[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lang/ - Language Learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_1389.png (615KB, 2496x2664px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1389.png
615KB, 2496x2664px
>Is OP a faggot?
>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
http://4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_/int/_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

http://www.duolingo.com/
>Duolingo
>kys

>>>/t/746368 #
>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.

https://www.memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

https://lingvist.com/
>You get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

https://www.clozemaster.com/languages
>Mass exposure to vocabulary in context.
>Not recommended for absolute beginners.

https://tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe
>>
Wondering. For the IB curriculum, what languages did you pick and what do you think about doing French B and Spanish Ab Initio at the same time?
>>
I just started learning German.
It's honestly the easiest shit ever.
>>
>that feel when you can't be bothered to start learning
Fuck this, once I start it's the easiest thing ever, but it's impossible for me to sit down and start
>>
I've been brushing up on my :atin. I took just one uni class a few years ago and would like to surpass that level of Latin. I want to read De Bello Gallico next year. Anyone else have experience with dead languages?
>>
>>72686887
>For the IB curriculum

what's this?

>>72687144
It's boring.

>>72687216
Just start.
Stop being a retard, download or buy any decent grammar book and just start.

>>72687581
Don't have any, though I knew a guy from Ireland who was an expert at them.

Why did you choose Latin?
>>
english is difficult
maybe can read it
western game play is almost ok
but my engurish is useable only for shitposting at western forum
talking, hearing... i dont have gaijin friends
>>
>>72687612
IB is like advanced class for smart people

IB Physics
IB Music
IB Languages
IB Math
etc
>>
>>72687778
watch english tv shows and movies
>>
>>72687806
an International Baccalaureate?

>>72687778
you need exposure.
Go to Tokyo, lots of 外国人 there nowadays.
>>
>>72687612
It runs in the family I guess. My grandfather in particular was a Classics professor.
>>
>>72687878
yes, that is what IB stands for
>>
File: pjSCHJehvjc.jpg (109KB, 700x701px) Image search: [Google]
pjSCHJehvjc.jpg
109KB, 700x701px
>>72686864
>dat complicated entiren Easter Europe.
>>
>>72686864
> crammatical cases
>>
English is too primitive to be considered a language.
>>
>>72688047
English is a language of conquest and like the Empire, a product of theft and appropriation.
>>
>>72688093
Did you mean to say it stole the primitiveness from other languages? Are you a racist?
>>
>>72686864
So.... Basques are our distant relatives?

It makes sense.
>>
Chiunque sta imparando italiano?
>>
I really like Georgian language but because of my eternal laziness I only learned the alphabet.
>>
>>72686887
>aiming for anything lower than B
didn't even know A was a thing
>>
>>72689374
Aren't Basques more closely related to celts than to anyone else?
>>
I've been thinking about learning Arabic, but I should probably improve my Japanese first before I take up another language.
>>
>>72690623
Not sure I get what you're saying...
>>
>>72686864

>this thread is dead these days because all the resolutioners have gave up.

>i've not even started my resolution because i can't pick a language

Fuck. :(
>>
>>72687144
For you.
>>
>>72693903
>this thread is dead these days because all the resolutioners have gave up.

No it's just that if you learn a language you spend 99.99% of time learning and 0.01% of discusing with other anons.

>i've not even started my resolution because i can't pick a language

Just pick some language that interests you, or better if you are interested in some culture, history, literature and/or art of some country, then learn that countries language.
>>
File: internal screaming.gif (306KB, 245x186px) Image search: [Google]
internal screaming.gif
306KB, 245x186px
>>72686864
>15
>18
>>
>>72686864
Which is easier, French or Spanish. My English is pretty close to fluent, I think.
>>
>>72690395
Why even bother given only above 3 million people can speak it? Their women aren't gonna sleep with your trashy slav ass anyway.
>>
>>72695014
Both are equally difficult (easy). Even if the former has somewhat more problematic spelling and pronunciation its grammar is way simpler than that of Spanish, thus each has its own peculiarities.
>>
For those who are interested: The official /lang/ Telegram group
https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAED3UID-nkic-jTm3g
And the Discord:
https://discord.gg/F7QrkAs
Come and find partners to practice your target language with and share resources and tips
>>
>>72695863
Thank you. I think I will go with French.
>>
>>72692966
Better to be fluent and motivated for one language than half assing two hard languages.
>>
>>72687581
>learn ancient greek in high school and college
>first time to greece for vacation, think it's close enough
>get treated like a literal autist

yeah
>>
>>72686864
> English
> not 2
Shit map, friendo.
>>
>>72701775
Archaic constructions and words that are grandfathered in (pronouns) don't count lad.
>>
>>72701863
> old words don't exist.
>>
>>72701893
They exist, but they're exceptions to the rule. Same reason irregular verbs are that, irregular, and not called "verb conjugation style 66 and counting"
>>
>>72701863
However much foreigners would like to simplify English, proper, natural English is more complex than what they learn from English media.

Learning to master the declensions of 'who' and 'thou' indicate a fluency which some natives never get.

>>72701970
The 'rule' is that English has two cases, no matter how much foreigners like to simplify.

Whether a verb is 'irregular' or not is a matter of taste and classification. The verb 'to be' is entirely regular if one understands its etymology.
>>
Learning Farsi bump.
>>
>>72705483
سلام دوست
How long have you been learning now and how's that going? I've been going for a month now, and although I can generally read (even if I don't know what it says) now, it still feels very forced/painful. Also, what materials do you use? I use random bits on internet along with TEACH YOURSELF complete persian (modern persian/farsi)
>>
Been thinking about learning German for a while now, couldn't decide whether or not I should pay for a few courses and try and learn that way, but now I'm thinking about getting textbooks used in elementary (grades 5-8) and high school 4 years and going through them in order.

Do you guys think that is a good idea?
>>
>>72707120
High school education is just horrible. You'll be introduced to topics like a kid, and it will try to teach you like a kid to motivate you. If you are motivated, take adult books
>>
>>72707337
Hmm fair enough. Hard to find an adult book that's not "learn german in 30 days!!!" though. Any serious book that's generally agreed upon in these threads as good? Don't care if it's 1000 pages or whatever, I want to learn the grammar as best I can.
>>
How close is modern Italian to classical Latin?
>>
>>72707555
FSI can definatively make you fluent or almost fluent. Lots of drills but incredibly boring.
What I love is the direct method, based on Lingua Latina per se Illustrata. There are german versions of it aswell. Google the direct method
>>
>>72692899
Celts are Indo-Europeans and Basques aren't
>>72708224
Close as any Romance language, I think
>>
>>72702109
Which cases does english have?
>>
>>72710172
Plural and singular
The "s" in "John's dog"
>>
File: 1490188884505.jpg (389KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1490188884505.jpg
389KB, 1284x980px
>>72711910
>plural and singular
>>
>>72706360

Still learning the alphabet. How did you learn the alphabet, im currently using easypersian.com but it feels a bit slow learning 3/4 letters a lesson?
>>
>>72711910
That's called a possessive clitic, and it's not a case.

Because you can say:

"The king of England's dog", but if it were a genitive case, you would say something "The king's of England dog", but you don't.

Clitics are attached to noun phrases, cases are marked for nouns.

Cases in English only exist in pronouns:
he - nominative
him - oblique (accusative + dative, so you say "to him", "for him", "I saw him")
his - genitive/possessive
>>
>>72713119
>you would say something like*
>>
File: 1478318640742.jpg (5KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1478318640742.jpg
5KB, 245x245px
>>72694982
>4
>>
I'm trying to learn greek on duolingo, but I'm having trouble with the alpha-bet

What is a good way to memorize characters/letters?
>>
>>72713766
greek alphabet is extremely easy, just practice. there are no tricks
the language itself is MUCH MUCH harder

the fact that the latin, cyrillic, and greek alphabets are all so similar and work almost exactly the same, makes it very easy to learn, compared to some other scripts, like e.g devanagari
>>
>>72712975
Alphabetically, and then in the groups of "similars" (see also wiki page of persian alphabet)
Basically
>alef/be/pe/te/se
>jim/che/he(-ye jimi)/khe
>dal/zal/re/ze/zhe
>sin/shin/sad/zad/ta/za
>eyn/geyn/fe/qaf/gaf
>lam/mim/nun/vav/he(-ye-docheshm)

As for how I learned them, I just occasionaly write stuff in farsi script. Stuff like people's names, write the "transliterated" word above something in a newspaper, whatever works for you. Just write, a few times a day. Doesn't have to be long, 3 times 5 minutes even works. And it can be hard, but the script is the first hurdle you have to overcome in learning a language that doesn't use latin script.

>>72713766
Practice. Transliterate. Same basically as I did for farsi, but with greek letters.
>>
>>72714043
on the topic of scripts, you can learn to read korean in a day, it's extremely simple
writing is such a small part of language, and is a part which is artificial, so both native and non-native speakers have to learn it
so, mistakes are more excusable and commonplace (which is why native english speakers often confuse "they're" and "their", they're not literally thinking "this is they are house" when they write "this is they're house"
>>
File: 50003067925.jpg (40KB, 640x563px) Image search: [Google]
50003067925.jpg
40KB, 640x563px
>>72687778
have you got a hot mom

invite me over and I'll hang out with you both
>>
>>72701659
because thats like speaking latin in fucking Italy,
>>
>>72701659
You're minding your business in turkey when a random greek kids shows up out of nowhere and reads pic related to you out loud. Would you think that is a sane person?

Of course you got treated like an autist, you are one.
>>
>>72718538
Greece had a written standard that was close to Ancient Greek until very recently (Katharevousa was phased out in 1982)

So speaking Latin in Italy is a bit worse.
>>
Does anyone else translate a sentence into English to understand it, or do you simply understand the text without thinking about English?

Or am I retarded
>>
>>72719321
For me, I can read (some) Russian without thinking about translating.
But for individual words, I translate them to Estonian, or sometimes English first.
>>
File: Asian-scripts.png (313KB, 701x735px) Image search: [Google]
Asian-scripts.png
313KB, 701x735px
bump
>>
>>72708224
Very close in written form, spoken Italian is a bit harder to understand.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.