[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Austria-Hungary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: austria-hungary, 1910.png (305KB, 775x599px) Image search: [Google]
austria-hungary, 1910.png
305KB, 775x599px
What was it like living in these regions while this Empire still existed? How is it remembered today? What kinds of things are still left over from it?
>>
Shameless self-bump
>>
File: trianon noose.gif (45KB, 538x333px) Image search: [Google]
trianon noose.gif
45KB, 538x333px
>>73175300
Hungary is so small lol
>>
Idk senpai people who lived during those times are super fkn old right now and dont use 4chan.

Fun fact last 4 generations of my family were all born in different coubtry despite not moving at all
>>
>>73175300
Could Austria and Slovenia ever unite?
>>
>>73177675
Why would they?
>>
>>73177931
Slovenia gets money and Austria gets sea access, I guess.
>>
>>73178004
>Slovenian sea access meme

Italy controls all the relevant ports in Trieste.
>>
>>73178182
So why don't Austria and Italy unite?
>>
>>73177675
Yes, if Slovenia re-establishes Yugoslavia and we all gang up on the Nazis.
>>
File: briddish.jpg (1MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
briddish.jpg
1MB, 5000x5000px
>>73178245
Because that would be a shitshow
>>
>>73178451
Because today's Europe isn't a shitshow. Yeah, right.
>>
>>73178182
Slovenia has the Port of Koper which handles all shipping to and from the country though. However Slovenia currently doesn't have access to the open sea in a technical sense because of Croatia's claims on Slovenian waters.
>>
>>73178608
>Get independent
>Butthurt because lost land to Croatia
>>
>>73178182
>Italy controls all the relevant ports in Trieste.
>all the relevant ports
> in Trieste

jesus
>>
>>73178910
Ravenna is part of Slovenia? I thought that was a Roman city. Pic related.
>>
>>73178251
Keep your hands off Croatia
>>
>>73178854
I'm not butthurt. In fact, I think it serves the self-righteous assholes who liberated us right for their naive attitude towards Croatia to backfire on them. Serves them right for a) being "punk" and "peacenik" and "progressive" and b) thinking Croats would be, are or have ever been our allies.
>>
>>73179107
It lists five different ports of which Koper is the only Slovene port. The latter three are italian, the last one is croatian. It shows how much share of transshipment has each port in the north Adriatic sea (i.e. irrelevancy).
>>
>>73179280
od kod si stari?
>>
Is a single person going to actually respond to the OP question?
>>
>What was it like living in these regions while this Empire still existed?
10/10 if you disregard nationalistic issues

>How is it remembered today?
10/10

>What kinds of things are still left over from it?
pretty much everything kuk built
>>
>>73179331
Hmm. I see.

I think you guys and Italy and the others should be part of one empire (but not the EU)
>>
>>73179371
Iz Ljubljane. Zakaj?
>>
>>73175300
extremely poverty, but huge rise of culture
top tier architecture
>>
>>73179417
živel sem v Mariboru, jako mi je bilo všeč
>>
>>73175300
>>73179380

We still have railroads from the time of Austria-Hungary. They built the entire infrastructure in the late 19th century to get sea and port access but the country fell apart at the end of 1st world war. It brought the rule of law and from what I've gathered, some attribute our bloodless secession from Yugoslavia in a small way to the legislative and "law-culture".

The memory is kinda alright, but it got tainted during the WW2 after Germany invaded us and in later Yugoslav era where everything German/Austrian is bad due to the perception they always wanted our clay and commie logic that foreign influence and property is evil.

Personally I think our time in Austria Hungary was a great boon to us.

>>73179405
Too much bad blood between us m8. We don't really get along, but we don't exactly hate each other. Both of our countries just leave each other alone nowadays.
>>
>>73179613
*zelo mi je bilo všeč

lepo, da si se potrudil z jezikom

jaz se tudi polagoma trudim naučiti vašega, tako da obiskujem /ex-yu/
>>
>>73179331
What's behind the steady increase of Koper's share?
>>
File: ljubljana.jpg (636KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
ljubljana.jpg
636KB, 849x565px
>>73179722
I was astounded from pictures of Ljubljana how much like Vienna it looks. More like Vienna meets Prague, actually, but they obviously left quite an architectural footprint everywhere they went.
>>
>>73180284
labour exploitation imo

>>73180535
what were you expecting, Sarajevo? lmao
>>
>>73180644
no, of course not, maybe something a bit more mediterranean though.
>>
Hell of a good time.
>>
File: 1485458709845.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1485458709845.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>73180983
Empire is a hell of a drug, son...

... one hell of a drug
>>
>>73180983
>get all the benefits of being imperial arseholes
>never get blamed for it outside of a few Slovaks because your name was last in the country name
it must be good to be a Magyar, next time we do ours we'll try calling it Scotland-England instead of Great Britain, since technically they took our throne, not the other way around.
>>
>>73180535
A lot of it is this guy's fault https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C5%BEe_Ple%C4%8Dnik
>>
>>73178251
>>73178182
>>73177931
Ports can be built by clever Austrians and Slovenia has a long history with Austria.
>>
File: Emona-Copy.jpg (104KB, 399x401px) Image search: [Google]
Emona-Copy.jpg
104KB, 399x401px
>>73181823
best architect ever, I'm sure the Romans would be thrilled to see him updating their tradition
>>
>>73180284
I think the rising share can be mostly attributed to the port's neutrality. It's a bit of tech mumbo jumbo, but the gist of it is really that a port can offer a concession (right to offload) to any of the foreign firms, so the port prioritizes their cargo ships first and then others. So Italians gave concession to some Chinks and others, Croatians did the same while Koper remained neutral. It doesn't prioritize as long as everyone pays the regular tolls and such such and because ships can't unload in other ports due to longer waiting times, they naturally pick the best port in the vicinity.

>>73180535
Yeah, they left their architectural footprint a lot, so much that they inspired an architect of our own, Jože Plečnik, who went on to design buildings all across the AO and later Yugoslavia. To be honest I haven't dig into his history a lot, but he's regarded as one of the most iconic Slovenes of the 19/20 century.

Another great aspect of Austro - Hungary was widespread adoption of education programs for all children. Elementary school was mandatory for everyone under the request of Maria Theresa. Her personal opinion was that illiterate farmers aren't a good thing for the monarchy. Bureaucracy (in the good meaning of the word) was expanded to the far reaches of the state, the first public census was carried out under their rule. She outlawed some remnants of barbarism, taxed the nobility, literally introduced the potato to the populace, improved the economy etc.. Great time desu.
>>
>>73181998
Maria Theresa really seemed like a genuinely great monarch. From everything I've heard I can see why she's so much revered than all the others.
>>
I'd like to answer, but the hordes of ex-minority bullshit spewed makes me not want to cut through tonns of made up shit.
>>
Well life in Galicia was pretty shit. It was one of the poorest regions in the Empire, since it bordered Russia and Austrians didn't invest much money into it because they realized that in case of war they would most likely lose it.

They heavily fortified Kraków though, ironically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krak%C3%B3w_Fortress

However, in terms of culture - Austria was the most liberal out of three countries that occupied Poland since late 18th century. They allowed Polish language in schools, Polish officials and politicians to rule the local societies and in general, Galicia had a huge amount of autonomy. Lot of important Polish national writers and artists lived and worked in there.

Besides, pretty much what >>73179429 said.
>>
File: 1472249919865.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472249919865.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
Good thread 2bh lads
>>
>>73184420
Indeed. Enlightened absolutism really was a blessing for the brief time it persisted across Europe. Sometimes I wonder how things might have played out differently if AH wouldn't have dissolved in 1918.
>>
>>73184688
>However, in terms of culture - Austria was the most liberal out of three countries that occupied Poland since late 18th century.
Yeah, from what I see from most Poles on the topic is basically "they were our oppressors, but they were our best oppressors". Apparently Maria Theresa opposed the partition too, but only got involved because letting Prussia and Russia have all the land would be suicide.
>>
>>73175300
Austrian emperor actually refused twice to get himself crowned as king of Bohemia, believing that as Emperor he simply inherited the title. And the Czechs never forgave the Austrians, that Bohemia and Moravia got relegated to mere Austrian regions.

But we still inherited the industry of fallen empire, and for a bit became one of the most developed countries in the world.
>>
>>73185778
>they were our oppressors, but they were our best oppressors
That being said, it's only because their empire was extremely multicultural, so almost every nation inhabiting it got autonomy to some extent.
>>
>What kinds of things are still left over from it?

You have a ridiculously pompous former imperial capital city that just seems entirely misplaced in a small country like Austria.
>>
>>73187843
It should be the capital of Germany honestly. It's a glorious city, even with the Turk infestation.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.