[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask an American EMT anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Burger.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Burger.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Few things off the bat:
I currently make $13.71 an hour
I work for a private ambulance company concracted to fulfill 911 services
I'm currently in school to become a Paramedic in which I can expect to make $50,000ish a year starting out
>>
>>73227878
uh

I dunno, got any interesting stories?
>>
why do you think people care
>>
>>73227878
Enjoy burning out lad

Ironically, I'm currently sitting in my EMT class doing medical and trauma patient assessment lab for the 3rd time
>>
>>73227878
Not really, I drive old people around most the time
>>73227908
You cared enough to reply
>>73227933
Don't forget your ABC's
>>
File: 1491355405703.png (11KB, 333x496px) Image search: [Google]
1491355405703.png
11KB, 333x496px
>>73227878
How much of that is taxed?
>>
>>73227878
>I currently make $13.71 an hour
what the utter fuck. bet your employer bills like a grand/manhour or something silly, too.
dog bless :DD
>>
>>73227965
it's not that interesting
>>
>>73227987
Roughly %25. I make enough to pay the bills and put beer in my fridge. I couldn't start a family on this wage. Been working a lot less though since school started so I'm on a tight budget.
>>73228033
Yeah, it could be more. An EMT certification is not hard to get though and in a large city there are plenty of EMTs to go around. So you take what you can get. Paramedics on the other hand are in short supply so much so that companies are coming into our class and offering signing bonuses upon partial completion of the course. Pay still sucks though.
>>73228052
Jew.
>>
REQUESTING ALS ASSISTANCE
>>
13.71 an hour dam how do you survive bro
>>
Any motorcycle accidents?
>>
>>73227878
Do you let niggers die on propose?
>>
SCENE SAFETY
BSI
HOW MANY PATIENTS
WHAT IS THE MECHANISM OF INJURY
DO I NEED ASSISTANCE
C SPINE
STATE GENERAL IMPRESSION OF PATIENT
DETERMINE RESPONSIVENESS LEVEL
DETERMINE CHIEF COMPLAINT AND APPARENT LIFE THREATS
ABC
VITALS
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS, ALLERGIES, MEDICATIONS, PAST HISTORY, LAST ORAL INTAKE, EVENTS LEADING UP TO EVENT
ONSET, PROVACATION, QUALITY, RADIATION, SEVERITY, TIME
ASSESS APPROPRIATE BODY SYSTEMS
STATE GENERAL IMPRESSION
VERBALIZE APPROPRIATE INTERVENTIONS AND TREATMENTS
STATE WHEN AND HOW OFTEN PATIENT IS REASSESSED
VERBALIZE REPORT TO ARRIVING AMBULANCE CREW
>>
>>73228189
>tfw I'm going to be ALS soon
>>73228233
It's enough money to live on, not extravagantly or anything
>>73228261
I've seen one. The guy laid it out and slid into a curb, broken wrist and some road rash, otherwise fine. I only work 5-6 911 shifts a month. I mostly do Inter-facility transports which is way more boring.
>>73228274
Not usually
>>
How much should I tip you when, let's say, I have a generic polytrauma from a car accident?
>>
>>73228316
That's not the right order nigga. They must have changed the skill sheets. I took the class 4 years ago. I heard they don't make you guys do Kings and Combi-Tubes anymore??
>>73228370
I'll just take whatever I feel is appropriate from your wallet when I gather your information
>>
>>73228433
This is for New York State so some things are different

And idk what kings and combi tubes are so I guess we don't have to do them
>>
>>73228524
Yeah a few things looked different. They are airway devices. Think they might actually be unique to oregons scope for EMTs
>>
>>73227878
How many dead kids have you seen?
Most horrific call?

We used to have these threads pretty frequently on /k/ and paramedics always had traumatizing stories to tell.
>>
>>73228772

No dead kids yet. I did have a shift with two pediatric sexual assaults though. I didn't have much patient interaction in those cases because I'm not the lead paramedic and law enforcement limits unnecessary patient contacts, but those calls are never fun. As mentioned before though maybe %20 of the shifts I work are 911, the rest if non-emergency transport, so I haven't had the chance to see too much crazy stuff yet.
>>
what's the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic
>>
>>73229003
The amount of schooling really. Paramedics have a much larger scope of practice and freedom with their protocols. They can give several types drugs including narcotics, and paralytics. We can perform minor surgeries as needle decompression and Cricothyrotomys. In general paramedics can bemore aggressive in their treatment plans. EMT's usually work as assistants to paramedics. They are glorified first aid card holders.
>>
Well the thread is dead. Going to go play CS:GO
>>
>>73227878
Does that include tips?
>>
>>73229755
>belgian health minister
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.