[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Griffes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1280x960px
Why did the term griffe fall out of favor as a descriptor for black Americans?

It is unique and rolls of the tongue better than black American or African-American, terms that subtley misrepresent this unique ethnic group.
>>
I believe such terms do not apply to long generational mixes (Afr-Ams got their Northern European ancestry some time ago), only to "recent" ones; i.e., a black person with a Caucasian grandparent.
>>
>>73302761
That's wrong
>>73302486
Stop being autistic, not all black Americans are Griffe especially in the South and inner city North.

No one speaks of blood quantum and after centuries of denying mixed race identities and actively subjugating based on blackness the avergae black person isn't going to deny that as their identity to suit your stupidity
>>
>>73302761
It's splitting hairs at that point.

Griffe simply means black with a quarter euro admixture, or at least a discernible amount. Afro-Americans average between 20-30% admixture essentially making them an ethnic group of almost entirely griffes. Why were they described in with practical and applicable terminology in a supposedly more racist era?
>>
>>73302827
Why are you so against a simpler more accurate term?
>>
>>73303139
Because I know history you dumbass

> Be particularly careful to distinguish between blacks, mulattos, quadroons, and octoroons. The word "black" should be used to describe those persons who have three-fourths or more black blood; "mulatto," those persons who have from three-eighths to five-eighths black blood; "quadroon," those persons who have one-fourth black blood; and "octoroon," those persons who have one-eighth or any trace of black blood.

This is the 1890's census, stop trying to be closer to whiteness they never wanted you
>>
>>73303060
They aren't though, that's the average but it's heavily regionalized
>>
>>73303418
So you know more than geneticists. Link your studies.
>>
>>73303283
It's not about being closer to whiteness it's about an accurate descriptor. I'm not white, but I'm also clearly not African. I think I might be on to something.
>>
>>73303611
Black people will not identify with rapist blood because of your autism
>>73303494
My views are contextualized with research of genetics and records dumbass. You should feel bad about your conclusions
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/12/24/health/24zimmer2/24zimmer2-master675.jpg
>>
>>73305452
Can you prove it was rape. A child inherits his father's blood just as much as his mothers.
>>
File: finnish indians.jpg (189KB, 720x406px) Image search: [Google]
finnish indians.jpg
189KB, 720x406px
>>73302486
Why cant they just be called Afrikans? Even the finnish americans are just Finns, and not Finno-Indians.
>>
>>73305801
Because you are directly and fully from Finland. To call myself an African would be offensive to real Africans. I see myself as an American first and foremost and have nearly as much euro blood as African. Why don't you go around calling yourself a European-American.
>>
If you feel where I'm coming from hashtag #griffe.
>>
>>73305801
Not all native Africans are black.
>>
>>73310829
This part of the problem with the current terminology it, undermines actual Africans. #griffe
>>
I've never heard of this word. <- Someone who grew up with black people and should have heard of this before.
>>
>>73314527
Because it's not racist, awkward, or misleading, and it's simple. Thus it is suppressed.
>>
>>73314527
In French it means "claw"

More specifically it is a fashion term meaning there is a brand on the product.
Sometimes you have high quality products sold much cheaper with the brand removed (like they remove the adidas logo and cut th price tag) it is then called "dégriffé".
>>
>>73303060
>Quadroon
means black with a quarter euro admixture,
>>
>>73315530
Quadroon means 3/4 white. All the other terms should just be absorbed into griffe.
>>
>>73315172
Bump
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.