that, many start to hate china. they stop trying to learn the language, many become alcoholics, stop venturing too far outside the ex-pat community, constantly complain, stop making Chinese fiends, etc. The only way to prevent this seems to be to marry a Chinese woman before the 2 year deadline, after which how much you enjoy China depends a lot on the quality of the woman you married.
>>
File: 1493717576246.png (381KB, 740x1009px) Image search: [Google]
1493717576246.png
381KB, 740x1009px
>>74472608
>>74472633
>>74472644
>>74473619
>>74473761
there is nothing in china you would want

gb2 murrica trust me
>>
https://www.scribd.com/doc/273231452/Flying-Upside-Down-pdf
>>
lived there for two years for work and it fucking sucked
>>
>>74472608
There are very nice parts of China to live in.

>>74472633
t. Cletus
>>
Underrated thread

I've heard good things about Xiamen but I've also heard there's a lot of trash. I've heard good things about Qingdao but I've also heard it's polluted too. I'd like to visit China some day but I'm not sure where. Might be fun to see the big Guan Yu statue and then head south from there to some touristy areas in Hunan.
>>
>>74478387
Brave! I worked there for 6 months and it was 'not great', I've been to lots of places though that fucking sucked

Wouldn't go back there again though, for the experience it was kind of interesting to see how they can take thousands of years of culture, innovation, artistic talent- and then throw it in the trash. Communism is scary shit, then they're going through that whole post-commie, new-capitalist phase which has dicked over most of the population, who by and large have no idea how hard, deep and long they're going to be fucked.
>>
>>74472608
Depends on where you go

But it's a completely different culture and you will struggle to feel even remotely like part of the country, especially since China's political tradition that currently exists (and has since the imperial system) is all about the Emperor (or the highest levels of the CCP now) keeping balance against the elites; the average person maters far less - you'd feel more empowered if you were acitizen in any democratic and especially Western European country
>>
你们都会说汉语吗?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.