[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

outdated names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 12

File: Ethel_merman_1967[1].jpg (149KB, 700x937px) Image search: [Google]
Ethel_merman_1967[1].jpg
149KB, 700x937px
Hey /int/. Lately I've been thinking about names in other countries. Specifically, what are the old, outdated names of other countries?

Like, what are some of the names in your country that make you think, "this person was probably born a while ago"?

In the USA, some of these names for women might be: Ethel, Mabel, Louise, Rosemarie, Evelyn, Agatha, Agnes, etc.

For USA men: Louis, Alfred, Oscar, Abe, Larry, etc.
>>
There aren't a lot of young Barbaras or Janets.
>>
>>72346168
any woman name ends with "-iye"
>>
>>72346168
How much fucking airbrushing did they use on that photo?

>like an almost 60 year old woman would have skin and a neckline like that
>>
File: pepe.jpg (210KB, 800x770px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
210KB, 800x770px
>Oscar
>outdated in the USA
I think not
>>
>>72346335
Most people associate that name with Oscar the Grouch or Oscar from Hey Arnold. I've never met any Oscars IRL. You may as well wonder when's the last Grover you met.
>>
File: Oscar-can[1].png (1MB, 810x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Oscar-can[1].png
1MB, 810x1200px
>>72346335
true. now that i think about it "oscar" is sort of common among hispanics. i think it's a shit tier name though...it's an ugly-sounding word, and it just reminds me of oscar the grouch
>>
I thought Oscar was mostly a Scandinavian or Eastern European name.
>>
For women: Sebastiana, Hermínia, Alzira, Salomé, Leonor, Rute and Odete.

Fom men: Angelo, Aloísio, Teobaldo, Jair, Geraldo, Fernão, Salvador and Onésimo.
>>
>>72346297
Besides, her facial structural still gives her age away. She probably had a neck waddle and warty, leathery old skin.
>>
Women: Louise, Sharon, Barbara, Jean, Rhonda, any variant of Rose

Men: Jerry, Bill, Frank, Alan/Albert, Louis, Larry, Walter
>>
>>72346168
Funny, because every Fred and Ethel joke I ever heard was made by a baby boomer and I never ever heard anyone younger mention those characters.
>>
Some ancient names like Ruby and Abigail oddly managed to come back since the 90s. I guess names like Mildred will never return because they sound very unpleasant to the modern ear.
>>
>>72346819
I think Grace has kind of come back.
>>
>Winston
>Grant
>Ulysses
>Edgar
>Warren
>Gerald

>Abigail
>Esther
>Marie-Anne
>>
>>72346168
Men: Franc, Jože, Ivan, Tone, Stane, Slavko, Henrik, Alfred, Drago

Women: Marija, Jožica, Ivanka, Tončka, Stanka, Slavka, Mihaela, Pavla
>>
>>72346950
Eh? Abigail has been a very popular baby name in the last two decades.
>>
>>72347073
Strange.
The only Abigails I've ever met were elderly, including a great-aunt.
>>
Albert
Winston
Arthur (I guess there are some but not many)
Reginald
Bertrand
Neville
Henry
Archibald

Things like that
>>
I hear that in Poland, only old guys have -slaw names like Wladislaw, Stanislaw, etc.

Also from what I understand, in Germany, only old people have the "traditional" names like Heinrich, Klaus, Kurt, Wernher, Gretchen, Maria, etc.
>>
>>72346168
Pearl.

It's almost exclusively a grandma name now.
>>
>>72347211
kinda weird because it almost sounds like a stripper name
>>
>>72346297
How do you know that photo was taken? She could have been younger than almost 60
>>
>>72347135
https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-abigail-15.htm

According to this, Abigail wasn't even a popular name at the start of the 20th century. It was regarded as ancient and stuffy at that time, but suddenly blossomed in popularity in the 90s.

Also I did happen to know an Abigail who was born in the Clinton years, so...
>>
>>72347187
What names do young people in Germany have? Khalid? Ngu? Aziz? :^)
>>
>>72347257
It's explicitly dated 1967, nimrod. It was from her guest appearance on the Adam West Batman show.
>>
Emma is another ancient, stuffy name that came back in the 90s. I also knew one who was a Clinton baby.
>>
>>72347319
Bantz aside, younger people in Germany mostly have Jewish names like Aaron, Sarah, and David because guilt trip.
>>
>>72347185
What're your names like today - Tyler, Mason and Perry?
>>
>>72347477
more like Deano, John, Steve, Dave etc.
>>
>>72347477
Alice and Charlotte are traditional favorite girl names in Britain, but they've never been popular here.
>>
>>72346441
>>72346467
It's ugly but it's anglo saxon in origin (or earlier saxon viking whatever) from osgar os -bright iirc gar spear I think, so bright spear something like that.
>>
some of these names are ok
>>
>>72346467
I know a guy named Oskar

it's not that common but it's not a recent import either

>>72347564
so you've all gone pleb on the surface?
>>
>>72347670
depends on the class of people, those are typical "lads" names

if you're asking about upper middle class or higher they'll all be called Harry, William, George, Charles, Jacob, Benjamin and things like that
>>
Baby boomer names are stuff like Linda, Barbara, Beverly, Patricia, Susan, Rhonda, Alan, Steve, and Jerry.

Gen Xer names are stuff like Jennifer, Robin, Kimberly, Heather, Melissa, Michelle, Scott, Brad, and Jason

Millenial names are stuff like Jessica, Ashley, Stacey, Lindsay, Zach, Ryan, Brandon, and Derek
>>
>>72347818
>Ryan

that's me
>>
>>72347187
Unless in Russia where they never change names.
>>
>>72347818
>Jessica
I've never met a Jessica that wasn't born in the 80s. I guess that's borderline millenial by some counts but there's a definite difference in names between 80s kids and later 90s/00s kids.

Also fucking Ava, Aidan/kayden/jayden/brayden and so on fucking retarded names that are suddenly extremely common
>>
>>72347818
>Baby boomer names are stuff like Linda, Barbara, Beverly, Patricia, Susan, Rhonda, Alan, Steve, and Jerry.

Nancy. There are no Nancys born after the 50s.
>>
>>72348050
I was born in 88 and I never remember having a Jessica for a classmate although there were millions of Ashleys and Zachs.
>>
>>72348050
Late 90s is when you start seeing names like Abigail, Sophia, and Emma become popular.
>>
Colombian here, I haven't hear people call somebody Theodore lately, is a rare name or just outdated?

Also, let's add some of our names to that list

Margarita, Josefina, Gregorio, Leonardo, Wenceslao and Abelardo
>>
>>72348249
It's outdated for the most part which is a shame because I kinda like the name.
>>
I knew an Adrian who was born in 92. Her mother was born in the early 70s (I think) and was named Kimberly. Her grandmother was born in 1951 and was named Carolyn (shoulda mentioned that was also a common boomer name). Her great grandmother was an Elsie, who was born in 1914 and lived to 99 (!). They all lived up to the stereotypes of their respective generations so much that it was hilarious.

>autistic Millenial bitch who used to be into nu metal back in the day, now an overweight /pol/-tier racist
>Gen X slacker who never did anything of importance with her life
>le liberated 80s career woman
>housewife who said "nigger" a lot and had a lot of bullshit stories about the Great Depression
>>
>>72348106
All those Jessicas were probably a couple years older.
>>
File: Job_Adriaensz._Berckheyde_001.jpg (431KB, 1600x1261px) Image search: [Google]
Job_Adriaensz._Berckheyde_001.jpg
431KB, 1600x1261px
>>72346168
Cornelis
Jan
Dick
Lodewijk
Bernhard
Johannes
Barend/Berend

But honestly you could fill a book with names only people over sixty have.
>>
>>72348050
It's kind of like how early Gen Xers (the ones born in the 60s) had names like Christine and Lisa, while the later ones born in the 70s constituted all the Kimberlys and Jennifers.
>>
>>72348346
>autistic Millenial bitch who used to be into nu metal back in the day, now an overweight /pol/-tier racist

I didn't know any women were like that.
>>
>>72348524
Her ggrandmother was a pretty bad influence, but it's mostly because she went to a high school that was 80% ghetto nigs and...that would turn anyone into a raging Stormfag.
>>
Slavic names, lol. And Greek names are limited to ones that nobility used to chose. They preferred more simple things than merchants and peasants.
>>
I don't know in Portugal, because I've heard they have actual laws preventing people to name their babies with un-portuguese names (at least AFAIK).

Here there's differentiation only from upper to lower classes. Traditional names for the upper, João, José, Pedro, Maria, Antônia, Regina, etc , regular ones.

Lower classes (or retarded people) name Jonatas (sic), Diarley, Lincon (sic), Maxsuel (sic), and other bizarre names you'll find for men if you google some football players here. For women they can get weirder, like Sheilla (sic), Sirlane, Claudete, Xaiane, and so on.

Actual old names are from dead people or people over 80 years old common, like Atanásio, Dilermano, Teobaldo, Eurípedes, Germano, etc for men, and Alzira, Elvira, Mercedes, Mafalda and etc for women. When there's someone actual named like that, they get more jokes than the lower class ones...
>>
Female names change style more often than male names, but still, there are those names like Steve, Brad, and Zach that are really linked with one particular generation.
>>
>>72347185
Neville sounds pretty cool. If I ever find myself moving to the Anglo-sphere and having a family I might consider that name.
>>
Hazel has started to become popular since 2010 after having not been seen at all since Coolidge was president.
>>
Why are portuguese names so fucking disgusting?
>>
>>72348589
Russian also have the unique quirk of putting an -a suffix on women's surnames, thus Popov/Popova, Konev/Koneva, Zhirinovsky/Zhirinovskaya, etc.
>>
>>72348709
There was someone called Neville Neville
>>
>>72346676
Jean was sometimes used as a first name, but more often a middle name like Barbara Jean. This was very common among white trash women who grew up in the 50s and had a living room decorated with tacky Elvis memorabilia.
>>
>>72348882
t. Jose Maria Villalobos-Guzman
>>
>>72349064
Ashley is a very popular white trash Millenial name. Also all those -den names like Jayden, Brayden, that kids born in the 2000s have? Total trailer park core.
>>
Shirley enjoyed a huge fad in the 1930s but it's never been seen or heard from since.
>>
>>72348598
>Actual old names are from dead people or people over 80 years old common, like Atanásio, Dilermano, Teobaldo, Eurípedes, Germano, etc for men, and Alzira, Elvira, Mercedes, Mafalda and etc for women

Plutarcho.
>>
>>72349173
I don't see that one ever coming back. It has too much of that beehive and horn rimmed glasses image.
>>
I knew some Millenial Melissas even though it's supposed to be mainly a Gen Xer name. And I knew at least one Heather.
>>
My mom must be getting old because she always refers to blacks as "Leroy".
>>
>>72349232
don't you ever feel the urge to don a squarish grey suit, lean against an office table with a glass of scotch in your hand and say out loud: "dat Shoiley...she sure is one fine lookin' broad'
>>
>>72349289
A lot of names stay popular for a few decades, for instance Bill and Jim were very common male names from the 1920s through the 50s but died out afterwards and have never come back. Jim is one of those consummate old guy names.
>>
>>72347818
Kelly. That's another very common Millenial name.
>>
>>72349413
I knew a Cindy who was born in the 70s although that name was mainly popular in the late 50s.
>>
>>72349347
At what point did blacks start naming kids "Deshawn" and "Laquisha" and "Ladamian" and other unpronounceable shit?
>>
>>72347818
Mark is another 50s baby boomer name.
>>
Even your big English proper names like Edward, Robert, George, Thomas, Benjamin, William and so on are starting to sound gentrified. I agree with what that anon said about Mildred, it sounds awful and I don't see it coming back. A name like Abigail sounds alright, especially when compared to old woman names like Ethel or Mildred.
>>
Leonard. Is there a single one born after the 1940s?
>>
>>72348902
It's not a "unique quirk", Slavic languages have got genders.
>>
>>72349689
Abigail's diminutive is "Abby" which doesn't sound too bad. Mildred's diminutive is "Milly" which sounds really bad.
>>
>>72349689
>tfw no Milicent gf
>>
>>72349689
Ed, George, and William haven't been popular since before the 1960s.
>>
>>72349696
My cousin's name is Leonard, but he's from Germany. Actually, my family has a fair number of uncommon names. Cornelia, Markus, Valentin, etc.
>>
Any other Johns here?
>>
>>72349755
George has not been popular for a while now. Ed may have fallen out of favor but Edward as a full name sounds like it would still be popular. There are still tons of Williams.
>>
Back in the 19th century, people liked to name kids after presidents. For example, I had an ancestor whose first and middle name were James Garfield. But this trend largely died out after the 1920s.
>>
>>72346168
Michel, Jean, Pierre, Charles, Gérard, Jacques, Roger, Frédérique, Paul.
Basically traditionnal french names which are fucking common and accepted on foreign countries, if you has those names here, you will be mocked.

to be "cool" you need to have an anglo name like kévin, brandon, killian, dylan.
or if not some shit without identity and overused like Sébastien, Maxime, Clément, Mathieu, Thomas, Valentin, Alexandre.
>>
Ginette, Jeanette, Gilles, Jean, Jacques, Marcel, Pierre, Émilien...
>>
>>72349825
I thought that popular baby names in France would be Nassim, Walid, Zakaria, that sort of thing.
>>
>>72346297
>>72347257
I always thought that this whole facelifting shit is twofold. They want to look younger yet they don't want anyone to think that they are just old bitches trying to look younger. Basically there is no way to achieve that, short of actually magically becoming young again. But that doesn't stop them. Hmm.
And men do that too. We have an old dude at work who looks like he is fucking 70. And not a single gray hair. Thats just looks unnatural.

>>72347380
>nimrod
lmao, rare
>>
>>72349862
Valentin sonne tellement gai.
>>
>>72349913
>baby names
oh goddamn this is just nonsensical shit like "Timéo".
>>
The ultimate old lady name is Gertrude. For men it's Mortimer
>>
File: Caroline.png (45KB, 983x688px) Image search: [Google]
Caroline.png
45KB, 983x688px
>mfw that early 60s spike

:^)
>>
Helen, Beatrice, Margaret, Shirley
>>
>>72350018
I forgot that Caroline has become popular recently.
>>
>>72348325
I know a couple Theodores actually but they go by Teddy or Theo. Which is dumb.
>>
>>72349943
Ouais c'est surtout que ces fameux noms sont tellement utilisé que ça en devient à gerber, je sais pas pourquoi c'est devenu ridicule d'avoir des noms normaux et courants dans d'autres pays, ici te traite de vieux ou de paysans si tu t'appelle comme ça.

faut avoir un nom de série américaine, un nom italien (genre enzo), un truc ultra utilisé, un diminutif anglo-saxon (jimmy, timmy, kelly) ou sinon un truc nouveau sans sens du genre "timéo" "kallian "millan" "maelo"
>>
Evfrosinia
Glafira
Isolda
Parasha
Xenia
Zinaida
>>
>>72349922
I think it was a not very well guarded secret that Ronald Reagan's hair was dyed.
>>
>>72350080
What about Galina? Cause Galina sounds hot.
>>
Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumer, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Chloe, Max, Hunter, Kendall, Kaitlin, Noah, Sasha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Qbert, and Phil.
>>
Jose
Jose Antonio

Juan

Juan Manuel
Juan Diego
Juan Antonio
>>
>>72349922
It wasn't facelifted, the people who took the photo of Ethel Merman doctored it to hide what was very likely her aging, saggy skin.
>>
>>72350106
I get the reference, it's not funny, and you need to end yourself.
>>
>>72350101
Yes, forgot Galina. Definitely same style.
>>
>>72350172
come on, why is not funny
>>
Alright, here we go. Sans airbrushing.
>>
>>72350209
Those teeth are still fake as fuck.
>>
>>72350209
ahaha excellent. point proven
>>
Giacomo
>>
>>72349413
Bill and Jim are short for William and James, respectively, both still fairly common names for boys/men, as are the short versions though Will is far more common than Bill.
>>
>>72350232
but they may be naturally fake, as in "no need to shop them" lel
>>
>>72349728
Oh damn when I was a kid my dad would take me to get my hair cut at a barber/hairdresser whatever with Ms. Milly, this was in the 80s/early 90s and she was all old and basically exactly what you'd expect from a Milly. I bet she was quite the sloot back in the 50s.
>>
Courtney is also a pretty common Millenial name.
>>
>>72350101
Galina makes the think of, well the lead mineral obviously, but also one of the Aes Sedai in the Wheel of Time series was named Galina... She was a stuck up cunt but bad things happened to her lol.
>>
how about Omar?
>>
>>72350375
I know an Omar he's early 20s, his parents are Somalians though (but the PhD holding sort).
>>
My grandmother was a Grace. Apparently this name has started to come back lately.
>>
>>72350390
heh, i was in the middle east for some time and some of the guys there thought i was one of em
>>
Sally is another boomer name I'm positive has never been given to a single child after the Eisenhower years.
>>
>>72350448
https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-sally-3987.htm
>>
I am a 21 yo Phillip
How common is this name and variations in other cunts? Like Fillipe or whatever
>>
>>72350448
Don't forget Evelyn. Another 1920s to 50s name that's totally extinct now.
>>
German names are not really used anymore

More educated people try to go for more neutral Christian names while the lower classes use French/American names or names they've seen on TV like Kevin.
>>
My grandfather had a bad ass name but you never hear of it anymore..
Motherfucking Horace.
H O R A C E
O
R
A
C
E
>>
>>72350527
rudolf?
>>
>>72350062
>>72349969
Sounds like what the other guy said about how nobody in Germany uses names like Heinrich or Wolfgang anymore because they're old guy/dumb farmer.
>>
Dorothy. That's an old one. Never a young person these days called Dorothy.
>>
Leobardo, grampapa's name. he's a really big tall dude and the name it just fits perfectly to him. Was a butcher ran his own shop in the old country. Just saying the name just sounds powerful. I fucking love him.

I'm definitely gonna pass that name down
>>
>>72349825
In the event we see an uptick in Donalds being born...
>>
>>72350534
Horace? Like the Horus Heresy?
>>
>>72350534
Horacio
>>
>>72350581
leobardo da binci :DDDDD
>>
>>72350578
Yeah, I forgot that one. Very popular in the 1910s-20s.
>>
how about Quentin?
>>
>>72350631
HAHAHA OMG that dude's grampa is a spurdo omfg
>>
>>72350606
Ronald and Donald were popular mainly in the 1930s IIRC.
>>
>>72350647
Every Quentin I ever met was a fucking weirdo.
>>
>>72350631
heh

Reynaldo/ Reinaldo or Reymundo/Reimundo

those sound cool
>>
>>72350527
>or names they've seen on TV like Kevin
Stewie, Cartman, etc.
>>
I always liked Lynn. If I had a daughter, I'd name her that. Hazel is pretty, but I wouldn't really name a kid with it.
>>
>>72350554
Nope, anything Germanic is unusual, except nordified or anglified. So instead of Erich you get Eric or Erik etc.
>>
I do agree that most of the traditional English names like James, William, Harold, John, and Tom aren't very common anymore.
>>
Adolph is banned in a whole bunch of countries, though amusingly enough not Germany.
>>
File: 2cmpvgj.jpg (16KB, 200x303px) Image search: [Google]
2cmpvgj.jpg
16KB, 200x303px
>>72348463
>Dick
Not even Richard
>>
Connie was popular in the 50s too I thought?
>>
Virginia
>>
>>72349413
Bill is a nickname for William ya dingus
>>
>>72346168
Matilda, it used to be common with girls

Ned for guys
>>
>>72350527
You know anyone called fucking Jaegar? I shit you not, my parents thought it'd be fantastic banter to name me Jaegar.
>>
File: 1489190755534.jpg (50KB, 433x469px) Image search: [Google]
1489190755534.jpg
50KB, 433x469px
>>72347026
>Ivan, Marija
Really? In Croatia they're pretty common.
The most common by far is probably Filip (basically Philip) for some reason. Luka is pretty popular

I think that names that end with -ko aren't that popular. Like Darko, Slavko, Jerko (kek).
Though, Marko is pretty popular

Croatian names are pretty southern European tier, but with a Slavic spin.

Some names that are 'international' that are nowadays pretty common here: Lara, Mia, Lea, Hana, Tina, Ines, Ana, Ema, David, Karlo, Leon, Jakov, Antonio, Mateo, Sven, Nikola (surprisingly a male name)
>>
>>72349755
You do know that William has been inn the top 20 baby names since they started keeping track of these things
>>
>>72351137
Jaegar sounds like some kind of anime name, it's certainly not German. Maybe they meant Jäger, which means Hunter, though nobody would call their kid that ... well I guess except Americans who literally call their kids Hunter.
>>
>>72351169
Hunter1*
>>
>>72351169
They were going for Jäger but didn't want me to have umlauts in my name. Just fuck my shit up.
>>
There was once a country we called, "the Ukraine", but now it is called Russian Federation
>>
>>72351221
2*

I'm an aspie
>>
>>72351228
You sure they just didn't name you After a clothing brand
>>
Grisolda/Griselda
>>
>>72351169
Hunter is a fairly common English name, other Euros definitely used "Hunter" in their own language, maybe it's not common now but it was definitely used. If Americans use it, it's because the usage derives from hundreds of years ago, before they existed. We definitely use it here in Aus.
>>
Gino
Dario
Valentino
Sylvester
Federico
Felipe
>>
>>72351626
Good the number of annoying Italians went down
>>
File: Rossi_1.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Rossi_1.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>72351658
Not quite amico mio
>>
>>72351898
Go home vinnie
>>
Our country also has those Neo-African (Nigger) names

L'Shantaee, L'Beeatris, L'Darius, I work with a girl named Tashaenda

Black people, with their efforts to go back to their roots, have only fucked up their children's lives forever by giving them retarded psuedoethnic names.
>>
>>72348050
>>72348106
I had a Jessica in my grade school class so she would have been born in 1990/91
>>
>>72349567
60s/70s when kwanza came around and they hated the fact that their names were the names of slavemasters (Jefferson, Washington, etc.) and wanted to have african sounding names so they made some up.
>>
>>72347185
Really? Henry is an old name? Seems really normie to me.
>>
File: dagny.jpg (290KB, 785x1197px)
dagny.jpg
290KB, 785x1197px
Female names: Margot, Rigmor, Dagny, Borgny, Lisbeth, Edel and Bibi.

Not so good with male names but Alfred and Olaf sounds old.
>>
>>72352926

Also Rikard

many English, French and Latin inspired names used a lot in Norway during the 19th and early 20th century sounds old fashioned now.
>>
>>72346168
Winifred, Betty, Betsy, Mabel, Muriel.

>>72351138
>“Nikola (surprisingly a male name)”
simpleton, 'tis from greek but with the ending «-ος» cut-out. (Latin ending «-us»).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas
>>
Afroxilanthi, Soumela, Glykeria, Pavlina, Stergiani, Egisilaos, Efklidis, Diamando, I could write all night long
>>
>>72346168
some "lusified" german names.
Leopoldo, godofredo, ludovico, there are more but can't remember
>>
Gisela, been a while since I heard anyone nominated “Rhonda”,
Henrik.
Sadly in here, some parents can't stop
>muh native irish heritage
from getting in the way of seeing sense and nominate them something gaelic, even if the name doesn't have its origin in Ireland like “Mícheál”.
>>72347187
>I hear that in Poland, only old guys have -slaw names like Wladislaw, Stanislaw, etc.
no, quite a favor for names from Latin, like “Mariusz”, “Janusz”, “Dariusz”
>>72352359
What is it about Niggers and their faux française?
>>72351235
*Malorossija*
>>
>>72346516
There's plenty of young Gerardos, Alonsos and Fernandos here
>>72346950
Ulises and Edgar too
>>72347026
Also Ivans and Marías
>>
In Germany you can often tell the age of someone just by seeing the name without seeing the person

really old: Heinrich, Wilhelm, Günther, Dietrich etc
old: Dieter, Peter, Jürgen, Uwe, Klaus etc
mid-age: Stefan, Christian, Ralf etc
young: Sebastian, Philipp, Alexander etc
very young: Kevin, Justin, Jerome-Leroy, Jaden-Dylan, Etienne-Mohammed etc
>>
File: alexander.png (14KB, 602x307px) Image search: [Google]
alexander.png
14KB, 602x307px
My name will probably be so after the inevitable crash.
It doesn't feel so good to be born at the height of "Alexander" popularity. It's strangely both a name that sounds very antiquated (like my brother, "Nathaniel") but is very popular recently. My brother was born on the first "Nathaniel" plateau and that name is falling in popularity fast.
>>
>>72353675
How old is Hans?
>>
>>72353837
really old - old
modern version is Jan
>>
>>72353899
Wikipedia says it a German version of John-Jean-Jonas-Ivan-Evan series. Is that accurate?
>>
>>72353964
It's short for Johannes which is the same as the names mentioned by you, eventually it became a name on its own, now it is outdated.
>>
File: john.png (13KB, 625x314px) Image search: [Google]
john.png
13KB, 625x314px
>>72353979
Ah, interesting. John has collapsed over the last few hundred years. I wonder how prevalent that trend is in other countries.
>>
>>72346168
Nestor, Flor, Arkadiy, Evlampiy are easy examples of 19th century-tier male names.

Dusya, Galina for females.
>>
>>72346168
I have a guy, who's name is Vol'ga in the University.

Literally the first time I've encountered that name like ever.

Have in mind, that my name is Gleb, which is already a rare one. Westerners have trouble pronouncing it for some reason.
>>
>>72353837
My name is Johannes. At home they call me Hannes or Hansä (Bavarian version of Hans)
>>
>>72353979
How outdated is Siegfried?

Can right-leaning parents be spotted, when their kid has an excessively German name?
>>
>>72354118
T. Gleb the pleb
>>
>>72354139
really old

the funny thing is people who may be considered right wing, often in the east, give their kids stupid ass anglo names, while more educated people who are heavily leftist use more traditional names
>>
>>72354154
It's a heavily changed Scandi name.

The counterpart would be Gudleif in Norway/Sweden.

Essentially is the same name.
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.