[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hyphenated Americans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (99KB, 564x606px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 564x606px
Why don't white Americans refer to themselves kas european-Americans, but refer to blacks as African-American? Why do whites call them African-American than claim they are KANGZing when they try to claim African culture?
>>
>>73335416
I think because mostly white people are treated as the original americans
>>
>>73335470
But most of them are recent immigrants. It doesn't make any sense. That sounds like cultural appropriation.
>>
>>73335470
Tbh this.
People automatically assume whites to be the default American, while non-whites are considered others that just happen to live in the same country.
>>
>>73335416
>>73335416
I don't think there's a difference besides that blacks believe (or that's what it seems at least) they're descendants of the pharaos and whiteys just consider themselves part of an european culture, but actually both are wewuzing and both are just americans
>>
>>73335416
the joke isn't just the heritage, its that black americans are claiming "african heritage" for Egypt which was never a sub saharan african country. They're completely ignorant of what africa is actually like, I imagine a lot would be shocked if they visited their country of origins
>>
>>73335416
I think it's because sub sarahan Africans were stripped of their land and culture so they just call them "African American", it's like giving them a pass for being connected to their ethnic background. A lot of Americans in general just view Africa has one big monolith and same thing "white" people. European="white" in the eyes of an American so no one really differentiates between them.
>>
>>73335684
you mean like Nigeria, Ghana and Angola?
the africans don't even want them back (if you are to believe what Nairaland says)
>>
>>73335684
It is a result of using misleading and non-unique descriptor. People can't blame them for claiming what people call them.
>>
>>73335723
*not being connected
>>
>>73335723
But African-Americans are African and European, so it's complicated. They weren't stripped of their land because they were an entirely new ethnic group created through cultural fusion in colonial America. They are literal products of American history, and in reality, now way detached from it.
>>
>>73335957
Well when the average person thinks of Africa, he's going to think of really dark skinned people(blacks) so everyone just judges the entire continent and its people as a monolith. I mean many South Africans(the white ones) and North Africans aren't considered African even though they quite literally are, they are however put in their own category. Anyway a lot of blacks I know don't even identify as African American, like they're not obsessed with being African. In fact they make fun real African culture all the time. To them, they're just a couple of American black dudes with zero connection to Africa. I think the same goes for all the white Americans too. i mean my mother and father were Greek immigrants(inb4 not white) and yet I do not consider myself to be Greek at all. I don't speak the language and have zero connection to the culture and the country. I just have my own American identity, calling myself Greek really says nothing about me as a person or my experiences in life.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.