[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can some1 give me a breakdown of learning a language?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1492676675091.jpg (33KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1492676675091.jpg
33KB, 657x527px
I know the sticky but idk how to start. Like i need a plan.
>>
like just b urself bro
>>
>>73857348
Learn easy meme languages like Afrikaans and Swedish. Once you master those go to different ones like German and Russian, then go to difficult meme languages like Finnish and Japanese.
>>
>>73857515
>how to learn languages
"just learn swedish, german and japanese brah"

nigerian advice everybody
>>
Study.
>>
Take a course
>>
>>73857348
speak with native speakers
>>
>>73857644
Isn't picking up (torrenting) a textbook obvious? I didn't feel like I had to add that. You can also watch Youtube videos and movies in the target language to help.
>>
>you start with reading the wikipedia article about it so you know a bit about its history, where it's spoken and its features
>you read up on different beginner's self-teaching methods(assmil, teachyourself, memrise, duolingo, old style textbook whatever)
>you pick one and get your feet wet
>you start with easy shit like greetings, build base vocabulary and study basic grammar(sentence structure of main clauses, most essential verb tenses(/conjugations if existing), word agreement, adjectives, how questions work etc, talking about yourself(so you can kick-off a conversation) a bit and describing your surroundings, expressing your thoughts

>once you have build a bit of a base of 1000-2000 words and know some grammar you get some real grammar and excercise books (if you only did memerise and memelingo)
>you can try to expose yourself to very easy resouces like stuff for little children while looking up all the unknown words you come across on dictinary sites, you might want to take notes
>you sign up some exchange app(HelloTalk is the best) and string some clunky sentences together while getting corrected(some people advocate trying to talk from the very beginning)
>You get deeper into grammar and try to practise more and more by consuming more stuff and talking to more people
>>
>>73858191
>after having secured a strong grammatical foundation and strong word base you will reach the point where you are not completely fluent but where consuming native material actually becomes enjoyable since you break out of the 'practice prison of artificial material' (in the beginning there will be a honeymoon phase since you will make rapid progress but this might wear off soon) and continue talking to people on exchange apps/sites
>you might want to reach out to native speakers IRL if they are available
>>
>>73858378

Sure at one point you want to visit the country where your target language is spoken but this is not advised if the stay is limited and if you have zero proficiency. You wouldn't have a meaningful interaction with a native for a long time because someone who hasn't even studied the basics puts a big burden on the other speaker.

The most important aspect of language learning is habit formation. It's more important to create the habit of studying at least 30 minutes/1 hour/1 lesson/1 whatever a day consitently than to power through half of a book and then do nothing for 2 weeks. Don't forget to revise your shit and look up stuff you come across on the go.

If you need a helping hand in the beginning, then it's not a mistake to join a language cours to give you some orientation but in general just a minority is really dedicated and getting taugh in front of a blackboard alone won't make you fluent.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.