[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We are lucky English is the international language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I want to learn another language, and one thing I find very attractive is the ability to communicate ideas using very few words and/or syllables and/or characters.
I have always noticed Spanish translations of English books have considerably more pages than the English original, and the opposite also applies to English translations of books in Spanish like 100 years of Solitude (in English the book is thinner with less pages).
So I compared the amount of characters in the first 18 articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (without spaces), for every language that could be useful to me in any way and English had a very good ranking (it would probably be the best one if English had phonetic spelling)

Latin 3107

Aymara 3125

Esperanto 3210

Dutch 3232

Afrikaans 3455

english 3467 (if English had phonetic spelling like simpel-fonetik-method of writing it would be in the 2600s, almost 25% more efficient, words like "thought" would have 3 characters instead of 7)

Portugues 3661

Guarani 3692

Español 3761

Francois 3788 (gets 5 extra characters for having premier instead of 1 in the first article)

Interlingua 3834

Greek 4026

Italian 4036

Deutsch 4111

Russian 4120

Quechua 5502

-Since I already know English, I think Ill study Latin.

-I am very surprised by Afrikaans needing more characters than Dutch even though Afrikaans is simplified Dutch (I double checked that one)

-French also has a very inefficient spelling system, I didnt find French texts with reformed phonetic spelling to make a comparison of how efficient it could theoretically be.

-Quechua not only sounds bad (its a shame, the Incas are cool), it is extremely inefficient. At least Aymara is great.
>>
english is ugly language, and so is mine, fucking unlucky
>>
>you is both singular and plural
>""""good language""""
Thou is faggot.
At least you anglos don't have gendered words, I'll give you that. This probably adds the biggest waste of space while adding zero meaning.
>>
>>74315391
>anglos don't have gendered words
I can say this is the best part of english in my opinion
>>
>>74311453
based latin
>>
>>74311453
English is pretty much pictogram -tier at this point. Ofc you need fewer letters.

>>74315391
>he/she
>>
>>74315391
>>74315521
>>74315648

In English you can say "tell our mother I wont be back for dinner because Ill eat with a friend"
In Spanish you cant say that without also saying if the friend is a male or female.

genders are a waste on nonsensical things like tables being female in spanish, the best thing would be a gender for inanimate objects or abstract ideas, one for female creatures and another for male creatures.
>>
>>74315391
you is singular and plural
stop being a pleb
>>
>>74315391
>Thou is faggot
Wrong
Thou art a faggot
You are a faggot

"You is faggot" just makes you sound like an idiot
>>
>>74315521
I'm actually turkroach in hiding and I agree. In very core grammatical concept, T*rkish good lang desu. Of course practically it's undeveloped shit and nothing can match English in content and content is the king.

>>74315648>>74316054
I forgot about the utter cancer that is he/she. Ideally, gender meaning does not belong in the grammar layer of the language reeeee. Or at least it should account for the possibility of ambiguity by defaulting to "he" like all other languages, but of course no because feminisms and shit. Now you need to use "they" which creates more clusterfuck. And WTF is "xer"? Fucking retards can't even make a phonetically compatible pronoun.

Okay so let's make a neutral alternative "Brrrt".
>Brrrt ate shit. (He/she ate shit.)
>(The) Fag ate shit.
>(The) Madam ate shit.
See, using a word to announce a gender is not only infinitely more flexible, it's not that inefficient either kyaaa~.

>>74316123
Reeee no u. In that case you should get rid of all plurals and make the plural meaning by extra word or some weird shit.

>>74316145
I kinda knew that but too lazy to look up. Also, theoretically speaking, do we really need to bother conjugating differently when putting the subject is mandatory in the language and makes the difference obvious anyway?

I should consider learning usage of thou and use it everywhere unironicaly just for the lels kek. Autismus macht frei.
>>
File: 1474633081728.jpg (84KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474633081728.jpg
84KB, 900x900px
>>74317071
>western euro flag
>is muhammad
>>
>>74315391
*Thou art a faggot
>>
What a cuck you are m8. Yes, it is good for a quickly communication and it's easy to learn, but is not a complete one. English lacks content and you won't have all the word for describe with details an accurate idea
>>
>>74317191
of contents*
words*
>>
>>74316054
Gender actually makes communication between high-level speakers of the language more efficient. When you hear a gendered article or pronoun in a sentence your brain processes it more quickly because the number of things it could possibly refer to is halved.
>>
>>74317152
whats the thpanish equivalent of 'thou'?
>>
>>74319510
Vos sois un maricón.
>>
>>74319757
no need to be mean bud, just trying to learn.
>>
>>74320059

Tú (and Vos in Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay and some regions like Costa Rica and Eastern Bolivia) = informal second person singular pronoun, used with people you know very well with whom you have full trust

Usted = respectful second person singular, you would use this with a professor, your boss, or asking the time to some random person you dont know on the street.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.