[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Duolingo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

Has anybody tried the Duolingo meme? I'm learning German right now and plan on trying to learn Finnish eventually.

Tell me about your progress.
>>
>>73345648
good for building up a base in vocabulary and getting a gist for grammar.

i finsihed the dutch one and tried to read a dutch newspaper and could get the general gist of an article
>>
>>73345648
I'm using a Duolingo-inspired program for Chinese. It's a pretty effortless way of learning grammar. Vocab on the other hand comes slowly.
>>
It's good but you shouldn't use it as your only learning resource imo
>>
Spanish and French. I don't use it anymore though
>>
I used to use it for french but just lost interest desu.

It is useful
>>
>>73345648
Never used it to learn a new language from scratch, it's pretty useful alongside actual language courses though.
>>
>>73347652
This.

Language learning is really a mastery of reading, writing, speaking, and listening in your target language.

Due to the limitations of the format, Duolingo only really trains you for reading and a bit of writing (the listening and speaking exercises were not very common, and overly simplistic).

Do the lessons to get a strong vocabulary base, then branch out to reading longer texts, and listening to long form audio.
>>
>>73345648
Its good for a base, shitty if you try to learn all the way.
>>
>>73347816
Yo, hand down that shit senpai.
>>
>>73345648
Will it help me learn the basics of a language my fellow Canadian anon?
>>
>>73348153
Estoy usando duolingo para aprender mexicano :v chinga tu madre wey la wea fome qlao xd... aaa no eso es chileno q tal perrroohhhhh xddddd
>>
>>73348153
It's called HelloChinese.

I put the vocab into Anki and turned off the pinyin, otherwise you would never remember it all. It's good though, it takes you through the vital parts of HSK1 with words/concepts from as deep as HSK3.
>>
>>73348257
>Will it help me learn the basics of a language
Yeah
>fellow Canadian
Uhhh, anon...
>>
File: duolingo map.png (552KB, 2996x1787px) Image search: [Google]
duolingo map.png
552KB, 2996x1787px
>see thread
>load up Duolingo app on my phone
>notice the Greek course finally has mobile support
>tfw I can practice Greek while on the shitter now

I am Greek.
>>
>>73348336
Does it have some kind of spaced repetition system?
>>
>>73349435
Also, I've used it for French, but I can't really say how good it is for learning a new language since I've been using it mainly to brush up on my French.
>>
>>73349435
Sweden wtf?
>>
>>73349605
http://making.duolingo.com/which-countries-study-which-languages-and-what-can-we-learn-from-it

>Duolingo’s Swedish course turns out to be the most popular in Sweden itself: 27% of all users in Sweden are learning Swedish.

>Why would that be the case? Immigration to Sweden has been skyrocketing in recent years: one in six Swedish residents in 2015 was born outside of Sweden. The fastest growing foreign-born groups are from Syria and Afghanistan, reflecting a recent increase in the refugee population. Duolingo recently released a Swedish course for Arabic speakers, which will hopefully help!
>>
>>73347816
>>73348336
I'm checking this out now. 你厉害!! Shay-shay, mai nei-guh. :^)
>>
>>73349864
Check ChineseSkill too
>>
>>73349944
Thanks, Bolan. I don't think I need to wait for Duolingo to release a Mandarin course anymore.
>>
>>73345648
Currently learning Esperanto, mostly just to see how Duolingo is (not like I can't spare 20 minutes of my day instead of wasting time here).
Having (sort of) learnt Ancient Greek on my own through textbooks, I think Duolingo is pretty nice, also convenient. But I think you could make progress a lot quicker if they gave you the Grammar straight up and made you practice it, rather than slowly trying to sneak it in.
Would be cool if there was a Latin course, but I guess I'll just have to resort to textbooks.
>>
>>73345648
Duolingo sucks balls, not even memeing.
Don't waste your time and get yourself a proper book.
>>
>>73349641
wtf i thought that was just a meme
>>
File: 1486209150826.jpg (55KB, 1073x785px) Image search: [Google]
1486209150826.jpg
55KB, 1073x785px
Finnish? why?
>>
>>73350153
I use that "reversed" Chinese course on Duolingo, I mean the English for Chinese speakers course, but I already have HSK4, I'm not sure if it would be accessible for total beginners.

>>73350542
I cannot agree, I learnt Portuguese using mostly Duolingo, it depends on the version you use - the app is too easy, the website is OK-ish, but in the case of, let's say, Hungarian, even the app may be very useful.
>>
>>73348258
10/10 vas por buen camino carnal
>>
>>73351459
Because I love Finland. It's the apex of human civilization.

Real answer is so I can use yliluata.
>>
>>73353198
>learning language so you can transition to actual mongolian painting website
>>
>>73345648
I'm learning German by actually going to classes where we mostly do grammar, every now and then they tell us to use Duolingo for practice and let me tell you, it really does help with vocabulary.
>>
>>73349470
Holy fuck, why is it french?
AND WHY IS AMERICA LEARNING ENGLISH.
>>
>>73348067
>Learning a language is mastering the language
Teach me your ways
>>
>>73353655
Those are second most popular, friend.
>>
File: rkP8ymU.jpg (650KB, 1832x1754px) Image search: [Google]
rkP8ymU.jpg
650KB, 1832x1754px
>>73353655
>Why is America learning English
Don't act like you don't know
>>
>>73354012
Yeah, i read it, but still, why would learning english be second most popular on america the land of freedom.
>>
>>73354044
you get english as a language on every step of your education, its literally everywhere, so its has to be south's fault.
>>
File: 1480238725385.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
1480238725385.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>73354119
I'm not falling for it Juan, there is no way you're that stupid
>>
>>73354062
Cause immigrants, tbqh, and I'm not just talking about Mexicans. There's tons of communities filled with non-English speakers.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.