[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Taking a German class in uni since I've already self-taught

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: faggot dinosaur.png (2KB, 289x288px) Image search: [Google]
faggot dinosaur.png
2KB, 289x288px
>Taking a German class in uni since I've already self-taught a lot, like learning languages and it doesn't cost me any more than not taking it
>Realize half of the class is failing/getting very low grades because they don't care and only took it as a language requirement for their brainlet majors
SPANISH AND FRENCH ARE OFFERED AND 20X EASIER, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU TAKE GERMAN
>>
Is it harder though?
>>
>>72661853
Relatively arbitrary case systems, beyond absurd grammar and sentence structure rules etc.
>>
>>72661887
I agree with the rules and everything. But the French speak so quickly and they don't pronounce a lot of letters.

Dutch is more like German so 90% here thinks that German is easier. I preferred French but like I said I could never understand what they were saying.
>>
>>72662225
Oh I don't know about pronunciation, just that learning the actual language on paper is more difficult in German. Was considering Dutch after German, although I'm still trying to actually sound half-native in German

I understand how words are pronounced but I'm trying to drop the burger accent
>>
>>72661457
>have german for 7 years
>can't speak it
It is such a shit language
what a shame I have no other choice
>>
>>72662225
>Dutch is more like German so 90% here thinks that German is easier.
Until you get to the grammar. Vocabulary you can poop out with ease, but grammar is a nightmare. Like that American anon said, it feels incredibly arbitrary.

You'd think French would be the other way around, but even its vocabulary is understandable enough if you combine English and Latin.
>But the French speak so quickly and they don't pronounce a lot of letters.
Problem for real life French, a non-issue for classroom French.
>>
>>72664801
I have the opposite impression about german grammar. It seems pretty regular to me, whereas french grammar is a collection of clusterfuck contraptions.

Spoken everyday french is quite different from written french. Pronunciation is a bitch and we tend to speak quite quick.
>>
File: german_grammar[1].jpg (143KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
german_grammar[1].jpg
143KB, 800x600px
>>72665015
You have different cases for different temporals of verbs. Something in the past conjugates in three different ways depending on where/when it took place (imparfait, parfait, plus-que-parfait), something in the future differently (futur) etc. The only really difficult one is conditionel (with "que" mostly). French also only has male and female words, and you kind of get the hang of it by looking at how the words end. Some English professor I think made a list with letters the words in French end on and could with about 95% certainity predict whether words are male or female based solely on that.

German has three genders, conjugates verbs based on time and conjugates nouns too (pic related). In that way it's a lot like Latin, with the exception that in Latin class you were only expected to have passive knowledge while in German you need active knowledge as well.

>Spoken everyday french is quite different from written french. Pronunciation is a bitch and we tend to speak quite quick.
I concur. I like to believe my own French is overall pretty good and when I speak French with others I'm often told that I'm quite decent. I can't watch French tv shows to save my life though.
>>
>>72665179
I forgot about passé simple, but outside of literature that one is practically never used, right?
>>
>>72665179
The fact that we don't have any declensions doesn't save us from a complicated conjugison system.
For german declension, out of the "règle du pistolet" (as we call the declensions highlighted in yellow in your picture) I find it quite easy.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.