[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the US entered the eurooean theatre in WW2? I mean by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: 1484923357469.png (267KB, 480x527px) Image search: [Google]
1484923357469.png
267KB, 480x527px
Why did the US entered the eurooean theatre in WW2? I mean by the time you guys entered the soviets were already winning against the Nazis
>>
American business interests
>>
>>74156458
Germany declared war on us.
>>
>>74156621
and? does that justify sending people to die in another continent for a war that is already practically won by one of your allies?
>>
>>74156458
Germany declared war on the United States.

>>74156747
Are you retarded? The war was not practically won when the US entered, in December of 1941.
>>
>>74156747
It wasn't practically already won, the USA changed the tide of the war in western europe when they showed up
>>
>>74156747
War was far from over when Hitler declared war on us at the end of 1941. Soviets didn't really get the ball rolling until Kursk. By which point we were involved in combat operations in North Africa and started our bombing campaign. Stalin wanted us to open a 2nd front, and we obliged. Hence D-Day and all that shit. Also considering the whole post-war thing we saved Western Europe from turning into communist shitholes.
>>
>>74156458
>by the time you guys entered the soviets were already winning against the Nazis

You think the Soviets were winning the war in 1941? I know Brazilians have a reputation for being stupid, but I thought this was a stereotype. Are you really this dumb?

>>74156857
Sort of, but "showed up" isn't the right phrase. It was more the ridiculous amount of supplies and fuel we sent to the Soviets that turned the tide, things were turning in the Allied direction long before American soldiers made their first landing in Europe (I think it was Italy, in 1943?).
>>
>>74156747
>sending people to die in another continent for a war that is already practically won by one of your allies
Maybe so that fewer of our allies could suffer less?
>>
>>74156458
russia would only support us in the pacific if we helped britain retake france
>>
File: Facesofwar.png (3MB, 2295x717px) Image search: [Google]
Facesofwar.png
3MB, 2295x717px
>>74156458

America won.
>>
>>74156458

American business interests

and Stalin wouldn't have stopped at germany, he would've kept steamrolling over the rest.
>>
>>74156747
Like they need a reason
>>
>>74156890
>1941?

I was under the impression the US didn't even declare war before 42, and didn't actually have a sizable force on mainland Europe till 1944.
Correct me if I'm wrong
>>
>>74156458
USA and Brazil defeated Nazi Germany.
>>
File: Graph.png (253KB, 1271x854px) Image search: [Google]
Graph.png
253KB, 1271x854px
>2017
>Still not accepting America beat Germany and Japan
>>
File: 1491943048119.jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1491943048119.jpg
59KB, 655x527px
>>74157810
>sondage
It's going to change again since the slimes hate you
>>
>>74156747
Here we can see a monkey learn about how military alliances work in real time. Fascinating.
>>
>>74157763
>I was under the impression the US didn't even declare war before 42

IIRC Germany declared war on the US in December of 1941, not long after Japan attacked us. We immediately declared war on them after that.

>and didn't actually have a sizable force on mainland Europe till 1944.

Not exactly, our military invaded Southern Italy with significant help from the UK in 1943.
>>
>>74156747
uhhh yeah
>>
>>74156458

Hitler's political objective was Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer. One people, one empire, one leader. The 'People' here were the Germanic Aryan race. The US has a very large ethnically German minority - especially if you define 'Germanic' expansively enough to justify invading Norway.

In 1941 the balance of power suggested Hitler would win, which meant our options were either let Hitler pull a Sudeten manouvre on Pennsylvania or start killing Nazis; we chose to start killing Nazis.

The plausible fallback options if Hitler didn't win were a joint British/Soviet victory - worrying, since the UK was our biggest rival at the time and the Soviets weren't exactly all that cozy with America - or a unilateral Soviet victory, with Stalinist puppet regimes stretching unbroken from Kamchatka to Calais. Hindsight supports the notion that anyplace liberated from Hitler by the Red Army was going to be Communist for a long, long time afterwards...
>>
>>74157810

This chart is misleading. The French obviously recognized that the USSR had the lion's share in defeating Germany in 1945. However, in the postwar aftermath, the French people got to see how the US and USSR treated their European "friends".

>France told the USA to leave France
>USA left, we shut down our military bases with limited protest because that's how we roll
>Hungary told the USSR to leave Hungary
>USSR sent in tanks and started murdering people

The Soviet Union obviously deserves most of the credit for beating Nazi Germany, but they fucked it up for themselves in the aftermath.
>>
>>74158195
>In 1941 the balance of power suggested Hitler would win,

No it didn't. The balance of power suggested that Hitler was taking a massive gamble. But it was an understandable gamble. If he had waited longer, the Soviets would have dwarfed the Germans. Hitler had to take his chance if he wanted to maintain German strength.

>which meant our options were either let Hitler pull a Sudeten manouvre on Pennsylvania or start killing Nazis; we chose to start killing Nazis.

You're either trolling or legitimately retarded. Germany was in no way capable of pulling a Sudeten on Pennsylvania.
>>
>>74156458
Someone had to stop the Soviets
>>
File: world police.png (683KB, 887x1202px) Image search: [Google]
world police.png
683KB, 887x1202px
>>74158221
Why are the US such nice guys compared to every other hegemon in history?
>>
>>74158221
>>74158699
And why do people still hate us despite this ;_;
>>
>>74158252
> The balance of power suggested that Hitler was taking a massive gamble

In late 1941, Hitler was doing pretty damn well on the eastern front. I can see where you're coming from, though, and I *do* consider the possibility of a Stalin-dominated victory possible. (And I suspect our strategists at the time did as well.) Would it have made sense for the US to stay out of the war and let Stalin win?

>Germany was in no way capable of pulling a Sudeten on Pennsylvania.

The fact that Hitler declared war suggests that HIS strategists thought that he could win it eventually. A German invasion of Pennsylvania in 1941 was obviously Not Going To Happen. But if they'd won against Britain, they'd have dominance of the North Atlantic. What happens to Canada in that scenario?

Canadian Independance? Hitler whines about how Britain surrendereded so the Empire belongs to him, North Atlantic campaign of 43-46 is the Reich invading Canada.

Canada surrendering with the Empire? All of a sudden the distance from Reich territory to Pittsburgh starts to look less like Berlin to Tehran and more like Berlin to Danzig.

Canada continuing to fight on as Zombie Britain In Exile? Again, 43-46 is a transatlantic invasion.
>>
>>74158711
>And why do people still hate us despite this ;_;

Because historically we are still assholes to foreign countries. Granted, relatively speaking we're pretty nice, but that doesn't change the fact that we're assholes.
>>74158733
>The fact that Hitler declared war suggests that HIS strategists thought that he could win it eventually. A German invasion of Pennsylvania in 1941 was obviously Not Going To Happen. But if they'd won against Britain, they'd have dominance of the North Atlantic. What happens to Canada in that scenario?

Nothing. You're being very silly. Germany had zero chance of ever getting anywhere near North America. Germany would not have dominance of the North Atlantic after beating Britain, in 1942 the US Navy was larger than literally every other navy in the world combined. The best-case scenario for Germany was knocking Britain out of the war and convincing the USA/Canada that continuing the fight in Europe wasn't worth it.

>Again, 43-46 is a transatlantic invasion.

Seriously, no offense, but if you think a transatlantic invasion was possible then you have no grasp of the facts of that time period or you're straight-up retarded (I'm leaning towards the former, you seem like a smart guy who just doesn't have all the information). A translatlantic invasion was simply never going to happen. Germany wasn't even capable of launching a trans-English Channel invasion.
>>
>>74158733
>North Atlantic campaign of 43-46 is the Reich invading Canada.

How the fuck is Germany going to pull that off? Have you looked into Germany's plan for invading Britain (just 100 miles away from German-controlled coastline)? It involved river barges. FUCKING RIVER BARGES.

This isn't your fault that you believe this. You've been brainwashed by decades of propaganda that told you that the super-strong Nazis were so close to destroying us but our brave heroes in America stopped them. The truth is that the entire conflict was a foregone conclusion the moment Germany declared war on the USA. The Reich had 0 chance of ever invading the USA or Canada. IMO, it had 0 chance of even getting close.

Germany's best chance was to essentially be a European Vietnam, and show America that it wasn't worth it to keep fighting. It had no chance of ever seriously hurting the USA.
>>
THis shit once again.

First, Hitler declared war on America. Not the other way around.
Second, The US went to Europe to aid the UK, not the USSR.
Third, in December 1941, which is the time when the declaration of war took place. The Nazis were sieging Moscow, and nothing was stopping them.

The siege of moscow was called off in january due to extreme winter temperatures, and the battle of stalingrad wouldn't' take place until 1943.

America didn't get into the war when it was already won. It had involved since much before, and officially became part of the war, in one of the worst points in the war, when many though the soviets would collapse at any moment.
>>
>>74160188
I meant, the battle of stalingrad wouldn't have ended until 1943. The battle started late 42 and ended on 43.
>>
>>74160188
>The Nazis were sieging Moscow, and nothing was stopping them

american education
>>
The US won against Japan, and helped in western Europe.
The USSR defeated Germany in Eastern Europe.
>>
>>74156458
Reminder that we technically won a war against both Germany and Japan.
>>
File: anglo.png (362KB, 608x559px) Image search: [Google]
anglo.png
362KB, 608x559px
Really makes you think.
>>
>>74160550
I meant, nothing was stopping their advance into Russian territory.

The initial campaign was pretty one sided. There is a difference between being stopped and trying to stop someone. The german advance into Russia went pretty well for the first year or so. 1942 and the soviet winter offensive marked the end of that one sided battle. But it wasn't until Stalingrad, and the retreat that Germany started to lose faith in the operation.
>>
>>74157810
60 years of (((Hollywood))).
>>
>>74159083

You may well be right that they were guaranteed to lose either way around - but I just don't see the point to OP's suggestion that we might as well have just sat out the European theatre, and any argument that hinges on 'Hitler couldn't successfully invade X so he wouldn't try' doesn't pass the sniff test.
>>
>>74156855
>Are you retarded? The war was not practically won when the US entered, in December of 1941.
Western theatre was a childs play compared to eastern, Stalingrad was a fucking hell. Due to this germans send best and elite of their forces to east. Now imagine what could murrifats do facing hundreds of elite german troops from eastern front?
>>
>>74156458
>by the time you guys entered the soviets were already winning against the Nazis
You answered your own question, the US wanted to prevent the Soviets from taking over Europe.
>>
>>74165046
i kno i just wanted to see how brainwashed are americans :DDD already got my answer
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.