[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amazon coming to Australia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

People are saying are saying that this company will fuck our economy pretty hard when it sets up here. Are they just hysterical?
>>
>>72816936
Amazon is responsible for a lot of brick and mortar business shutting down.
>>
It's true. Amazon is very aggressive and will kill about 20% of local business
>>
Would you rather sell your land to the Chinese as you have been doing?
>>
No, they just are saying
>>
>>72816936
No.
Small stores sell things that amazon won't carry. Big stores are strong enough to withstand it
>>
I see it like this
>Me wants a new MSi graphics card
>Go to Tech Plaza in downtown area
>"No kid no one sells MSi here"
>"Uh ok, show me other brands"
>FUCKING 20 TO 40% OVERPRICED
>nope.jpg
>Go to amazon.com.mx
>MSi at reasonable usd to mxn rate, cheaper than local
>It arrives at my house no need to carry my expensive card in public transport
Amazon steamrolling over local economy right there
>>
>>72817038
Hahahah wrong
>>
>>72817093
Everything amazon sells that isn't something you would get at a large department store is from a 3rd party and completely shit
>>
>>72817081
>Amazon is slowly killing off scam artist stores like radioshack or gamestop in the states

honestly I can't even be mad about it, maybe brick and mortar stores should stop having god awful prices and selections to make up for the inconvenience of leaving my house
>>
>>72816936
You tell me
https://stallman.org/amazon.html
>>
I've never used Amazon before.
How does it work and why does it kill businesses?
>>
>>72817162
there are just as many scammers on amazon
>>
>>72816936
>Are they just hysterical?
yeah p. much, even if Amazon aggressive expansion scheme forces small business to lower their costs down that means that a great deal amount of people won't have to spend as much for such products.
Overcrowding in the market section is why everyone jumped into the modern capitalist economic model
As a personal experience I've seen that the only kind of business that survive a sudden overcrowding are either the "too big to fail" or the "small enough to change". Medium sized companies get the biggest blows but that's why young entrepreneurs should always get ahead everyone. A world without competition is a world without advancement.
>>
>>72816936
They will definitely price a lot smaller electronic stores and book stores out
>>
I work at Amazon and I can tell you the only thing that Amazon will really kill is the fat womens clothing department.

90% of our orders are for overweight retired women wanting sexy underware or married women shopping for kids. You might get an occasion Weeb or dadcore shopper.

We don't see names or anything but you can tell what kind of person someone is by their shopping habits.
>>
>>72817038
Sporting goods stores and electronics stores of all sizes have been getting absolutely rekt by internet sales, and Amazon is a significant part of that.
>>
>>72816936
Wait, Abostralia doesn't have Amazon yet? FUCKING LEL
>>
>>72816936
>fucking australia doesn't even have amazon yet
fuggin wat
lmao
>>
>>72817038
Borders and Barnes and Noble would like a word with you.
>>
File: 1372768236586.jpg (65KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
1372768236586.jpg
65KB, 1000x662px
>>72816936
Oh man, Amazon is so fucking convenient. I've been a prime member for a long time, so I pretty much never pay for shipping.

I have subscriptions for basic things like shampoo, tissues, toilet paper. So I get them sent on a monthly/semi-monthly basis and get 15% off normal amazon price to do it. And amazon already has good prices.

What have I gotten off amazon recently? Socks, vitamins, garbage bags, books, a razor and replaceable blades, a battery for my car, lightbulbs, a lamp, markers, mineral oil, luggage that is exactly the max size for airline carry-ons so I can fit the most stuff in it, belts, pants, batteries, a handheld vacuum, washclothes and a 7.1 surround sound system, projector and screen for a home theater including all cables and plugs.

>>72817314
True story. I have gotten many of my electronics of newegg/amazon, and most of my sporting goods off of there too. Like weights and a bench.

I go to physical stores not just to get goods now, I go to stores if they can provide be a service or assistance. Like I went to a store that specialize in running shoes. They made custom soles for my feet and helped me pick out a shoe for what I wanted to do.

But if I just want a football, weights or some shit, it's off amazon.

But yeah,
>will stores close?
Yes. Stores will close.
>Will, over time, new stores open to adapt to the new market place where physical stores exist to provide services and personalization?
Yes.
>Will amazon have a bunch of jobs for people in their warehouses and customer service and stuff?
Yes.
>Will amazon ultimately reduce the cost of living and make luxuries more available to people?
Yes.
>>
>>72816936
They are not hysterical
>>
>>72817205
It sells tons of products for much cheaper than regular stores
>>
>>72816936
Do you not have online retail companies like Amazon? Are they not killing the local business? In India Flipkart did good damage to local stores even before Amazon came. And when it came it was just more of the same. I would expect at least 10% damage to businesses.
>>
>>72816936
I don't see them being any cheaper than what we already have, nor do I think we will ever get that whole ultra fast free shipping like America has. When it comes to big business and Australia, they ramp up the prices as much as they can, then ramp them up a little more.
But hey, why not. Maybe it will turn out good. As for local businesses, they can get fucked. They refuse to stock properly, do market research, create proper websites and flat out refuse to complete. The ones who are worth their salt would be able to maintain patronage even with something like Amazon more present in the marketplace.
>>
idk, it seems like Amazon was just a matter of good timing in terms of being one of the first big online stores, so now it's a staple regardless of quality. Like how CAD got to be a popular webcomic.

Now there's so much established online shopping in Aus, will it really be a threat? Its prices aren't that amazing as far as I've seen (granted I've only used it once or twice because overseas shipping charges blow any savings out of the water and make it more expensive than alternatives). Back in the day, I'd eye shit on Amazon all the time trying to make the shipping even out, but I've since adapted to our own businesses that have come online and had enough good experiences to develop brand loyalties that I'm certainly not turning away from without good reason.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.