[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portugal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

>be Portugal
>wandered the seven seas, had colonies in all 5 continents, brought home inumerous richness and goods, discovered entire cultures, spread sucessfully catholicism and their culture worldwide while creating the 5th biggest country of the world by population and territory while being a really small country
>nowadays is a depressed country that just want to forget the past, present and future
Why?
>>
Portugal is objectively better than Brazil
>>
The Portuguese of today don't descend from the people who sailed around the world, they descend form the ones that stayed behind.
>>
File: lol.png (97KB, 519x493px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
97KB, 519x493px
>>73753842
Portugal is objectively better than the USA too
>>
>>73753788
Portuguese people are too proud.
It's inevitable that our country would meet this present situation because of the anti-colonialist policies of america.
If you think about it Portugal has spread its cuisine to all corners of the world,we popularized chili curry to india,tea to the uk,tempura,konpeito and egg pastries to japan and so on

We have nothing to be sad about.
Our language has more speakers than german,italy, french combined.The most spoken language of the siuthern hemisphere.
If it wasn't for Portugal,east asian would have been muslim already.We stopped the spread by invading malasya and indonesia(we were horribly surprised by the fact that islam had reached east asian prior to an older religion like christianity.
Goa was a colony in india surrounded by muslims umtil the hindu revolution.
History is on our hands,nothing can take us off the history books.
Countries in the balkans,baltic(lithuania,latvia,estonia),finland and oyher east european countries will not survive the test of time.
We survived through plagues,invasions and etc and our country has the oldest borders in the world,the future has nothing on us
>>
File: easier if you don't exist.jpg (17KB, 335x459px) Image search: [Google]
easier if you don't exist.jpg
17KB, 335x459px
>>73753788
death would be a preferable alternative to the current state of affairs
>>
>>73753842
That data is old.Portugal has a smaller unemployment rate than brazil
>>
>>73753842
>>73754160

Why is being unemployed considered bad by this thing?
>>
It's in their genes. Do you remember the Caliphate? How big and prosperous it was? Well, the Moortuguese repeated the history of their ancestors and now it's the turn of Huehuezil.
>>
>>73753788
We're getting better our economy is rising, unemployment dropping and that victory at the euro boosted our confidence if things keep being good soon we'll conquer the world again to the fifth empire.
Our history was always of getting things back, from Reconquista to the Restauration of Independence we always get what we want.
>>
>>73753842
obviously

but it should be much better
>>
>>73753788
>> >nowadays is a depressed country that just want to forget the past, present and future
To be fair, we were depressed back then as well.
>>
>>73760725
>To be fair, we were depressed back then as well.
The other day on /int/ I saw a map that showed Portugal has the highest suicide rate of Portugal, Spain and Italy. Why?
>>
File: nordtugal.png (279KB, 1510x980px) Image search: [Google]
nordtugal.png
279KB, 1510x980px
>>73761612
We're just a culturally stern and pessimistic bunch by default.

Not much fiesta here, contrary to popular belief.
>>
>>73762490
wow. sorry to hear
>>
>>73753788
Stop bullying Portugal
>>
>>73754435
Wrong, things are not getting better, they are at most frozen in time and we aren't getting worse.
>>
>>73753990
this
>>
>>73761612
because life is inherently meaningless
i cry everyday desu
>>
>>73763015

Tell them to give our gold back
>>
>>73763181
DEBUELVAN EL ORO
>>
>>73763181
ask the brits
>>
>>73762490

why, though?

you live in an absolutely beautiful country. you ain't rich, but no one is starving either. it's safe and peaceful.
>>
>>73763181
>our gold
It wasn't really ours though, unless you're a disgusting Native American.
I just wish they had used the gold better and not just given most of it to England tbqh
>>
>>73763332
I dunno. We've always been this way.

I guess it comes from being very insular and despite the country being warm, we all live by the sea, which is very violent around these parts.

I honestly have no clue.
>>
>>73763332
portuguese mentality works like this:

to me, the way you ask that question makes no sense. the default in life is to be sad. life is miserable, painful, cruel and most importantly meaningless.
so why would i be happy though? why should that be the default?
>>
Will Portuguese people look down on me for studying Brazilian Portuguese? Is it easier to understand Brazilian Portuguese if you study the European version first than the other way round?
>>
>>73763593
it's the version that has more speakers so it's only logical you do that
however it's easier for european portuguese speakers to understand brazilian portuguese speakers than the other way round
>>
>>73763663
It's logical, but I think you guys wouldn't like it that much anyway, since he isn't learning the "true and superior Portuguese".
>>
>>73763418

Frist, go fuck yourself.
Second, you got a point; and the Natvies didn't care about gold anyway. This greed for gold came with Europeans. And they explore it, thus belong to them.
>>
>>73754171
Fucking kek.
>>
>>73763593
>>73763796
Not really. We are aware of how much more useful and easy to begin Brazilian Portuguese is. Euro Portuguese is usually better sure, but we won't get butthurt so long as you don't try to speak Spanish.
>>
>>73763593
>Will Portuguese people look down on me for studying Brazilian Portuguese?
Only butthurt tards you shouldnt be caring about

> Is it easier to understand Brazilian Portuguese if you study the European version first than the other way round?
Yes
>>
>>73763796
i don't think that way tbqh but that's just me i like brasil
>>
>>73763663
Does the number of speakers result in a comparable output of media? It might be smarter to start off with European and then get used to Brazilian by the exposure to media. What do Angolans and Mozambiques sounds like? Portuguese with funny intonation(influenced by African languages) or pants-on-head retarded créoles? Is European Portugues considered to be a prestige dialect in the other lusophone countries?
>>
>>73763663

True.
I've seen some videos on Youtube and I had a hard time to understand it.
I thought - We really fucked up Portuguese language.
>>
>>73763852
Like the nignogs they are
>>
>>73763852
>Does the number of speakers result in a comparable output of media?
yes obviously. just look at youtube. most videos explaining portuguese are in brazilian
>It might be smarter to start off with European and then get used to Brazilian by the exposure to media.
do as you think its best for you. why do you want to learn it? do you want to go to brasil and work there? do you want to come here to portugal? learn the one that makes more sense for you.
>What do Angolans and Mozambiques sounds like? Portuguese with funny intonation(influenced by African languages) or pants-on-head retarded créoles?
there are actual creoles out there but for the most part actual angolan and mozambiquean portuguese sounds like the european version but with a typical light black accent. nothing wrong with it tbqh
>Is European Portugues considered to be a prestige dialect in the other lusophone countries?
i don't think anyone thinks this except retarded portuguese people
>>
>>73764010
I'm studying languages for fun, there is no primarily economical reason, though I still want to hear some perspectives. I've been studying (metropolitan) French for the past years but I also consume some French Canadian media and I've been there for example. I also want to talk to former French colonials, etc.
>>
>>73763805
>go fuck yourself
You're really a Native American then? I doubt it.

>>73763934
>fucked up
more like unfucked it, considering that European Portuguese is the only Romance Language that sounds like that kek
It wasn't always like it is nowadays though.
>>
>>73764316
well ok
just for fun and interest then

if you want to know more:
portuguese has a lot of the same characteristics as french but it is different still
portuguese has a lot of nasalization just as french does (perhaps even more), and european portuguese has the same tendency as french of writing a word but the way you say it doesn't quite sound like what you wrote (for instance: "qu'est-ce que c'est?" is actually read more like "quesque cê"; portuguese "com licença" (=excuse me) probably sounds more like "c'l'sensa"). the vowel sounds in european portuguese are actually more similar to german than any other romance language (i've studies german so i know).
so if you do chose to learn the european version you will find some similarities but also a ton of differences.

brazilian portuguese is even more nasal, just by having an "n" or an "m" in a word the vowel right next to it immediately becomes more nasal, and also is read differently than what you write however the rules are simpler to learn and the sounds are easier to make generally if you don't know them.
brazilian is less stressed and more sung. it sounds beautiful in singing imo.
a lot of adding "j" and "s" to every other sound tho.

tl;dr: european and brazilian are different both have good and bad things

>>73764521
you're saying that as if romance languages all have the same sounds. french is super different from every other romance language. portuguese is different too. that's all. not all languages are like spanish and italian.
>>
>>73763934
>>73764521
No, you guys opened it a bit and we closed it a bit. It has diverged from a point in-between, I'm pretty sure. Just like English did.
>>
>>73764800
The best example I've found is how the different languages pronounce their version of "excellent":

Some approximations in English spelling (which is shit for this, but it's the only common thing we have, really):

English: "Ek-suhl-ent" 3 syllables
French: "Ek-seh-lan" 3 syllables
Spanish: "Ehks-eh-lehn-teh" 4 syllables
BR Portuguese: "Ei-she-len-txi" 4 syllables
PT Portuguese: "'Shlent" 1 syllable, kek
>>
>>73764800
>>73765609
Alright, thanks
>>
>>73765737
i'm sorry i bored you
>>
>>73754171
We wuz the post
>>
>>73766912
Not in the slightest.
>>
>>73765609
>PT Portuguese: "'Shlent" 1 syllable, kek
But why?
>>
>>73768829
We are known for reducing some vowels to the point of omitting one or another. "Excelente" suffered them all by accident:

Ex - is often pronounced "eish" or "-sh", but here it was reduced to just "sh"

This left "scelente", but we only ever open one vowel per word (Portuguese is the only Romance language to do this - Brazil does too, but a bit less), so it became sceLENte, with very closed e's, so those ended up dying as well.

This only happens when speaking fast, but it is noticeable.

On the other hand, Brazil opens their "ex" a lot, and they always pronounce the words in "te" as "txi" (depending on the place, but for the most part), so "Excelente suffered the most changes, which is amusing.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.