[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1838

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 339
Thread images: 48

File: 1485516206026.png (376KB, 1333x880px) Image search: [Google]
1485516206026.png
376KB, 1333x880px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

ガンバ!

Last thread: >>73256588
>>
DJT is dead...half the threads just die now, we need a solution or else we'll simply stop existing.

The thread number also shouldn't increment if the thread died, since the last thread was an incomplete edition. It truly triggers my autism.
>>
watashi wa biki ja nai desu
>>
>>73299246
the only solution to "revive" them would be to merge with /jp DJT. but i doubt anyone would want that
>>
File: IMG_2145.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2145.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
What does this ね signify? What meaning does it add to the verb 殺る?
>>
>>73300723
殺さぬ→殺さねば
殺さない→殺さなければ
>>
>>73301201
Sorry, I guess this is やる:
やらぬ→やらねば
>>
>>73301255
Wow
I thought やらぬ=やらなければ
ねば being a negative form is totally news for me.
>>
>>73303154
Related:
https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#ねばならない
>>
>>73303154
ない and ぬ are separate auxiliary verbs with separate conjugations.

MZ (な) なかろ
RY (に・ず) なく
SS (ず) ない
RT ぬ ない
IZ ね なけれ
MR (ざれ) x
>>
>>73299246
Is this what the threads are like without meme spam and lengthy, zaney off topic arguments, death by the relative obscurity of being [more] on topic? (笑)
>>
It's my fault, I usually wake up at 11:30 (Brazil Time) to do some Anki and bump the thread first thing after sitting on the PC, but I've been waking up later this week. Last post on past thread was around 10:30, I could have saved it.
ごめんなぞい。

If you have any ideas for revitalization, though, that'd be nice. I should get back to making that chart.
>>
>>73303445
Couldn't find anything about pure ねば ending there?
>>
>>73303567
>MZ
>RY
>SS
>RT
>IZ
>MR
What do these mean?
>>
終止
連用
未然
連体
已然 ※現在形では仮定
命令
>>
> 終止↔未然
適当に言ったけど本当かな。。
>>
What does ちょっといっかい (all written in hiragana) mean? "Just a sec"?
>>
Has anyone completed the DOJG Anki deck? I just got done with basic and my reading accuracy has improved drastically. Just wondering where I can expect to be after finishing the whole deck
>>
>>73304695
I should have said tangentially related, sorry about that. It was related to the なければならない construct.
Those initials stand for conjugation classifications.
MZ = 未然形 (imperfective form)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9C%AA%E7%84%B6%E5%BD%A2

RY = 連用形 (continuative form)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%80%A3%E7%94%A8%E5%BD%A2

SS = 終止形 (predicative form)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%B5%82%E6%AD%A2%E5%BD%A2_%28%E6%96%87%E6%B3%95%29

RT = 連体形 (attributive form)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%80%A3%E4%BD%93%E5%BD%A2

IZ = 已然形 (realis/conditional form)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B7%B2%E7%84%B6%E5%BD%A2

MR = 命令形 (imperative form)
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%91%BD%E4%BB%A4%E5%BD%A2
>>
File: qt angle.jpg (20KB, 400x382px) Image search: [Google]
qt angle.jpg
20KB, 400x382px
Just wanna thank Australia for the fantasy mango posted yesterday, Ryushika Ryushika specially looks VERY cute.

Still downloading all the stuff little by little.
Couldn't find 45分間の魔法使い on MangaUpdates nor MAL, is it that underground?
>>
>>73305676
ちょっといっかいやってみてもいいかな
can I do it once?
(in the case that いっかい is 一回)

ごめんよ、ちょっといっかい?
excuse me, you got a minute?
(in the case that いっかい is euphonic of いいかい(※rare))

don't mind my Japanenglish much.
>>
>>73305847
How do those english letters correspond to the gammatical forms they denote? Can't see anything that links them.
>>
>>73306219
MZ - Mizenkei
RY - Renyoukei
SS - Shuushikei
RT - Rentaikei
IZ - ??zenkei
MR - Meireikei

Just think about it like a Matroshka doll where every layer needs to shift writing system or language.
>>
>>73306335
Never occured to me to think about it this way.
Thks!
>>
我々は「ず ざら ず ざり ず ぬ ざる ねざれ ざれ」と覚える
しかし実際の使い方は全く覚えていない。。
>>
File: 1491059308452.jpg (28KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
1491059308452.jpg
28KB, 600x601px
>>73306150
That is a very cute angle.
>Couldn't find 45分間の魔法使い on MangaUpdates nor MAL, is it that underground?
It's serialised in まんがタイムKRコミックスフォワードシリーズ and published by 芳文社、thus part of the collection I'm working on. Details from the publisher:
http://houbunsha.co.jp/comics/detail.php?p=%A3%B4%A3%B5%CA%AC%B4%D6%A4%CE%CB%E2%CB%A1%BB%C8%A4%A4
Collection:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jcn7Z4tbdRblEGnq6jzfW_sc-cOekTSs_N8z7mqb8Uc/edit?usp=sharing
Sheet 1/芳文社、Row 59.

>>73306219
未然形→みぜんけい→MiZenkei→MZ
連用形→れんようけい→RenYoukei→RY
終止形→しゅうしけい→ShuuShikei→SS
連体形→れんたいけい→RenTaikei→RT
已然形→いぜんけい→IZenkei→IZ
命令形→めいれいけい→MeiReikei→MR
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (52KB, 800x682px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
52KB, 800x682px
>>73306335
>>73306638
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Renyoukei, is in fact, Ren youkei, or as I’ve recently taken to romanize it, Ren'youkei. Renyoukei is not an accurate transliteration itself, but rather another ambiguous take on a fully functioning romanization system made useful by the Hepburn, modified Hepburn and vital kana knowledge comprising a 1:1 romanization as defined by ISO.
Many Japanese learners use a modified version of the Hepburn system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Hepburn which is widely used today is often called “Romaji”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Hepburn system, developed by the James Curtis Hepburn. There really is Romaji, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Romaji is the concept: the alphabet in the system that allocates the language’s sounds to the other glyphs that you know. The alphabet is an essential part of a transliteration, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete transliteration system. Romaji is normally used in combination with the Hepburn transliteration system: the whole system is basically Hepburn with Romaji added, or Hepburn/Romaji. All the so-called “Romaji” writers are really distributions of Hepburn/Romaji.
>>
File: 122344.png (49KB, 229x84px) Image search: [Google]
122344.png
49KB, 229x84px
Hello - I accidently posted this in the wrong thread before.
I'm desperate to find out what this could mean - any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>73306638
When you say "Working on", it means you're compiling all rips? I'm just looking at the covers to find out which ones look pretty, apart from a few you've posted already (like Heisei Umare), I really like the art of:

03 - Hitsugikatsu no Kuro
21 - Remains (Is it about tennis? Should be about something post-apocalypse! Shoot.)
25 - Harusora March
27 - Uni^4
>>
>>73307622
プリズムビーズ キラキラ輝くモノたち
Shiny, glittery prism beads.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/エポック社-AQ-S38-アクアビーズアートキラキラアーティストEXセット/dp/B00L8HOCIK?language=en_US
>>
>>73308202
>it means you're compiling all rips?
That and buying what I can't find rips of. Is more of the latter, unfortunately.
The second sheet is misc series which are published by 芳文社 or serialised in any of the まんがタイムきらら related magazines.
>>
>>73307622
>>73308218
HAHA, now everyone knows ur gay.
>>
>>73308338
which are not published*

>>73308339
It's a Kraut, who knows what those beads are going towards. Probably some sort of weapon to attempt to take over Europe again.
>>
File: nakagawabake.png (78KB, 520x400px) Image search: [Google]
nakagawabake.png
78KB, 520x400px
>>73308338
Ooh, yeah, I forgot there were other sheets.

Sheet 2 - 他の出版社
1 - Biotop (downloaded)
7 - Tensomething;
8 - Hitoribocchi no Seikatsu (I actually added it to my backlog recently);
10 - Mitsuboshi Colors (downloaded)
18 - Totsukuni no Shoujo (fffff- you said to wait, I'll wait, what an amazing cover!)
29 - Kenmo Hororo
38 - Kakushigoto

Are you a completionist control freak? I hope you're not into doujin music as well.
>>
>>73308339
>>73308218
>>73308414

Thank you, and yes, I'm probably super gay, however, I am not ordering beads, just wondering what the next theme for my dress up game is lol
>>
>>73308926
you should learn Katakana my man
would probably help a lot in a game with all those pseudo-English terms
>>
>>73309070
Yeah, the notifications are always hell to understand. Pretty much just google translate English.
I think I have Michel Thomas for Japanese lying around somewhere, maybe I should give it a go to see if it ends up interesting em enough to get serious. Good method for me, helped me so much with French.
>>
>>73307622
Prism bees
>>
File: Untitled.png (65KB, 189x371px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
65KB, 189x371px
>海の恐ろしさっちゅうモン
海の恐ろしさというもの?
>>
>>73309242
Prism biz. Selling magic healing crystals to old people.
>>
File: 1417059486836.jpg (25KB, 299x371px) Image search: [Google]
1417059486836.jpg
25KB, 299x371px
>>73308776
>Are you a completionist control freak?
Just a bit stubborn and wanted to create a collection for learners with a focus on cute girls doing cute things, as these magazines tend to focus on. It would also act as a more focused branch of the CoR, if and when it is all done and I let the CoR maintainer know about it. Realistically it has more connection with /a/ than /int/ but since this thread isn't on /a/, I decided to post it here. There is /jp/ but they seem to equate Japanese media with visual novels.
The largest hurdle to overcome is completing the back catalouge. As these magazines tend to be monthly, they only end up having a small amount of tanks published a year and that it really easy and cheap to keep up to date.

To be honest I was kind of spurred on by anons like you who responded positively to some of the series I was ripping and dumping a short while back that got me thinking maybe other anons would take interest in manga where they otherwise may not have and develop a reading habit. I like manga. It makes learning Japanese play instead of work. People work too hard and play too little.

>I hope you're not into doujin music as well.
Can't afford to be, lossless music is too heavy on Australian bandwidth 笑う
>>
>>73299246
DJT needs to attract more posters. The current userbase is mostly static and the fact that this is a former /a/ thread at edition 1838 doesn't help. Personally, I would be fine with changing the name to something else, like a generic "Japanese learning thread", but I don't know what other anons think.
>>
File: 55nyan rosquinha.png (349KB, 1000x935px) Image search: [Google]
55nyan rosquinha.png
349KB, 1000x935px
>>73310316
I always advertise DJT over 55chan (when the subject of learning Japanese comes up), since there are lots of BR weebs wanting to learn it, but I think no one has ever actually showed up.
Guess they don't even know English, then.
>>
昨日楽しすぎて
今日おもんなく感じた

What does おもんなく mean?

Context: girl who went on a trip to kyoto
>>
>>73310933
Apparently it is 大阪弁 for 面白くなく
>>
>>73310316
A lot of people get angry and disappointed over at the /jp/ DJT because they're questions are mocked and derided by the autists over there. Sadly, the autists have the mod in their pocket and when you try to redirect people to the /int/ DJT, they report your post and it gets promptly deleted. This is too bad, because a lot of beginners aren't aware that there is a DJT here too, and that it's way more helpful than the one on /jp/. We would have to find a way to funnel the people here to save them from those assholes tarnishing DJT's good name.
>>
>>73311772
Their*
>>
What does おらんのか mean?
>>
>>73311772
I disagree, because ostensibly, those beginners found the thread from browsing /jp/. If we want to attract more posters we should be focusing on our own board, otherwise you're basically saying that DJT doesn't belong in /int/ which is a separate issue altogether.

Also, I lurk /jp/ sometimes because the anon who manages the DJT site posts updates there. I think you should at least respect his opinion and keep it in mind before saying that the /jp/ thread tarnishes DJT's name.

>>73312088
いないのか, maybe.
>>
>>73309296
Yes.
土佐弁喋ってるね
>>
>>73312217
Actually a lot of them were /a/ DJT browsers who stumble upon the /jp/ DJT thinking it simply stopped existing after it left /a/.
>>
Is なんでや just なんで, or is it a shorting of なんでやねん?
>>
I saw a tweet with「 冷房ガン効きだったのにもう蒸し風呂です!」. What does the first part mean involving the ガン効き?
>>
File: kanji.png (194KB, 483x3723px) Image search: [Google]
kanji.png
194KB, 483x3723px
I think I've made some sort of mistake.
>>
>>73315059
You can learn Japanese.
>>
Reminder: Anki with the Core pack by itself sucks shit. You won't get anywhere with it alone, but supplement it with reading where you see words in context and also build your own decks and you'll be a winner.
>>
File: kanji.png (74KB, 483x1615px) Image search: [Google]
kanji.png
74KB, 483x1615px
Is my kanji grid weird?(Is it normal to have such low values? Ive been doing this deck for about a month and a half)
>>73315059
What do you mean?
>>
I have a few questions I wanted to ask.

1. I downloaded the .txt 詰め合わせ and all I'm getting is gibberish, can someone confirm for me that the file is corrupt or am I just a mouth breathing retard who's fucking something up on my end of the line.

2. More importantly. I've been at this for around two years, have an N2 and can read normal text well but haven't managed to break into actual literature. Are there any recommendations for getting through this plateau between regular modern writing and what I suppose is narrative style writing or is it just time to buckle down? Any good anki decks or other resources would be appreciated as well?
>>
>>73315566
Nah, it will only begin to look like a motivational graph after you're done with Core2k. The beginning is all red.

>>73315705
Link plox. Also try opening on Notepad++ and fiddling with the different encodes for display.
>>
>>73306638
How are these related?(辞書形, テ形, 推量形)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/AMB_Japanese_Verbs.pdf
>>
>>73315566
>What do you mean?
I'm probably wasting too much time adding kanji I'll never see to anki.
>>
>>73316014
You might be, but anything you learn won't hurt you, though i agree time could be spent somewhere else more efficiently. However, if you have fun with anki i don't think it's a mistake.
>>
>>73315790
>Link plox.

It's in the cornucopia of resources. in the 小説 Section. I don't know how often they update it but I remember downloading some files from there that worked last year.
>>
I really
REALLY fucking hate using Anki

I don't know why I'm so retarded but it's just frustrating and I'm slowly losing interest in actually learning

But I found WaniKani was actually enjoyable to use.

Am I learning nip wrong if I don't use Anki?
>>
>>73316404
Go away, croc-head.

Nah, you are only learning it wrong if you stop reviewing shit while you are still not advanced.
And even learning it wrong is better than stopping to learn altogether.
>>
What are you reading today anon?
>>
File: weipa-s.jpg (127KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
weipa-s.jpg
127KB, 600x600px
Please recommend best stock for ramen. A Japan friend recommended this HK product but I can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>73315856
辞書形 is just another word for 終止形, since the 終止形 is the form the verb will appear in a dictionary under.

テ形 is the te-form, which is actually made up of the 連用形 plus the auxiliary verb て. In 五段 verbs (u-verbs) and other words, the 連用形 often goes through a sound change before た or て so this isn't always obvious. Example: 書く→書き→書きて→書いて (き becomes い, which is called イ音便).

推量形, the volitional form, is made up of the 未然形 plus the volitional auxiliary verb う or よう. A sound change also occurs for the 未然形 of 五段 verbs in this form because of changes in how the おう sound was written over time.
>>
>>73316599
>>
>>73316731
Good choice, enjoy.
>>
>>73316599
DJT!

I-I'm learning, right?
>>
>>73316599
Textfugu

don't bully me
>>
>>73316857
It's the first thing I'm reading(I tried yotsuba and flying witch but they got boring really fast), it's pretty hard, but I'm actually liking the story so it doesn't bother me that much to have to go to a dictionary every 2 panels(Also, the quality is pretty good so i can clearly see most kanji) and I just found out Jisho has a nice search by component function which makes it way easier than drawing in my phone or OCRing.
I don't remember what country's anon recomended it last thread, but I'm really thankful.
>>
>>73317028
>>73317056
Why aren't you two studying native material? Do you not want to learn Japanese?
>>
>>73317291
I only just learned Hiragana....
>>
>>73317291
Time management and multiple goals.
I keep biting more than I can chew and panic, doing nothing but micro-actions that provide me instant gratification.
>>
>>73314743
I think ガン効き means "full blast"
>even though the a/c was on full blast...
>>
>>73317312
You could try nhk easy news or some kid stories 100% hiragana/katakana(assuming you have some kanjiless vocabulary from, say, watching subbed anime). Gratz información learning hiragana
>>
>>73317681
On learning(this silly corrector)*
>>
File: Derp.jpg (33KB, 641x480px) Image search: [Google]
Derp.jpg
33KB, 641x480px
Question: is Arial Unicode MS still relevant/necessary?
I just formatted a Win7 and it doesn't include it, so I'm guessing it either comes via some service pack or was dropped. Is it present in Win8 and 10?

I still use a backed up version I have from Windows XP SP2, although the few modified joyo kanji from 2005 look fine in this version.

Or has another Unicode font replaced it?
>>
>>73317772
Meiryo is part of the OS by default from Windows 7 onwards, which handles Japanese fine. Arial Unicode MS isn't necessary for Japanese unless you really like that font.
>>
>>73299246
Time to merge with the Japanese thread
>>
Can you just say そうだ or must it be だそうです?
>>
>>73318187
I like it for the versatility. It can include Chink, Nip, Boris and Jew shit all in one convenient font.

When setting up my browser font, for instance, I had to put Meiryo in my recently-formatted PC in order to read Japanese properly, but now I don't know which font it's going to display other languages in. Arial Unicode MS kinda guaranteed a final solution, from English to Hebrew, and I could rest at ease.

I also have no idea how the OS handles all this locally, for filenames and whatnot. Does it use several fonts combined?

(I do like Arial, it's the best font for Roman characters).
>>
>>73318313
Turns out that Microsoft didn't want to pay the license fee to Monotype, who made the font. Apparently you can get it with Microsoft Office but not system wide.
The version 1.01 font is called arialuni.ttf
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?fmid=1081

It isn't cheap for a license but you can probably find it for free online.
Yes, Microsoft are stingy cunts for not paying for this license any more.
>>
脱退以降の大森の顛末には思うところのある方も、本作のクオリティに再び目を向けてほしいと願っています。

Anyone wanna take a crack at this sentence? The context is an album a review, particularly a solo project from a member of a popular Japanese band. 大森 is the artist, and he left a popular Japanese band (which is what the 脱退以降 is referring to).

"... I implore them to shift their attention once more to the quality of this album."

That's the second half, but I can't put together what's going on in the first half, or at least, the relative clause attached to 方 (which I am assuming to be person here).
>>
>>73318544
I took 方 to be ほう、not かた here, as the reviewer is also taking into considering the circumstances after leaving 大森.
(I don't really know)
>>
>>73318683

lol thanks for making an attempt. I started with ほう as well, but the 2nd half of the makes much more sense if it's 方も is referring to people.

I think the answer lies here

https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1010862480

... but frankly I'm done with Japanese wracking my brain today, so I'll worry about it tomorrow.
>>
>>73318833
My thought was, "For those with their own thoughts about what's happened to Oomori since his departure..."
But I'm not confident either.
>>
>>73318860
That sounds a lot more likely reading back over after going through that link with かた in mind.
>>
File: 20150424122820.jpg (253KB, 800x403px) Image search: [Google]
20150424122820.jpg
253KB, 800x403px
>>73316644
The seasoning in the left can was changed.
The seasoning in the right can is the old seasoning of the left can.
The reason is a relation in their contract.
>>
File: 1488835304959.png (56KB, 491x585px) Image search: [Google]
1488835304959.png
56KB, 491x585px
>>73316528
>croc-head

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1456431201827.png (934KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1456431201827.png
934KB, 1000x750px
>>73320851
The wanikani croc-crab thing.
>>
How do you decide when to press again, hard, or good in the DoJG Anki deck?
>>
Does Kanji get easier to write the more you progress through learning the language?
>>
>>73321151
Kanji gets easier to write the more you write
>>
>>73321060
Which version are you using? The version with the close cards make it pretty easy: you either get the concept right or you don't. For the standard review cards, I read through the entry and hit good, using the deck simply as a review of the grammar to aid reading.
>>
>>73321151
Kanji gets piss easy to write after going through something like RTK. You don't even have to know anything about Japanese with a system like that.
>>
I sometimes see normal japanese words written out in katakana.
Is katakana used as capslock-shouting or bold+underscore sometimes?
>>
>>73321858
Yes. They might also choose to do it because the kanji is not very widely used and because there is too much hiragana attached to the word, so writing in katakana instead of hiragana makes reading a bit clearer. Which wouldn't be necessary if they put the kanji in the first place.
>>
>>73318544
>>73318683
「かた」やで。
it's a polite way of expression of 人.
脱退 is a negative thing. therefore 思うところ in that sentence means 'discontent'.
>>
>>73313816
なんで → standard language
なんでや → kansai dialect by using an ending particle や. なんでなの in standard language
なんでやねん → ending particle ねん. なんでなんだよ in standard language
>>
File: IMG_2145.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2145.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
How should I read this 思惑?
おもわく or しわく?
>>
File: ○本の住人_3_005.jpg (224KB, 963x1400px) Image search: [Google]
○本の住人_3_005.jpg
224KB, 963x1400px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=173VEpaZoxA

It has finally been answered for us
>>
right now, I'm reading yotsuba and while I do manage to get by, I have to look up a ton of stuff (not rarely multiple words per page).
Is it a realistic goal to aim for n3 this december? Is it achievable?
I've been studying for about a year now and will probably proceed at a similar pace.
>>
>>73325092
I think it is easily possible, especially if you have already had a year of some exposure
>>
>>73325169
easily? That would be amazing.
I mean, the gap between n4 and n3 is greater than between n3 and n2, no?
if n3 was easily achievable, you think even n2 might be manageable if I dedicate more time to my studies?
>>
>>73325274
I think the gap between n2 and n3 is larger than n3 and n4.

It depends on you basically. I've been studying for just under 2 years, and have been pretty slack for majority of it but I don't find the n2 practice questions that difficult if that says anything

Just read a lot and consume heaps of media
>>
>>73325092
What is your listening comprehension like? Don't forget that there is a 聴解 section.

>>73325274
Not that anon but to be honest I don't think you'd be able to at this pace, unless you really upped your vocab.
>you think even n2 might be manageable if I dedicate more time to my studies?
Can you afford 4 hours a day study and another 4 hours reading/listening? N3 is a big step up from N3. Not as much as the step up to N1, but still a lot. You also need to be able to read pretty quick with relatively decent comprehension.
If you've got the money and have access to a testing site, go for it, but I think you'd pushing it.
>>
>>73325365
I've been attending japanese classes so my listening comprehension is still slightly better than my reading capabilities. I can read and write 200-300 kanji right now and I imagine my vocabulary would be around 2000 words or sth.
Will probably drop learning to write kanji (I think I got a feeling for it now) within the next month in order to be faster with learning actual new vocabs.

My biggest problem currently is grammar. I've been practicing vocabs all throughout the day in super short intervals of 5-10mins, but really need to invest some proper time to catch up on everything. I know how to conjugate in theory, but I often mess up when actually speaking.
>>
>>73325549
>my vocabulary would be around 2000 words or sth.
>My biggest problem currently is grammar
These are going to be big problems. If you had been reading a lot you should have a good grasp on grammar.
And 2000 words isn't going to get you past the most basic stuff
>>
>>73325665
yeah, I hope reading will increase my learning speed; I only just started with reading texts aside from textbook stuff.
I imagine grammar will only be a matter of a couple of hours of intense learning. Or am I in the wrong here? I have all the verb forms down and so far grammar has been pretty simple (aside from uncommon particle usages). Is it going to become more intricate or difficult from now on?

I guess I'll tackle N3 for now. My goal is to do my MA in japan, maybe I'll be lucky and get a spot regardless. Or I'll have to step up my japanese game
>>
File: 0954474686efac06431c.jpg (262KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
0954474686efac06431c.jpg
262KB, 1920x1080px
>>73325889
A lot of anons underestimate the 日本語能力試験、but if you can up your vocab study and try to read as much as your time permits, you may not be ready to pass N3 but your Japanese will be a lot better. It's probably a good thing to be motivated for something the N3 or N2 because it will give your study a greater sense of tangible purpose.
One thing I would suggest it having a look at the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar Anki deck, which is linked on the djt site main page to it's special page an anon put together. It can be a powerful supplementary aid for boosting reading comprehension. Works grear in conjunction with daily reading.
>>
>>73325549
What the hell, 1 year and only 2000 words? And keeping at the same pace until December?
That will give you 4000 words at best (less, since we're already in April).

I could read Yotsuba comfortably with practically no grammar whatsoever only by knowing vocabulary, but I was around 6000 words then. That took me 10 months.

I say you start doing 20 words a day like most of DJT and then you'll have around 7k words by December, which is probably enough for N3 if you know the grammar part.
>>
>>73326388
dud 6k vocab is enough for the N2, don't overhype the N3 too much.

N3 is for the normies that "Study Japanese" at Uni and want to pretend that they're fluent.
>>
>>73326570
Ah, my bad.
Since some universities accept N3, I figured it was at least something functional.
>>
>>73326293
>>73326388
I think I have 2k vocabs 100% memorized. And then maybe another 2k-3k which are scattered across my brain and I might forget them throughout a conversation or w/e. my anki stats are somewhere around 4-5k at least, but I feel actively using vocabulary is still another level than knowing them in anki context.

But you guys are right, I definitely have to up my vocab training. I guess I'll be aiming for n3 this december.

thanks for your input!
>>
I find it funny that your average nip have no trouble saying "ti" and "di" (as in スパゲッティ and ディスコ), but is not able to abstract other sound sets like fafifufefo, si and tu. Can they even du? Never seen it, it's always kinda "dyu" sounding.
>>
oops, me once more. I'm currently rescheduling my learning schedule. I can write around 300 kanji.

Is it a good idea to stop practicing drawing kanji now? I mean, is this skill in any way useful?
I don't need it for jlpt at least. In the real world, will there be situations where I have to write out kanji by hand?
>>
>>73328443
Honestly? Probably not.
But, learning to write kanji will make you a LOT more familiar with them and probably increae your retention(So it's not useless). But it's probably not worth the time.
Long story short: Only study how to write kanji if you actually want to(Don't feel forced to do it).
>>
>>73327874
Your active vocabulary isn't as important when reading or doing the JLPT. Active vocab will always be a small portion of what you can read
>>
Working through imabi, could anyone explain this answer to one of the practice translations?

The translation must be in polite speech.

Q12, English:
To end with sadness.

My answer:
悲しみで終わります。

Correct answer:
悲しみで終わる。

He writes:
Note: Remember that the predicate function is the 終止形. -ます would change the definition.

In Q3, "You make butter with milk." is correctly translated as:
バターはミルクで作ります。
This uses the masu form, so I'm guessing 悲しみ is where the problem is coming from?

link:
http://www.imabi.net/theparticledeii.htm
>>
>>73329279
Yes, you are guessing 悲しみ is where the problem is coming from.
>>
What does a め at the end of an insult sentence mean?(Like 化け物め)
All i found was wikipedia's "Noun: abusive "damn..." "
>>73329279
Í'm not sure, but i think the english "To" form(Was it called gerund?) is always translated to the 辞書形 and -ます would change the meaning.
The second sentence is not a "to" form, it's something that's always done like that(Like, "You go to school". It should something like "To make butter with milk" for the same to apply)
But don't take my word for it, I'm not sure.
>>
>>73329459
I used to hate you PedanticBR-ちゃん, but I've slowly grown to like you. Now i can apprecciate the comedy in these posts.
>>
>>73329499
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/216439/meaning/m0u/奴/
>人や動物などをののしったり、卑しめたりするときに用いる。「ばか―」「こいつ―」
It's basically as wikipedia stated: a derogatory suffix which is used in a belittling manner, attached to names, animals, nouns.
>>
That sentence about face-control in club (guard men)
コワモテがニラんできただよっ
What does mean ニラんでき?
>>
>>73330193
睨む+来る、睨んできた
>>
are there other apps similar to lang8?
registrations are closed. It'd be cool to write japanese texts and have them corrected by other people
>>
>>73311157
thank you!
>>
又機会があれば、行って見てください

If I had the chance, I would go and see it again.

Context: talking about a trip to Kyoto where she visited a temple which she loved

Is the translation OK?
>>
>>73333873
No she is saying something like
If another opportunity comes along, please go and see it
Assuming its 行ってみてください rather than 行って見てください
>>
File: IMG_2146.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2146.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
The highlighted sentence is a question. Not a statement.
Right???
>>
File: file.png (150KB, 413x339px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
150KB, 413x339px
What does "たさ" in おまえたさ mean?
>>
>>73329279

Go here:
http://www.imabi.net/apps/forums/topics/show/8637390-lesson-19-the-particle-ni

Control+F search for "infinitive" and start reading the top result down. This is really informative stuff.. I never thought of the plain nonpast form in an infinitive way, as it just doesn't come up often in materials.

>>73322446

Ah I didn't know 脱退 had a negative bent, thanks.
>>
>>73337431
お前達

>>73335578
Yeah, I think it's a question. いつ発進するの? But I don't understand the context.
>>
>>73335578
how long have you been reading this for/how many book are there?
>>
>>73337531
>>73329499
Thanks, these explanations helped a lot.
>>
>>73334305
she wrote
行って見てください

but its probably a mistake, right?
it wouldnt make sense, would it?
>>
>>73338649
>how long
Half a year perhaps, killing time in public transport.
>there
Where?
>>
>>73341624
>Where?
I think he means how many books in total?
>>
>>73320906
Huh, I've never touched WaniKani so I didn't know.
>>
File: croc crab.jpg (54KB, 454x395px) Image search: [Google]
croc crab.jpg
54KB, 454x395px
>>73341777
>>
>>73338211
>I think it's a question
So do I.
However, the translator chose to make it a statement for some reason: "The Knights should be lauching soon."
>context
A simulated air engament against unmanned fighters (Flip Knights) is about to begin.
>>
>>73341955
>A simulated air engament against unmanned fighters (Flip Knights) is about to begin.
That sounds cool
>>
>>73341718
>in total
What kind of "total"?
How many I've read so far? Or how many lie piled up someplace unknown?
>>
>>73342118
I could be wrong but based on context he might be asking, how many books are in the series total.
>>
>会長は田中氏に決定
This sentence says, The president is Mr. Tanaka.
The last word is decision correct?

So does it mean Mr. Tanaka decided to be president or it was decided that Mr.Tanaka be president?

Why does the audio in Anki for this sentence sound angry with a raised voice?

This is the example sentence for 氏.
>>
>>73342258
>in the series
Two books, as far as I remember. Not sure though.
>>
>>73343078
How long was it before you could read a book like that?

Is the story very complicated?
>>
>>73343148
>How long
Pretty long, cause no real real effort was applied. I took my time learning the basics and kanji at my leisure. Four years perhaps...
> like that
There's really nothing to "like that" about. My reading comprehension leaves much to be desired. I manage around 3 pages a day.
>Is the story very complicated?
Having read its english version before, the story is pretty much clear to me. Reading it for the 1st time in japanese might pose certain challenge for a beginner.
>>
>>73342996

Interesting, I haven't gotten to that one yet. If the speaker is pissed off, he's probably being curt and left off the copula. It's very informal obviously, and would only be done in speaking. If Tanaka himself decided, they most liked would have put the passive する at the end.
>>
>>73342996
"〜に決定!" sounds like declared in front of many people.
>>
>京阪の丹波橋駅から乗ってきた彼女は、開いたドアから朝のラッシュの人波として流れ込んできて、そうして流れるまま、車両の真ん中あたりで吊革を待ちながら立つ僕の目の前に、来た。
I just recently started reading and this sentence is giving me a bit of trouble. I can more or less "understand" the individual clauses but I don't think I get how they fit together. I say this because I can't quite formulate a translation that sounds natural in my head. Could someone please show me how they would translate this?
>>
>>73346984
She got on at the Keihan Tambabashi Station, flowing in through the open door with the rest of the morning rush hour crowd, and then, continuing to ride the wave of people, came to a stop in front of where I stood in the middle of the car, with one of the hanging straps in my hand.
>>
>>73346984
She who (just) got on this train at Tanbabashi station on Keihan line, from the opened door, flooded into (this train) as (if) wave of people, and as was beeing flowed, (just) came in fromt of me who was standing on the middle of the car hanging on a strap.
>>
>>73347741
>>73348479
I think I understand it better now. Thank you very much.
>>
>>73322805
>>73317552
Ah, these makes sense. Thanks for the explanation you guys.
>>
Reposting because the last thread died:

I'm confused because this doesn't fit with what's on the grammar cheatsheet I use. How are にとって and にして used in this sentence?

>人類こそ我ら宇宙人にとって絶対にして不可侵な存在。 だがー
>>
>>73349319
I can read it but it's hard to explain. What does your cheatsheet say, anyway?

The "shite" is more of an emphasizer for "zettai ni" here, something that they absolutely don't do.
The "ni totte" reads - and here I might be mistaken - as something like "as for aliens".
>>
>>73349319
>にとって 《に取って》 (exp) (uk) (See 取る・1) to; for; concerning; as far as ... is concerned; regarding; (P)

>我ら宇宙人にとって
To us aliens, from our point of view as aliens

I think 絶対にして is just a more emphatic way of saying 絶対に in this situation.

>人類こそ我ら宇宙人にとって絶対にして不可侵な存在。 だがー
It is humans that, to we aliens, have an absolutely inviolable existence. And yet—
>>
File: 2017-04-08_15-39-57.png (148KB, 523x423px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-08_15-39-57.png
148KB, 523x423px
>パシャ
Could someone please tell me what this SFX is suppose to be.

http://jisho.org/search/パシャ
http://thejadednetwork.com/search/?keyword=パシャ&submitSearch=Search&x=
https://translate.google.com/#ja/en/パシャ
>>
>>73350746
From the definition, I guess something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcmbuARzsQI
>>
>>73350049
>>73350174
Okay, I see it now. I think I confused "絶対にして" for "When absolute (time of being absolute)" but both of you say it's really just 絶対に, so I'll go with that.

>What does your cheatsheet say, anyway?
I use the one in the OP site:
https://djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#にして(1)

>>73350746
>https://www.scribd.com/doc/230085225/JapaneseSFX-110424
Splash or camera flash
>>
>>73351087
Oh, I see. Thanks.

And that site looks useful. Never seen that one before.
>>
>>73349319
>絶対にして不可侵な存在

in other words
絶対で不可侵な存在

existance of 絶対 and 不可侵

other example
リンゴは赤で丸い (赤 noun)
リンゴは赤くて丸い (赤い adjective)
リンゴは赤にして丸し (赤 noun : old expression)
apple is red and round
>>
>tfw i finally understand the """suffering""" passive
feels good
>>
>>73351737
これはご勉強になりました

>屋敷は堂々として広い
と同様に
>>
Further proof that whenever someone answers that something is "emphasis" they're probably wrong
>>
>>73344335
>>73346055
面白いですね
ありがとう。
>>
>>73352066
>they're probably wrong
>they're most probably wrong
>they're probably just wrong
Most and just are there just for emphasis. Not grammatically, but semantically.
>>
>>73352234
Are you >>73350049? Do you think equating zettai nishite with zettai ni was acceptable? Even when there's emphasis involved it's usually a complete non-answer that betrays the posters lack of understanding.
>>
Does anyone know what 無知シチュ means? On twitter, I usually (only?) see it in R18-related context. There's even a hashtag. I don't get it.
>>
>>73352533
Are you by chance >>73352533? Do you somehow think equating zettai nishite with zettai ni was in any way acceptable? Even when there's some kind of emphasis involved in it, it's usually just a complete non-answer that end up betraying the poster's lack of understanding.
>>
>>73352066
I feel bad for the person I unintentionally misled, but I learned something in the process so it wasn't a total waste.
I'd much rather be wrong sometimes than be a Swede.
>>
i used to be fluent but now i suck at japanese
i need to watch anime again
>>
>>73353203
>i used to be fluent
Sure you were
>>
>>73353547
Could've been a native that moved to America when he was 8
>>
>>73352814
It could always be worse(Like, being a leaf)
>>
>>73353203
>Implying anime can help fluency
>>73353547
>Being rude
DJt is not going to get revitalized like this
>>
>>73353750
>wanting a hugbox
You have reddit for that
>>
Is dialectal やあっとる is just やっている?
>>
>>73353804
>Saying i want a hugbox
What?
>>
>>73333873
>>73334305
>>73340962
Please help
>>
>>73354295
「If you have another chance, please go and see [whatever it is they are talking about]. 」
>又機会があれば
If you still have a chance / if you have another chance / if there is still a chance / if there is another chance
>行って見て
go and see / look
>ください
please.
>>
>>73353978
yes, but usually rather やっとる than やあっとる.

やあっとる sounds like "I am dooooing".
>>
>>73354295
>>73334305 is correct.
>>
>>73333873
>又機会があれば、行って見てください
That means "If you have/get another chance, please go and see it."

The "again" should be regarding the opportunity, not the action of seeing it again. However, although the following is less literal a translation, depending on the context, you could also add the "again " to the main clause too i.e. "If you get another chance, please go and see it again"

tl;dr Your conditional clause definately needs a slight change to include the concept of "get another chance"
>>
>>73354431
Well, specifically, the line I am seeing is 聞き覚えやあっとる. Does that change anything?
>>
The fuck happened to Hakkō ichiu you fucking faggots?
>>
>>73354295
行ってみる usually means "to try to go"
and 行って見る can mean "to go and see" but when japs say "いってみる”, that means "to try to go".
again 行って見る can literally mean "to go and see"

to be honest, I might write "行って見る" for "try to see". and maybe 行って見る could not be wrong for "to go and see"
but I am not sure, though.

I just looked it up, and that says it is better to write みる for "to try".
>>
>>73354712
>Hakkō ichiu
Das racist
>>
>>73354712
love is over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3nj4y9GKmY
>>
>>73354610

probably it is like, I am hearing and remembering/learning something.

but maybe it might be "聞き覚えや あっとる?"
"I mean 'hearing and remembering'. Is this right?"

It depends on the context.
>>
>>73354446
>>73354421
>>73354545
>>73354810
thanks

>>73354545
well, its a text from a chat with a jap girl, and my nihongo sucks so i didnt get it
>>
File: 1469607524866.png (51KB, 441x651px) Image search: [Google]
1469607524866.png
51KB, 441x651px
>>73355019
Careful not to fall for the 3D meme.
>>
File: 012.jpg (879KB, 2256x3200px) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
879KB, 2256x3200px
>>73298467
Is it just my eyes or has this been enlarged with something like Waifu2x?
>>
Can I say 真似すんな! without adding a よ?
>>
>>73356317
Yes. Maybe it sounds a little harsher without the よ.
>>
>>73355218
Fear not, I wont be fooled by women. I just wanted to practice a bit and she was the first person to show up.
>>
>>73356624
I knew i could trust you fellow argentinanon!
>>
>>73356624
Is that using one of those chat/messenger apps popular in Japan or something else?
I've thought about using one of those but almost everything I ever talk about or take an interest in isn't fit for common decency and tends to offend your average person. (^_^;)
>>
File: indexx.jpg (8KB, 168x299px) Image search: [Google]
indexx.jpg
8KB, 168x299px
>>73356694
Not the same anon, but I've used HelloTalk and been able to talk a bit about silly stuff, there are quite a few nips there. Sadly I havent found any weird otaku jap person (yet)
>>
My arms hurt so much I can't do anything today!
Guess it's tIme for some compulsory comfy reading.
>>
>>73357935
What are you reading at the moment?
>>
>>73358104
O will find out soon!
Probably either Kuro or Ryushika Ryushika. Loading my new mango into my old compyuutaa so I can read on the sofa.
>>
I want a bad bitch to teach me English. That would be the only way I would learn...
>>
bad bitchってどういう意味ですか
具体的に
>>
>>73359391
She is always wearing a low cut shirt and supports me to learn English with her boobs all out.
>>
>>73359966
I want this the other way around(teaching jap)
>>
File: 1193.jpg (64KB, 511x604px) Image search: [Google]
1193.jpg
64KB, 511x604px
Ok
Let's try asking that again.
>>73323808
>>
>>73349319
in the first place, there is a way of expression of 神聖にして不可侵の存在.
その文章はこれをパクっている。"sacred and inviolable"

That sentence is translation of French charter and the sentences of old Japanese constitution includes it.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9claration_des_droits_de_l%27homme_et_du_citoyen_de_1789
La propriete etant un droit inviolable et sacre,
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charte_constitutionnelle_du_4_juin_1814
La personne du Roi est inviolable et sacree.

Humans are absolute and inviolable being.
人類は絶対にして不可侵な存在。

宇宙人は alien でいいのかな。。
In that sentence, Earthling is one of spaceling tho

Humans are absolute and inviolable being for us aliens. (?)
>>
that is written in ancient written Japanese as follows originally.
神聖ニシテ侵スベカラズ/神聖にして不可侵

Actually, Japanese also don't understand that sentence, so that may be mixed between old writing and present writing probably.

要するに翻訳語だから不安定な文章ってこと。
"神聖"も"絶対の存在"も、そもそも意味がよくわからんもん。…説明できん
>>
File: 1466201309571.png (1MB, 1172x1668px) Image search: [Google]
1466201309571.png
1MB, 1172x1668px
>>73358175
Went with 45 Funkan no Mahoutsukai.
Nagisa a best! I want to be nadenaded too!

Three hours, only 3 chapters (84 pages) read. Sad!
>>
How many new anki cards do you guys learn a day?
>>
>http://増殖難読漢字辞典.com/honbun/zoukan-555a.html
>>
>>73361350
>【孳孳】しし
I have never seen it before and I will not see it forever.
>>
>>73357319
HelloTalk is for normalfags who can't even get past N4. There are many places to look for, especially sites infested with Japs like Niconico or Pixiv.
>>
>>73361404
>I will not see it forever
I know, but it's an interesting read. Zoushoku Nandoku is useful when you meet kanji that's outside of jouyou kanji or kanji that isn't found in any dictionary.
>>
>>73360950
Good stuff man. If you enjoy that, there may be a few other series not in the 四コマ format among these I'm assembling that you'll enjoy.
Uploading the last of the volumes which could be found online so after that it is a slow buyfagging process. That's okay, going to add genre and format columns to the first two pages of that spreadsheet so if any anon wants to browse, it gives them some easier selection references. Looking at covers only tells you so much.
>>
Will Japs care if I say the English version of fucked up English words?
>>
>>73361428
I thought you could only post on videos on niconico, you can talk with other people there?
>>
>>73361500
They have sections for images, manga, novels, etc.
>>
>>73361500
You don't go to demonstrations just to give the police a can of Pepsi. You should join the discussions or share ideas to the people.
>>
Also can someone please explain how it is this word is used, and what it is used for?

そう
>>
>>73361719
Literally the word 'so' in English.

>that is so

>そうですね
>that is so isn't it

Read more and you will understand
>>
>>73361791
The way it is used in the anki deck just confused the shit out of me.
>>
>>73361806
Things like そう and こう will be easily picked up once you start reading more (assuming you aren't already)
>>
>>73361350
>増殖難読漢字辞典.com
WHAT THE FUCK, SINCE WHEN CAN SITES BE IN CHINK?
>>
>>73361719
>>73361806
Another way to think about it:
そう:それ (that)
こう:これ (this)
If you can relate them to the above they can make more sense. Think of them as kind of abstract versions. I'm guessing you are referring to one of the Core decks in Anki, so I'll use their example sentences.
そう:私もそう思います。
>That's what I think too.
Notice how the English translation provided uses "that", similar to それ (that)?
こう:こう小さい字は読めない。
>I can't read such small letters.
Here is slightly different but it has the same sort of principle as これ, as in (this): I can't read small letters like (this). It is referring to the nature or state of something directly, as though it were close to the speaker. そう is referring to the thing like それ、as though it were close to the listener, as in it is what they have said that the speaker is responding to in saying they also think (that).

It's not a 1:1 or anything, but it might help get our head around the terms a little more as you see them used while reading, listening, etc.
>>
File: 1415479021753.jpg (12KB, 274x257px) Image search: [Google]
1415479021753.jpg
12KB, 274x257px
>>73362554
はじめよう.みんな
>>
>>73362950
Doesn't that break the Geneva Convention or something?
Emoji URLs when?
>>
>>73363042
.ws
>>
Fuck, 4chan eats it up. Maybe this:
https://xn--qeiaa.ws
>>
File: 132019781571.jpg (12KB, 220x193px) Image search: [Google]
132019781571.jpg
12KB, 220x193px
>>73363803
Disgusting, I want a nuclear winter. With EMPs.
>>
>>73364038
I want to register (´・ω・`).com but those top level domains don't allow it. (´・ω・`)
>>
>>73361499
They're not "fucked up English words". They are officially part of the Japanese language. Use the Japanese language.
>>
>>73361477
I agree.
that is interesting.
thank you for teaching me that.

Japanese script's history is one of the conflict between increasing kanji and literacy rate improvement.
And most Japanese ourselves also don't know that history much.
https://www.slideshare.net/KanjiNetworks/kanji-abolition
>>
>>73364201
This dude is so butthurt it's not even funny.
He should become friends with the Australian tripfag, so they can both feed each other kanji etymology while avoiding buckling up and learning the damn language.
>>
>>73364766
kanji is sometimes useful.

this is an old korean newspaper with kanji.
uncle mustache appeared.
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/kaikaihanno/imgs/b/8/b8ed3405.jpg

that is understandable for us somewhat.
uncle mustache went a border between Australia and Kiwi-land for an inspection by car and he was attacked by kangaroos.
his subordinates got hurt.

and this is a Zhong-guo's newpaper.
it's clear as if it's Japanese language.
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/dreampark1/imgs/8/7/879c6bc6.jpg
>>
>>73362554
Long time ago
>>
>>73364766
>This dude is so butthurt
>He should become friends with the Australian tripfag
Excuse me?

>>73365030
>kanji is sometimes useful.
>sometimes
Since when is kanji not useful inside Japan? Unless you're a foreigner, then kanji isn't very useful since traffic and warning signs have English translation.
>>
File: ss-04.jpg (47KB, 400x214px) Image search: [Google]
ss-04.jpg
47KB, 400x214px
>>73365369
The more many country's people use kanji, the more that is useful.
Because kanji is emoji for the normalization of words.
The reason why traffic and warning signs in Japan have English translation is that Japanese use English so less that foreigners can't live in Japan.
>>
>>73365883
>use English so less that foreigners can't live in Japan.
羨ましいなぁ
>>
File: 1478037461261.jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1478037461261.jpg
47KB, 645x968px
>tfw too stupid to understand how Anki works

I just have no idea what is happening in this program
>>
>>73367041
You just click a bunch of buttons to make cards appear on your digital screen.
It also works in coordination with the mystical force known as the internet.
>>
File: 1402894005047.jpg (48KB, 693x720px) Image search: [Google]
1402894005047.jpg
48KB, 693x720px
>>73323808
>>73360549
Still trying.
>>
>>73369663
omowaku
>>
>>73367041
Some people expect that anki judges whether they know a word/card or not by itself, kind of like Wanikani does using input from the user, but you have to make that assessment yourself, and try to be honest doing so.
>>
>>73369817
Thks!
>>
>>73352562
Not sure if you're maymaying or not, but 一応マジレスしておく

It means sexually abusing a child or someone that is sexually oblivious, like お嬢様 characters.
>>
>>73330307
That 睨んできた is not understanding.
What role 来る did here?
>>
>>73371509
Oh, i got.
Process get starts
>>
Does Steve respond to emails? I wanna ask him some stuff
>>
How do you study grammar? I'm on the first two chapters of Kaizen Master N3 and this seems impossible to memorize. I had classes before, so it was easy.
>>
>>73374928
>How do you study grammar?
By reading more
>>
>>73370666
Oh, so it is literally taking advantage of a "situation in which one is ignorant (especially sexually)".

I wasn't maymaying. My confusion was from both the term ("ignorant situation" doesn't make sense to me in english), plus the fact that sometimes, I saw it got used like こいつは無知シチュ(だ).
>>
File: Flat earthers.png (13KB, 663x457px) Image search: [Google]
Flat earthers.png
13KB, 663x457px
flat earthers btfo
>>
>>73376753
地球が丸ければ、なんで地平線は平たいと線と書かれますか⁉
>>
File: IMG_20170315_0017.png (113KB, 157x335px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170315_0017.png
113KB, 157x335px
>恋人
>モノ
this kind of shit always annoys me the fuck out, which one is the intended meaning?
>>
>>73377657
The kana is what they actually say out loud, the kanji is the meaning.
>>
>>73377424
>地球が丸ければ、なんで地平線は平たいと線と書かれますか⁉
The answer is either going to be when I get to the word, "horizon", if it's in the 6k deck.
>>
>>73377944
but is that always the case, or are there cases where it's inverted?
>>
>生かす, take advantage of, make use of

I used this in the context of take advantage of and the Japanese person I was speaking with had no idea what I was talking about.

She said 利用する worked better. Am I missing something with Anki's translation?
>>
>>73378638
>生かす,
it's to make use of, it's not used for people. if you get Rikaisama and hover over it you'll see。

you can make use of your skills, etc. you're not "using" your skills.
example from Jisho: 心停止のかんじゃ患者をおうきゅうしょち応急処置でい生かした。We used emergency measures to revive the cardiac arrest patient.
>>
>>73379049
Thank you for clarification and advice.
>>
>中出し
What does it mean?
>>
>>73379769
It's a traditional dish, you can ask for it at several restaurants.
>>
>>73378365
http://kido-ari.hatenablog.com/entry/2016/12/06/231633

>マンガのセリフで、「本気」と書いてあって「マジ」と書いてあった場合、キャラクターが音として発声しているのはどちらの言葉でしょうか?
In manga dialogue, when a word is written 本気 with the furigana マジ, which word is the character actually saying out loud?
>通常は、キャラクターが音として発声しているのは「マジ」であり、「本気」はその意味を読者に説明するために書いてあるのだと思います。
Normally, the word the character is pronouncing would be マジ, and the word 本気 would only be written to explain the meaning to the reader.
>>
>>73382469
But there are cases where the opposite is true, especially when the furigana is written in kanji.
>他方、「アシバー」と書いて「遊び人」のルビ、「ギミック」と書いて「仕掛け」のルビ、「特商法」と書いて「特定商取引法」のルビがふられていることがあります。
On the other hand, アシバー might be written with the furigana 遊び人, or ギミック with the furigana 仕掛け, or 特商法 with 特定商取引法.
>これらの場合は、通常とは逆に、各キャラクターが音として発声しているのは、本文の言葉であり、ルビの方が意味内容を表しているのではないかと思います。
In this situation, contrary to normal, it's tempting to think that the word the character is pronouncing out loud is the original word, while the furigana represents the meaning.
>似たようなケースでは、ドリフターズにおいて、主人公島津豊久が音として発声しているであろう薩摩弁が本文に記載され、それを標準語に翻訳(?)したものがルビになっています。
In a similar case, in "Drifters," the main character Shimazu Toyohisa's dialogue in Satsugu-ben, which it is safe to assume he's actually speaking, with a standard Japanese translation written in furigana.
>>
>>73382518
In other cases it's unclear.
>ルビについて気になることがもう一点。
There is one more point about furigana that interests me.
>本文とルビの意味がほとんど関係ないパターンです。
That is the situation where there appears to be almost no relation between the main text and the furigana.
>例えば、ハンターハンターにおける「神の左手悪魔の右手(ギャラリーフェイク)。
For example, the word 神の左手悪魔の右手 written with the furigana ギャラリーフェイク in Hunter x Hunter.
>盗賊の極意(ハンターズスキル)などは意訳の範囲でしょうが、ギャラリーフェイクに至っては、ルビと本文がほとんど関係ない、というか別のマンガ2作品のタイトルです。
Something like 盗賊の極意 with furigana ハンターズスキル might be within the realm of a liberal translation, but when it comes to "Gallery Fake," there seems to be no relation between the two—or rather, they sound like the titles of two separate manga series.
>念能力という固有名詞なので、何でもアリといえばアリですが、あの世界のキャラクターはルビの部分を発声しているのか、本文の部分まで含めて自分で考えているのか、本文の部分は他人に伝えてるのか、などよく分からない部分です。
Since the name of a superpower is a proper noun, you might be able to argue that anything goes, but it's hard to say whether the characters in that world say the furigana out loud, or whether they consider the meaning of the main text at all, or whether that meaning gets conveyed to the other characters in any way.
>>
In English, how would you phrase it if someone is described as 家族ぐるみでの付き合いがある?
>>
>>73354990
「あっとる?」 can mean "Is this right?" ?
>>
>>73385860
I'm guessing it comes from
当てる
>>
>>73384027

One who is close/is devoted to their family, probably.
>>
>>73386735
It's 合ってる
http://thesaurus.weblio.jp/content/%E5%90%88%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A6%E3%81%84%E3%82%8B
>誤りではなく、むしろ当たっているさま
>正しい
> 間違っていない
>正解だ
>>
>>73386895
Oh, OK. Makes sense.
>>
Is Rikai-Kun for Chrome really that bad? I use Chromium on my Linux laptop because it's slightly more responsive than Firefox is.
>>
>>73391279
I'm using Yomichan. It's pretty cool.
>>
>>73391374
I'm looking at its GitHub page right now, seems really good. Thanks a bunch.
>>
Timely バンプ.
>>
>>73365369
>Excuse me?
I was talking about the guy who wrote the essay, amigo.

>>73365030
>and this is a Zhong-guo's newpaper.
C-chinese with kana? What does this mean?

>>73376051
You're doing better than me, I thought it was "Ignorant Stew", then with Papadopoulos explanation it became somehow a "Stew" of innocent children, like an orgy or something.
If there is still some conflict in your mind because "Situation" isn't exactly an adjective, just think how "He's a Lolicon" makes like sense as well, since "He is a Lolita Complex" mixes wrong classes of words. But they don't care. Context is king.
>>
File: 129798.jpg (22KB, 300x304px) Image search: [Google]
129798.jpg
22KB, 300x304px
>>73395665
yeah
this is a mystery of four thousands-years of history in china.
>>
昨日、映画館で「君の名は」を見た。素晴らしかった、大好きだった。
>>
>>73396390
私も見てみます。
レンタルショップで借りて来る :)
>>
>>73396310
中國區域 → 中国地方
Nice.
>>
>>73396457
いいねー…

およそ10年前に、ネットフリクスは始まったからレンタルショップはほぼ全部潰れた…
>>
>>73396390
話も良いが、映像が凄く美しいね。
映画館で観れて良かったと思ってる。
>>
File: gay.png (16KB, 728x376px) Image search: [Google]
gay.png
16KB, 728x376px
That ni deceived me. I don't exactly know what to ask, but can somebody explain this construction?
>>
>>73398515

It's like てもらう; the agent of the action, the one that is to do what the subject wants, becomes is marked with に.

http://jisho.org/search/%22%E3%81%A6%E3%81%BB%E3%81%97%E3%81%84%22%20%23sentences
>>
>>73398705
Ahh, so the ni connects with the "hoshii"? That'd make sense, although it's kinda awkward.
>>
>>73398515
>あなたは私にそれを繰り返してほしいの?
Do you want me to repeat that?

>あなたはそれを繰り返したいの?
Do you want to repeat that?

>私はしたい
I want to do it

>あなたにしてほしい
I want you to do it
>>
Is there a difference between そんな事はしてない and そんな事をしてない?
>>
>>73400093
thing wasn't done
that thing wasn't done
を will emphasis the thing, so i thought
>>
>>73400093
To me it sounds like
- I don't do such thing(s).
- I don't do that.

First is general, second is about a specific thing.
>>
I was reading 「https://www.berrys-cafe.jp/pc/book/n1229855/51/」and I am confusing about the line 「そんなに嫌がんなくてもいいのによ」 (ctrl-f it). It seems to me like it shouldn't have なく in this context, but it does, which seems like the opposite it should be to me. So what does that part mean?
>>
>>73401569

"(you/me/etc) need not hate (it) so much, and yet.."

Something like that doesn't make sense in the context? I'd read more into the text but frankly it would take too much effort and I've done enough studying today lol. Could you provide some background on what this is?
>>
What are /DJT/'s study habits, methods and tips? I never studied in high school, so I have awful study habits, no methods etc.
>>
File: kanji-radicals-1-2-strokes-copy.jpg (81KB, 610x450px) Image search: [Google]
kanji-radicals-1-2-strokes-copy.jpg
81KB, 610x450px
I was googling for a representative picture of how radicals work and found this.
It makes me sad and nihilistic.
>>
>>73401569
He's saying "You don't need to act like this is so awful." As in, don't make a big deal out of it.
>>
File: v01.png (201KB, 1280x5000px) Image search: [Google]
v01.png
201KB, 1280x5000px
>>73402695
- Analyze what is there to learn;
- Chose which part you want to tackle first;
- Decide a timeframe;
- Adjust lessons to fit this timeframe;
- Bear in mind if you don't stick with it, you are just hurting the next steps.

I am doing an infograph on that, just opened it up to keep brushing. This is its current (and unfinished) state.
>>
>>73402814
Thank you very much, anon. I'l use this.
>>
I just spent about 20 minutes writing a post on 2ch but it wouldn't let me submit it because of my ip. Probably for the best, it wasn't a very good post.
>>
>>73403117
dont give up
you can still shitpost if you try!
>>
>>73403139

Thank you, that means a lot coming from an australian
>>
Is it customary to adopt a Japanese name or let Japs struggle to pronounce your name? For example, Christopher would go on to become Kurisu. Should I just let them butcher it?
>>
今日和今日みんなげんきですか?
>>
>>73403946
My friend was called João and nobody in the US could ever get his name right.
After much struggle, to a point where some people were calling him "Yo Ho", he just decided to go by "John".

Kurisu is quite bearable, can you imagine being called something like Volleyball, which gets mangled to Bareebooru?
>>
File: v02.png (2MB, 1280x10000px) Image search: [Google]
v02.png
2MB, 1280x10000px
By the way, v2 of the chart is done, feedback is appreciated.
(Although this post kills the thread, I'll repost in the next one if v3 is not yet done).
>>
>>73404455
>João
How do you pronounce that?
>>
>>73404505
More importantly, how do YOU pronounce it? Vocaroo it and I'll give you the answer.
>>
>>73404520
Don't have a mic.
My wild guess is something like "/dʒ/wa"
>>
>>73404559
Oh, not bad. https://forvo.com/word/joão/#pt
Thing is the sound is not present in English, so it's like trying to teach an average Nip to say your name with an L instead of R.
>>
>>73404503
漢検一級 covers around 6000 - not 3000 - kanji.
>>
>>73404503
Never mind, misread.
>>
>>73403946
>For example, Christopher would go on to become Kurisu. Should I just let them butcher it?
Is it really butchering the name? Christopher is an English word version of Χριστόφορος, just as how クリス is a Japanese word version of Chris. If you look at this way, it isn't really much ado about anything.
When it comes down to it I much prefer クリス to either クリストファー or クリスチャン, which is what Japanese have roughly tried to say when handling "Christopher". Then again I don't like the full name anyway, but that's neither here or there.
They are going to say クリス even if we may want them to say "Chris", so do you want to fight the tide or accept the language? Here is a little on the inevitable:
https://laits.utexas.edu/japanese/joshu/tables/table_katakana_names.php?l=c
>Chris: クリス
>Christopher: クリストファー
Here is an overview by Tofugu. His Japanese teaching stuff may be gimmicky but the often has decent enough short articles on stuff Japanese related.
https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/your-name-in-japanese/

As an aside, in Japan itself if you are staying, official documentation such as your gaijin card requires romanised names.
A link, because my connection is fucked at the moment and trying to upload keeps throwing connection errors:
http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/tetuduki/image/zairyucard_omote.jpg
>>
>>73404654
The ending sounds so peculiar. Almost like there's a bit of an 'n' or some other nasal sound. Is that sound even present in Central American Spanish or is it exclusive to Portuguese?
>>
>>73404654
Sounds kind of like ジョアオウ.
>>
>>73404503
Under 'Through Vocabulary' what do you mean by 'You will have to get at this later down the road'? I don't think anyone does that.
>>
>>73404727
Exclusive. These extra nasal vowels ã ê õ ô make it hard for Spanish speakers to understand as much of spoken Portuguese as Portuguese speakers understand of spoken Spanish.

>>73404763
Our J is what じ should sound like by following tenten's logic, but instead Japanese say じ like ぢ.

>>73404798
If you intend to write, it's a must.
If you just intend to read, then you will still have to occasionally make some individual kanji studies, if only to help differentiating between similar ones. For instance, the many forms of 犠儀議 or what's the difference between 治る and 直る.
Agreed? Or how can I put it in a less misleading/confusing way?
>>
>>73404904
above the ◯ and X under the Mnemonics, Vocabulary, Etymology, etc. if there was listed a reference to learning materials such as Core, RTK, whatever, it could clear up any confusion over what it being referred to when something like
>You will have to get back at this later down the road
is stated. That aside, have you thought about putting a webpage together with this, similar to the DoJG page linked on the djt front page? If you provided this format but with hyperlinks to the related resources to follow the guide, it could be an /int/ version of the below linked secondary guide made by someone on /jp/, as I think it is better than the /jp/ version by fiat of being less opinionated:
https://compellingcontent.neocities.org/
>>
>>73405091
I'll think of something

>website
I know nothing about HTML, but if anyone wants to help, let's do this.
I just want to keep the graphical part as is, in terms of data visualization and flowcharts.

The intro already shows a flowchart, but later on I will have a "planning your study" session with several routes and bars and maybe pie charts.
>>
>>73404904
Those are almost always used in compounds, so I don’t think you’d /have/ to learn them individually. There are some like 鞄靴鞘.

I think the main disadvantage of learning solely through vocabulary is that you could have a situation where a word won’t stick, so it would be good to be flexible with the use of mnemonics.
>>
>>73405383
Or even a pdf, something that isn't in image form and can be used in a practical manner for beginners using it as a reference for study, such as >>73403011.
>>
>>73405490
I'm doing everything on Fireworks (a 2004 version at it), but I can later convert it into a PSD, open it on Photoshop and convert it into a PDF.

As for HTML, no idea. Although with a PDF it would just be a matter of Ctrl+Cing and Ctrl+Ving the text blocks.
>>
File: 1491623707247.png (132KB, 320x427px) Image search: [Google]
1491623707247.png
132KB, 320x427px
>>73404715
its not a problem by itself, my name is chris
my last name however, is irish and has an L in it, when put in reverse(last name first) in the normal japanese way, my name is fucking merry christmas
shits not fair
>>
In New Zealand we don't even use whiteboards anymore, the lecturers face the class and handwrite on paper and a camera projects the text onto the screen. And yet Japan universities still use blackboards. I thought the time difference was 3 hours not 100 years.
>>
>>73405691
https://youtu.be/by7WqdAbf04?t=60
>>
>>73405691
>its not a problem by itself, my name is chris
So is mine.
>my last name however, is irish
My family name comes from a variant of one of the first Irish clans (Scotti) to set up a home settlement in Scotland, apparently.
There can only be one, nigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs
>>
>>73405762
I don't see how this camera thing is better than a white board (for students), how do I Google this shit?

Also I had a few classes with blackboards back in college, mostly from hardcore old Math teachers who preferred them.
>>
>>73405762
>the lecturers face the class and handwrite on paper and a camera projects the text onto the screen
As in those projectors we used to use in high school?
>>
File: thumb_400_1_px400[1].jpg (6KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_400_1_px400[1].jpg
6KB, 400x267px
>>73405914
It's essentially a digital version of that.
>>
>>73405896
It's way better, you can hear much easier when the teacher is talking directly to you instead of facing the whiteboard, and their handwriting is a lot neater when they're writing normally.
>>
>>73406168
Fancy as fuck. Much better than the old standard projector with a power point presentation.
>>
>>73299646
>the only solution to "revive" them would be to merge with /jp DJT. but i doubt anyone would want that
I still don't get it.
We were using the same thread on /a/, but after splitting up into /jp/ and /int/ we started the stupid shitflinging.
Why can't we get along and unite again?

t. someone that browses both threads
>>
Context: two girl, who want go to a bar.
女だけでぼったくられない
What does mean ぼったくられない?
If i understand correctly, that ぼったくり + られない
But i can't formulate this
>>
>>73364169
I got a question regarding loanwords.
I was watching an anime a while ago and they were using a lot of loanwords, way more than I ever saw before.
They were using the Japanese pronounciation and all.

I know loanwords are part of the language, but is it possible that some people use tons of English words (Japanese pronounciation though) just to sound cool, words you wouldn't usually find in a Japanese dictionary?

I know this is a thing for Germans, we got french/english loanwords for example which everyone knows, but kids often use some English words (that no one else knows unless they speak english) to sound cooler.
>>
>>73407399
Well, after the split you can clearly see the difference between two userbases from these threads. It's mainly 2 or 3 retards over /jp/ who make the threads have a totally different atmosphere, but they have mods on their side, so it's an effect strong enough that I wouldn't want /int/'s DJT to dissipate.

I too frequent both threads, but /jp/ proves time and time again it would be /a/ on a bad day every day.
Thread posts: 339
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.