[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which language is most likely to land one a job, besides English?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: languages.jpg (13KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
languages.jpg
13KB, 225x224px
Which language is most likely to land one a job, besides English?
>>
A learned language? None. Languages alone have a pretty shitty ROI if you consider the time spent and only (sometimes greatly, though) compliment another skill that you have developed.

All the jobs that require languages directly require (near-)native mastery in several languages and are competitive as heck, especially in immigrant countries like the US where you have a big pool of 2nd generation multilinguals to draw from who have learned several languages from birth from their immigrant parents.
>>
>>74396975
thanks, this is a good reply
>>
>>74397010
Some examples:

You want to consider to become a translator? You better be fluent in at least 3 languages and are content with translating manuals and medical papers all day.

You want to work as an language officer for an intelligence service? You better speak some rare as shit conflict language like Northern Kurdish and Persian that you have learned from your parents.

You are persuing a diplomatic career? Learning a UN language might not be a bad idea.

You are working as an emergency doctor or EMT that works in the southern US. Well, Spanish might be for you, since you might encounter a lot of patients that speak Spanish only.
>>
>>74397088
there are translating nurses so a full time so spanish requirement for a doctor is not needed, plus they have their own health care providers to skip the whole problem
>>
Another example, I have a friend whose Mormon father used to do missionary work in Japan and he studied IT afterwards and now he has some cool job which sends to Japan by some big IT company because he is 'that guy' who speaks Japanese.

I'm not trying to discourage you from studying a language or saying that it is useless.

I'm just telling you that it's a skill that is hard to monetize on its own and it depends on a lot of other circumstances.

>>74397123
I see, I just heard that in these circumstance of emergency it might be better to be able to communicate with patients directly from somewhere.

Language learning itself is very rewarding you can discover a whole new world and can make you communicate with a new type of people but unfortunately people have this immediate expectation of it being supposed to bring a lot of monetary gain due to the time you have to invest to master it and the associated work.

The funny thing this logic is often not applied to other hobbies the same way. I mean people are ok with others investing a lot of time in playing musical instruments, drawing, skateboarding or knitting, video games or whatever, just for enjoyment.
>>
In general, just talking statistically, simple economical considerations like this rarely motivate people to master a language (except under extreme pressure).

An inner motivation, like an affinity for the/some people or its associated culture, linguistic and intellectual curiosity, etc. will result in more people becoming fluent in the end.

So start studying a language that falls into the second category or try to develop it along the way if you are only doing it because of the former because it is very likely that you won't succeed if only the first type or reasons apply to you(assuming you don't have iron discpline and habit formation skills).
>>
none, languages are a meme and not useful, any decent paying job uses english as their workplace language, including the businesses in germany and netherlands (where i worked)
>>
>>74396815
It depends on the field. For STEM, german and japanese are great. Spanish can get you into a plenty of countries, but no spanish speaking country can even compare to countries such as America and Germany.

Foreign trade and diplomacy are usually handled in english, and english is the native language of 3 out of the G7 countries.

So basically, german, japanese and spanish are the best options, but unless you really would like to learn a new language or you are really willing to migrate to a non-english speaking country, it's not worth to learn something else.
>>
Hebrew and Yiddish'
>>
File: 1492498434019.png (109KB, 739x697px) Image search: [Google]
1492498434019.png
109KB, 739x697px
>>74396815
C
>>
>>74396815
php
>>
File: 1493843561094.jpg (302KB, 1560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1493843561094.jpg
302KB, 1560x2048px
>>74398469
-is a meme
Just learn how to do pic related and you'll be fine
>>
>>74397965
A lot of international and multinational organisations are located in French speaking places Geneva/Paris/Brussels/Strasbourg.

So if you plan to go into that French might also be a good choice.
>>
>>74396975
I'm on of the multilinguals. Trilingual and I've never had to try for it. It's gotten me more places than any other skill I have. Which really isn't much, but language is huge when you're a native speaker.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.